Does Methimazole Always Work?

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Another post on the hyperthyroid, 20 year old hospice cat. I have posted several threads on this kitty. I returned her to the regular foster on Monday and now she is unhappy and not eating again. To give her at treat at my house I spent a lot of time with her and now she is back to little attention and unhappy. She really stole my heart!
When I was caring for her I did not feel her condition was well controlled. The shelter has been checking her levels every couple months but she was still very skinny, matted and wanting food all the time but then not eating. I don't know a lot and couldn't find much in searching the threads but I thought that methimazole was supposed to control this disease. I don't think the shelter had any info on how long ago she was diagnosed as the owner had died. Either the shelter can't pay for the iodine treatment or she was deemed too long to benefit from it. So what improvements are supposed to be gained by methimazole treatment?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it should get the thyroid under control, but only if the dosage is correct. It's my understanding that the dosage needs to be adjusted now and then. I believe they would need to check her T-4 via bloodwork, probably quarterly, to see if she's on the right dosage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know she has had regular blood work but her condition did not seem controlled. She is now vomiting and not eating. The regular caregiver told me her kidneys were starting to give out at the last blood test, which I did not know before. Wish I would have just kept her and offered to take her back. At this point the caregiver felt that moving her back would be too much stress and I agree but it just breaks my heart.