Does kitten pouncing behaviour tend to slow down eventually?

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten is about 7 months old, but he is HUGE. He is still in pouncing mode, and while he obviously means no harm, his pouncing is not a favourite with my more senior cats (partly because he is so huge and strong - he has a kitten mind in the body of an adult cat). Is there an age at which pouncing behavior tends to peak? Is there an age at which pouncing behavior begins to simmer down a bit? My senior cats are hoping it will be sooner than later!!

Most of my other cats handle the pouncing behavior fine and just ignore it or give a swat at the kitten (and one of them after being pounced on joins the kitten in wrestling matches which is really funny as he is 15 years old and otherwise very laid back - but he chooses to partake in the wrestling and seems to like it). I am happy to let them work things out as they are all working through it just fine. But there is one of my older cats who is the most intimidated by the pouncing and he makes things worse for himself by running away in some fear (which of course encourages the kitten to pounce and chase all the more). I am trying to avoid getting involved in the situation, but it is starting to get a bit much for this older kitty. What kinds of approaches can one use to try and get a young cat to stop choosing to pounce on this one particular cat? Would a water spray bottle work or would that just make things worse? Any ideas?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still keen to get a reply if anyone has ideas... 

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miki is already 3 years old and she "pounces" all the time. Mostly it's to get my attention, or in your case, your more senior kitties. I think the behavior will start to simmer down gradually as he notes that the other kitties are being calm and he is the big bouncy guy.

Your kitty pouncing on the older cat, in the kitten's mind, is "Ah! New playmate! And now he wants to play tag! Let's play!". And in the older cat's mind, initially, is "Ugh. This is an annoying little kitten. Got to get away." and gradually as it gets worse his mindset is "I hate this and it bothers me! I want to get away but he keeps chasing me!"

I don't think a spray bottle will help very much- it might not get the message across to him; as a kitten, maybe he'll even see it as an invitation to playfight. Maybe you can try tiring him out with some interesting interactive cat toys so he knows that YOU are his primary play partner, not the older kitty. 

It's natural kitten behavior- I think your little guy will get over it eventually. It really depends on the cat and his energy level. 

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think a spray bottle will help very much- it might not get the message across to him; as a kitten, maybe he'll even see it as an invitation to playfight. Maybe you can try tiring him out with some interesting interactive cat toys so he knows that YOU are his primary play partner, not the older kitty. 

It's natural kitten behavior- I think your little guy will get over it eventually. It really depends on the cat and his energy level. 
I wondered about him seeing the spray bottle as a playfight. I might put Liam and another kitty in the bedroom when I go out of the house as at least he can have some time when he does not have to think about the wee one going after him.

Kind of a shame, as Liam and Gryffin kitten will mutual groom each other, so it really is just playful kitten antics, but Gryffin is just being a bit too "strong" in his movements for the senior guy. I am a bit worried as Liam developed a stubborn bladder infection and the last thing he needs is the stress of a silly kitten chasing and leaping on him.

I tried play sessions, but this kitten has stamina - I have to play with him for over an hour to even begin to tire him out!! But I can keep trying.

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea. He can cool down, get some peace and quiet, and still have the other cat with him so he's not too lonely. His roomie cat should probably be the cat he is most bonded to or close with. 

You are right- kittens (who are mostly like this when they're not sleeping: 
) are normally a bit too much for our more laid-back, "take it easy" senior and adult cats. Poor Liam! Hope his bladder infection is getting better day by day. 
  Watching them groom each other must be adorable though.

Wow, Gryffin has a lot of kitten energy to burn up doesn't he? Well, little guy, we're just going to have to keep you entertained and tired somehow, but you are making it hard on your poor owner here! Maybe you could try one of those moving cat toys so it keeps him entertained constantly... but for a kitten this energetic I honestly am not sure if that will work.

Best wishes and I'm looking forward to seeing more updates about our little firebrand kitty Gryffin! (Nice name, by the way!) 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As our Thomas (Tuxedo) became stronger and used to his new surroundings after we decided to keep him, we discovered just how active he was and could be. He was literally off the charts and I was concerned at times that he might be hyperthyroid. He would go running full tilt up one flight of stairs and down again, leaping over our two other (older) cats in the process. He would get into things, tear things up, try to get Max to wrestle with him which Maxand sometimes Max would oblige and sometimes not. Max being the bigger, older brother, too it in his stride. One of Thomas's favorite things that didn't go over well, would be to fly by Maggie (our little female) at top speed, darting now and then in front of her, in a bid to wind her up and get her to play with him. Maggie was definitely not amused, and told him so quite often. Thomas came to us as a 4 or 5 month old kitten. Today he is a little over a year and a half old and while he is still pretty active, he is no where near as active as he was in the beginning. So, I think its pretty safe to say that your kitty will settle down at some point.

Finding things to divert their attention is helpful. For Thomas, I set up an long line of elastics intertwined and hooked this to our dining room ceiling. I attached one of those balls with a bell in it. Thomas would play with this for hours in jumping up to catch the ball and then trying to walk off with it. Good for tuckering him out before bedtime. It was hilarious to watch this cat leaping into the air trying to get at the ball.

allenkm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think trying to give the senior cat some alone time will help reduce his stress, also try to keep him busy by adding and changing his toys often. Skip the water bottle, he will only learn to not pounce when your looking. Good luck, my guys chilled out around age 2

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just bought this toy for Gryffin - a mouse swinging on a string with a special hook to go over door - mouse squeaks any time it is touched so I can hear Gryffin playing with this toy wherever I am in the house. I am hoping that by leaping into the air endlessly, Gryffin will tire himself get rid of some of his pouncing energy!! Gryffin loves this toy!! He has not pounced on any of my cats all evening!! Hurrah!! Because of the string, I will take it down when not home, but overall this toy is a great success.

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that sounds like a neat toy .. Judging by the photos of Gryffin in action, it looks like he is really enjoying this.
I may just have to look into one of these for Thomas

.. Very wise in taking the string down when not around. I did this with my homemade effort as well. Hope he continues to have lots of fun times with this, so there are fewer moments where he is off bothering the older one.

PS: I just noticed the typos in my previous post .. Just goes to show that I shouldn't try and post when I am on my tablet!

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh that sounds like a neat toy .. Judging by the photos of Gryffin in action, it looks like he is really enjoying this.
I may just have to look into one of these for Thomas
I found it in the cat toy section in the grocery store. Did not pay attention to the make, but it may have been Hartz or some big company like that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He WILL calm down eventually, 7 months is still a kitten! I still have to clap my hands and yell at my 6 year old, he still jumps on my oldster and KNOWS he isn't supposed to, he runs like mad when he sees me coming! It's kind of heartbreaking, my oldster will run towards me for protection even though I'm yelling. Good luck, and if you ever find any trick that works, please post it.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gryffin demonstrates his toy mouse. I caught this on video the other night. I have noticed that his pouncing behavior on the other cats has diminished notably when I went out and bough him toys designed to make him leap and jump!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XrgmWgIAco&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: