Does my cat look skinny or thin?

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does my cat look skinny? She is eating well (a little amount several times a day—a grazer). She weighs about 9 lbs for over a year now. I’m monitoring her weight monthly. She is long and thin. Her fur is silky and smooth. She’s active and runs around the house. I’m just worried because my other cats weigh 10 lbs or more and looks leaner.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does my cat look skinny? She is eating well (a little amount several times a day—a grazer). She weighs about 9 lbs for over a year now. I’m monitoring her weight monthly. She is long and thin. Her fur is silky and smooth. She’s active and runs around the house. I’m just worried because my other cats weigh 10 lbs or more and looks leaner.

Thanks for your help!
Also she is spayed when she was 4 months old. She is now 3 years old.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her coat looks very shiny and healthy too! Some cats are smaller than others. Does she bug you for a bit more food or does she seem happy with what she eats?

Here's a chart that will help you determine if she is the right body condition.
She’s a bit picky with food. But always eat everyday. Sometimes, she just smells her food and walks away. But will come back in an hour or two.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat !!!! I think she has an Oriental type frame which is long legs and sleek body.

Just gorgeous, shiny healthy kitty...😊
Thank you! Yes, I think her frame is sleek and long. All of my cats except her are a bit chubby.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks like a beautiful healthy cat. My11yr old cat is almost 7 pds. Healthy weight for her small frame. As long as no bones sticking out. I do have to feed her multiple times a day small amount
I can feel her ribs when I touch it but not visible under her coat.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her coat looks very shiny and healthy too! Some cats are smaller than others. Does she bug you for a bit more food or does she seem happy with what she eats?

thanks for the chart! i think she’s #4!

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I was gonna say she looks good to me, too. But my Tessa is a “whopping” 6.8 lbs. The chart is helpful. Tessa looks like a 4.
BUT, uh oh, my Smudgers is a 6! And looks like he might be pushing 7!! I’d better try to trim him down 😮

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WHAT A GORGEOUS GIRLIE!!!! *swoon* I have a kitty that I thought was “abnormally” skinny but cats come in every size and shape! As long as there isn’t any alarming health or behavioral issues, she’s just a petite lil princess!! :heartshape:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can feel her ribs when I touch it but not visible under her coat.
The way I've heard it described is that if you open up your hand flat, palm down, and feel across your first knuckles (where your fingers and the rest of your hand meet), that's how your cat's ribs should feel. You'll be able to feel them. But they aren't very distinct unless you exert a little pressure. If you make a fist and then feel your knuckles, how they are more individual and pronounced, if her ribs feel like that with no pressure exerted, that's too skinny.

Just looking at her, she looks very healthy: trim, but not too skinny.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WHAT A GORGEOUS GIRLIE!!!! *swoon* I have a kitty that I thought was “abnormally” skinny but cats come in every size and shape! As long as there isn’t any alarming health or behavioral issues, she’s just a petite lil princess!! :heartshape:
Thank you! I guess she really is just this way.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The way I've heard it described is that if you open up your hand flat, palm down, and feel across your first knuckles (where your fingers and the rest of your hand meet), that's how your cat's ribs should feel. You'll be able to feel them. But they aren't very distinct unless you exert a little pressure. If you make a fist and then feel your knuckles, how they are more individual and pronounced, if her ribs feel like that with no pressure exerted, that's too skinny.

Just looking at her, she looks very healthy: trim, but not too skinny.
Oh thank you for this info! her ribs feel more like when i touch my knuckles hands open (palm down)

TeacupCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s really beautiful! To me, she is slim, but she doesn’t appear unhealthy or too skinny in any way.
I would judge it on how old she is, and has she Always been this weight, or is this a recent occurrence. Have you recently noticed she looks thin, or has she always looked just like this?
You can’t go by the weight of other cats, every cat is an individual, like people. :winkcat:
Right now, I have this very small cat. She was born in my garage nearly two years ago (3/26 she’ll be two yrs.old). I call her my “baby cat”. I never had a cat this small. I have her mother too, who is petite. All cats vary in weight, depending on their size and build. My question would be “has she Always been this size”?
She’s gorgeous! :lovecat2:

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above posters. She looks in beautiful condition, with no ribs visibly showing, so most likely she's a petite cat with an oriental type build. She's an absolute beauty, anyway! I have a huge weakness for torties and calicos, and for cats with that light, leggy build.

TeacupCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right now, my baby cat is a Calico and her mama is a Tortie! I just lost a beloved Calico (& a Tabby) a few months before I found this pregnant cat in my backyard, nearly two years ago. I was Thrilled when one of her four kittens was a Calico! 😻

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s really beautiful! To me, she is slim, but she doesn’t appear unhealthy or too skinny in any way.
I would judge it on how old she is, and has she Always been this weight, or is this a recent occurrence. Have you recently noticed she looks thin, or has she always looked just like this?
You can’t go by the weight of other cats, every cat is an individual, like people. :winkcat:
Right now, I have this very small cat. She was born in my garage nearly two years ago (3/26 she’ll be two yrs.old). I call her my “baby cat”. I never had a cat this small. I have her mother too, who is petite. All cats vary in weight, depending on their size and build. My question would be “has she Always been this size”?
She’s gorgeous! :lovecat2:
Yes, I think she’s always been this way. I checked her medical records for two years, and her weight has not changed since.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i
I agree with the above posters. She looks in beautiful condition, with no ribs visibly showing, so most likely she's a petite cat with an oriental type build. She's an absolute beauty, anyway! I have a huge weakness for torties and calicos, and for cats with that light, leggy build.
i love calicos too!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat,11 yrs old has been exactly 7 pds since 2,maybe. Slowly dropped to 6.5 because she was having trouble eating. Her weights is slowly coming back since her cavity removal. Something like that