Does My Cat Have Allergies?

Patti1294

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 10 month old cats that came from the same litter but one of them, I feel like, is showing signs of allergies. First, we ended up getting fleas (not exactly sure how considering they had never gone outside when they did get them) but we give them flea and tick preventative every month and have treated the house for fleas. Cleo, the smaller one of the two, had really bad scabs all over her neck and head when we had fleas. After a couple months of flea treatment they mostly have seemed to go away. However I just recently put a collar on her and 2 days after, her neck was swollen and the collar was so tight around. I removed it immediately and noticed fur missing where the collar was. It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve removed the collar and the fur has grown back but she still has some scans on her neck and head. Now I even feel them around the base of her tail. She grooms almost constantly. I feel like she may still have fleas but there’s no evidence in our home anymore and we give her flea and tick preventative every month. Could it just be allergies? I just want her to have some relief.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible that your cats have an allergy to the parasite preventative? What brand are you using? Have you taken the cats to the vet to rule out other causes of the scabs and possibly do allergy testing? Environmental allergies and food allergies are common in cats.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also be aware that some flea preventatives are not quite what they should be. And in some cases, fleas in an area become immune to some preventatives.

As for where they came from, hate to say this, but possibly you. Fleas are notorious hitchhikers, and will jump onto clothing if you brush by them in grass, for instance, ride in with you, and since you are NOT their preferred meal, transfer their "loyalty" to your poor cats. Or dogs.