Does my cat have Ragdoll in her?

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is purely for curiosity's sake, I of course love her no matter what.

I have a 3-year-old longhair domestic named Maya. An online friend of mine's family breeds Ragdolls and one day recently while we were talking about our respective cats I sent her a picture of Maya and she commented that she looked like she had some Ragdoll in her and asked if I knew anything about her parents. I told her what I knew of Maya's background (she, her mother, and her siblings were rescued from an abusive owner when Maya's litter was young) and sent her a picture of her mother. My friend said that her mother looked like she could pass for purebred if she wasn't. Obviously because she's a rescue I don't know much about her background genetically, I have no idea where her mother came from or how their previous owner came to have her and I don't know who Maya's father is. I know it's highly unlikely that her mother was a purebred Ragdoll given their situation but I figure it's not impossible that she at least had a good amount of Ragdoll in her.

I've looked a little bit into the breed but I don't know much about it, I've mostly gone off of comparing pictures I've seen to Maya. I can somewhat see the resemblance but I figured I'd post the question to you wonderful people and see if a better trained eye than mine can see anything. I'm not looking for a definite answer (I know that'd be impossible to give) or anything, I'm just curious.

I unfortunately am unable to post any pictures of her mother, but I can give you a general description if it'll help. She looked very similar to Maya but with a light tan/cream color where Maya has black, also with darker points on her tail and ears, and blue eyes instead of green. Beautiful cat and very sweet, though very skittish of people (understandably). Unfortunately she has since passed away, but we're all so glad she was able to get away from their previous owner and have a loving, patient home for her last days.

Maya:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So the mom was ragdoll, or at least, a ragdoll look alike.  The bi-color ragdoll is a quite common variation.

A point - as a ragdoll - mated with a non point, the children wont be points any more, unless the other significant was a carrier too.  However, the children will be carriers of the point gene.

The father apparently was a long / medium haired him too, as the children are longhaired....    Its a similiar hereditary for longhair as for point.

As mom was creme, I suppose the father carried black.   Or she may have had some blue spots somewhere, and DID carried black, although diluted into blue.

So, yes,  its theoretically fully possible she has a near ragdoll ancestry.  And if you KNOW the mom was a ragdoll / ragdoll look alike, the theoretical possibility turns into reality.

Done!    :)