Does "Indoor Formula" Cat Food Contribute to Urinary Blockage in Male Cats?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this mentioned in one of my Facebook cat groups and have no experience with it, but thought it would be a good thing to bring up for discussion since it was her VET who said they have seen a correlation.  There is always the possibility that a lot of people are feeding only dry food, and they are feeding "indoor formula" dry food, so the problem may actually be feeding primarily dry food.  Share your experience and let's see if this is something to be concerned about even more thn feeding only dry food.

"Asking good vibes for my Sammi kitty who is at the vet. Woke up to him not moving and in a lot of pain. He was blocked and they put a catheter in and he is on meds now. Vet advised me to stay away from any kind of indoor formula food. They said that almost all of the male cats they see that are blocked are eating or were eating an indoor formula food. Gonna be missing my snuggle bug tonight."

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seems I saw that same post in one of my FB groups!  I wondered the same thing.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would assume the cat is only being fed a dry diet, which would be an "indoor" formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually there are "indoor formula" canned foods also, but I would also think it's the dry food.  I bet we are in one of the same Facebook groups, @stephanietx