Does my cat play too hard?

empy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently took in a cat from a bad home. I'm still in touch with his previous owner, and when I told her how much he loves to play, she said, "Gimpy plays? I have never once seen him play!" (His name is Gimpy because his deformed back legs make him walk funny). Naturally, that made me really happy, because if he's playing here, when he never played in the bad home, that must mean he's having a much better time now. But every night he zooms around the house with his toy so much that he starts breathing very heavily and even snorting. I'm worried he's taking it too far, but I definitely don't want to deny him of his happiness and fun time. Is this abnormal? Should I try to get him to not play so hard?

Hope this isn't a dumb question. This is my first post...

jadeleaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not a weird or dumb question.

They get a bit over exhausted and start panting sometimes. Sometimes it's good to let them wind themselves down enough so they can relax and not end up with bursts of energy for no reason when it's sleeping time lol. Let them run themselves ragged, they usually know when they've had enough.

I'd say only worry if he starts fainting. Try giving a wee bit ice cold cat milk or water eith ice cubes if you think he's over exhausted and overheating.

You could have him checked, it's always safe to ask a vet but if it's only when he plays I'd say he's just over exerting himself. I've seen cats like that that pant like asthmatic humans lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Overheating was another thing I was a bit worried about since we're having an unusually hot summer here in Washington. I will definitely try giving him a nice cool-down drink after he has his hyper time! Good to now he's not overdoing it too (yet). Thanks so much for your reply!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he had a vet check recently?  How is is weight?  If he never played before; he might just be out of shape.  The hot weather is a factor to consider too.  But I would consider a vet visit just to give you an idea of his general condition.  Noodles pants when she plays too hard and she does have a heart condition.  Because of that; I'd say it's something you might want to be aware of.  Not to panic; but look into it.