Does his tooth look bad?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I’m investigating reasons why my cat isn’t eating. Vets are closed and I can’t afford emergency vet right now

does his tooth look bad? I will call the vet Monday and hope he eats something
IMG_0750.jpeg

Edited to add- I’m at the emergency vet with him now. I need a peace of mind and hate that he’s not eating again

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was literally just here and going to say, it doesn't look all that good but I'm not a vet.
My thoughts exactly! 👍 I'm very sorry you had to go to the ER vet but if it helps I think you absolutely did the right thing for your cat. That tooth does not look healthy. What did the emergency vet recommend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My thoughts exactly! 👍 I'm very sorry you had to go to the ER vet but if it helps I think you absolutely did the right thing for your cat. That tooth does not look healthy. What did the emergency vet recommend?
I’m still at the vet. 2 hour wait. See what they say, I just got into the room and waiting for the actual vet

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
update:
The vet wasn't concerned with the tooth. He said the yellow is fine, the gum isn't inflamed or too irritated- typical for his age.
He felt nothing in his stomach, which was a relief.

He gave me some anti-nausea meds (probably from throwing up a massive hairball) and appetite simulants. Hopefully it'll eat tomorrow

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't have been too worried by that tooth, and I'm glad it wasn't a concern right now. I'd start collecting observations about your cat going forward if the appetite doesn't return to normal. Cats don't just stop eating for no reason. Glad you took him in and ruled out a couple things!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Ate a few bites of dinner last night but refused breakfast today. He's lethargic and depressed looking. I looked up the side effects of the anti-nausea and it's one of the side effects. I hope he perks up soon.
Started giving him the food stimulant on his ear too, hope that works as well

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
How is he doing? :crossfingers: :hugs:

Still not eating as much, but picking at his food.
Took him again to the vet on Sunday because I didn't like that he wasn't improving and wanted further testing. He's had X-rays done, blood work- the only thing off was that his red blood cells was a little low. Nothing that would cause him to stop eating. His blood is perfect otherwise. Heart, lungs, blood pressure is perfect. Docs gave him fluids. They said if he doesn't improve by Weds, take him for a sonogram. Docs thinks maybe it's his thyroid meds, though he's been doing great on it for 3 months. We couldn't do a thyroid test because he hadn't been on his meds for a few days.

Another issue is that my other cat, Cassie, isn't eating much either since Saturday! She has diarrhea for a week (Saw blood only once), and is moving sluggishly. She growled when I touched her stomach. I have a vet appt for her on Thursday if she doesn't improve. I thought maybe she was stressed because I went away for a week and a petsitter came while I was gone; but it's been a week since I've been home.

No vomiting or hairballs, no coughing, scratching or sneezing thankfully. If there was vomit I'd be alarmed. I haven't been watching constantly to see if they've been drinking but skin test tells me they're hydrated enough.

I'm wondering if both of them somehow got a stomach virus (Despite nothing shown on Monet's tests and both strictly indoors). It's weird that BOTH isn't eating. I even tried different foods, same thing. they won't eat their treats either. While Monet may chew on things, Cassie doesn't chew or eat anything other than her food and treats (Refuses human foods all the time) which makes me think nothing was ingested that shouldn't be.

Or it could be the fact they are 14 and 15 years old and things are starting to slow down and I am being overly paranoid. I don't know!

Sorry, I went off there. I just don't know what to do other than give them the appetite stimulant and wait. There's another thread of someone who's cat is acting the very same, I'm watching that thread.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
So both Cassie and Monet are having issues? :frown: I'm sorry. I've been dealing with vomiting and diarrhea here myself with Abby. It's been getting a little better though. Have you seen any improvement?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
So both Cassie and Monet are having issues? :frown: I'm sorry. I've been dealing with vomiting and diarrhea here myself with Abby. It's been getting a little better though. Have you seen any improvement?
They both ate full meals yesterday and there's firm poop in the box (never thought I'd be happy to see poop!).
They seem to be back to themselves. So odd it was both of them. Im wondering if it was stress from me being away for a few days or they got a virus (no idea how since they're indoors). Or its shedding season and they're both shedding tons.

Either way, doc wants me to keep them on appetite stimulants for a few more days. I hope they'll eat on their own.

I hope Abby feels better too! It's scary when your baby is under the weather. Keep me posted on how she feels <3

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just seeing this now. So happy to read to the end and see they both ate full meals yesterday.

I know the joy of seeing normal poop in the litter box, btw. :)