Does my cat have a disorder?

Sforshey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(9 month old male domestic shorthair, neutered and fully vaccinated when fully adopted. Adopted at 4 months from an adoption/vet center)

Is it possible for a cat to have some sort of compulsive disorder? My cat has issues when things are on the floor (ex. furniture, power/cable cords, purse and backpack). If there is something touching the ground he will scratch up the carpet until we move it. But we can’t move our furniture since the whole apartment is covered in carpet. He gets plenty of entertainment and playtime. Plus he has multiple scratching posts and boards of various types. (but since they’re touching the ground he tears up the carpet next to them rather than use them) He also has very bad back twitching before scratching and after scratching, I wasn’t sure if he is getting too overwhelmed but everything has stayed the same in our house since we have gotten him.

I’ve tried every method imaginable of getting him to stop scratching the carpet but I worry that if it’s a neurological disorder then there’s nothing I can do to stop him.

Any feedback would really be great.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratching is one way cats align their backs.

Has he seen a vet about his back? Next time you take him in, have them do a full body x-ray. That way you can see if there is damage that might be influencing what he is doing. Yes, I mention this because the cat we got at 5 weeks old was having aggression issues. When we had her x-rayed at 8/9 months, it turned out she arthritis on three of her vertebra. She's on dasuquin now and the anger is gone, or at least is at normal levels.

Not to sound casual, but have you considered making him scratching beds using carpet? He seems to like scratching on the floor - flat rather than up and down. And some cats do prefer carpet to rope for scratching posts.

There are other things the vet maybe able to offer help with.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sforshey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you don’t mind me asking, around how much does the x-ray cost. I’m in college now so I can try to save up quick money to help him get his x-ray. If you don’t want to share the price that’s perfectly fine and I totally understand!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As near as I can tell each vet is different. I would call around and ask. Some vets are more expensive than others, surprisingly so and I don't mean just the emergency clinics. This is easier than other questions because you are asking for one full body x-ray for a cat.

I would make the flat on the floor or slightly raised scratching post too. I had one who spent hours shredding phone books. My friends donated them to her.

Sforshey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feline Hyperesthesia – TheCatSite Articles
Sometimes this is called Rippling Skin Disorder as well.
Scaredy Cats: Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome - Good Pet Parent
There is a short video about halfway down this link.

However, having said that, I am not at all sure that your cat has this as the only point which really stands out is the twitching back.

I have a cat who has had FHS for years, so don't panic if you read up on it as it is not fatal, often not treated, and somewhat common.
He will occasionally lick after his back twitches there but not a lot

Sforshey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As near as I can tell each vet is different. I would call around and ask. Some vets are more expensive than others, surprisingly so and I don't mean just the emergency clinics. This is easier than other questions because you are asking for one full body x-ray for a cat.

I would make the flat on the floor or slightly raised scratching post too. I had one who spent hours shredding phone books. My friends donated them to her.
He does like to scratch at paper and I have a phone book im not using so I can definitely try that out!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait! you said you were in college. Don't go there. Cats can't figure out that it's okay to destroy this book, but not that book. The one I let play with phone books lived in the part of the house without books. Stick to the carpet on a board scratcher.

Quick and easy - go to carpet store, either get reminents or the smallest piece they will sell you. Tell them you are making a scratching post, they may sympathize. When you get home wrap the carpet around a heavy piece of plywood, maybe a couple of feet by a foot or so. You can fasten it with cord or use carpet nails - they are short and have large flat heads. Be sure you don't nail it to the floor. Or you can look at the pet supply places get a flat scratcher and cover it with carpet.

Sforshey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wait! you said you were in college. Don't go there. Cats can't figure out that it's okay to destroy this book, but not that book. The one I let play with phone books lived in the part of the house without books. Stick to the carpet on a board scratcher.

Quick and easy - go to carpet store, either get reminents or the smallest piece they will sell you. Tell them you are making a scratching post, they may sympathize. When you get home wrap the carpet around a heavy piece of plywood, maybe a couple of feet by a foot or so. You can fasten it with cord or use carpet nails - they are short and have large flat heads. Be sure you don't nail it to the floor. Or you can look at the pet supply places get a flat scratcher and cover it with carpet.
Ok I’ll do that! I also have his records from the vet clinic at the adoption center but it just showed the medications he was given

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Similar suggestion to above -- you could consider getting a relatively inexpensive and resilient rug that's free of objects and where the cat can hang out. My cat loves our IKEA rug/carpet which is her "home base" and where she goes to scratch on after using her litter box (or just generally!). I play laser pointer with her and she only tries to catch it on the carpet. It's also where she is fed all her meals!

Sforshey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Similar suggestion to above -- you could consider getting a relatively inexpensive and resilient rug that's free of objects and where the cat can hang out. My cat loves our IKEA rug/carpet which is her "home base" and where she goes to scratch on after using her litter box (or just generally!). I play laser pointer with her and she only tries to catch it on the carpet. It's also where she is fed all her meals!
I’ll definitely try that out too! My sisters cat will only play and scratch on a certain rug too so I’m definitely open to try it!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Re: xrays. Even if it were to be something like FHS, most vets diagnose from symptoms. There is a very slight chance that it can be caused by issues in the back or nervous system, but those would also manifest themselves in more obvious ways in most cases. In the case of Chelsea, it cost me exactly nothing. She had an episode in front of the vet who said it was FHS and that was the end of it.

If you can get the twitching back episode on your phone, that might help.

Sforshey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Re: xrays. Even if it were to be something like FHS, most vets diagnose from symptoms. There is a very slight chance that it can be caused by issues in the back or nervous system, but those would also manifest themselves in more obvious ways in most cases. In the case of Chelsea, it cost me exactly nothing. She had an episode in front of the vet who said it was FHS and that was the end of it.

If you can get the twitching back episode on your phone, that might help.
Ok thank you! I’ll definitely try to get a video of it, I just want to make sure he is ok and to help him. Thank you again for the advice!