Does Everyone Give Their Cats Treats?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally only give treats for training purposes or after activities they don't particularly like (bath, brushing, nail clipping). The two little beggars typically manage to get something else out of me anyhow, though. Usually, it's "washing the dishes."

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do Pure Bites and I made the mistake of also using dry food as a treat. Now my Lokhie bugs me for it nightly so I have to put a stop to that. haha.
He loves it but I think I'm going to stop buying it and stick with freeze dried

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours get treats two or three times a week. Not for anything special, just because. We make a game out of it. I toss them in the air or slide them across the floor. They leap, jump, run, chase. They burn more calories than they comsume.:lol:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give my cat a couple treats before bed everynight and after brushing her. Its just her special bit of time my dog isn't allowed to partake in.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Wait so for people who don't use treats. What would you put into a puzzle toy like this?

Trixie Activity Fun Board 5-in-1 Interactive Cat Toy, White

Getting mine tomorrow, and I don't know what to put besides treats.
I'd put dry food in, and subtract the amount from normal meals. Or healthy treats like the freeze-dried minoows I mwntioned earlier. I think it's most effective if you use it to feed an actual meal, rather than put extra treats in it.

Just my opinion!

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wait so for people who don't use treats. What would you put into a puzzle toy like this?

I have that exact puzzle toy. I just put their dry food in it.

My boys get 15g of dry food each per day, and one boy eats super fast, so I put his portion in the puzzle toy or his puzzle ball so my slow eater can finish his meal in peace.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have that exact puzzle toy. I just put their dry food in it.

My boys get 15g of dry food each per day, and one boy eats super fast, so I put his portion in the puzzle toy or his puzzle ball so my slow eater can finish his meal in peace.
Nice, okay thanks! I assume they like it? My cats don't have any puzzle toys like this yet.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nice, okay thanks! I assume they like it? My cats don't have any puzzle toys like this yet.
Yeah, they love it. My food-motivated guy got it a lot quicker than my other one. They both pretty much understand it now, but it still takes them time to maneuver everything out of it. One thing I would be careful of though is the four plastic bowl things. First time my greedy boy tried it he couldn't get the hang of scooping out the kibble so he tried to bite through the bowl itself. Left a nice crack in it. Now I don't let him use it unsupervised because I have horror images flashing through my mind of him cracking the plastic bowl fully and trying to eat it. Wouldn't surprise me.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they love it. My food-motivated guy got it a lot quicker than my other one. They both pretty much understand it now, but it still takes them time to maneuver everything out of it. One thing I would be careful of though is the four plastic bowl things. First time my greedy boy tried it he couldn't get the hang of scooping out the kibble so he tried to bite through the bowl itself. Left a nice crack in it. Now I don't let him use it unsupervised because I have horror images flashing through my mind of him cracking the plastic bowl fully and trying to eat it. Wouldn't surprise me.
Yikes, okay thanks for letting me know!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We had that toy. It held Sophie's interest about 5 minutes. Lilith's not at all. She wanted ME to get the treats out for her. After successfully getting some treats out, Sophie decided to just go for the BAG of treats that was on the coffee table. We had it less that one day. It went right back. I'd use Pure Bites in it if they had actually liked it.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had that toy. It held Sophie's interest about 5 minutes. Lilith's not at all. She wanted ME to get the treats out for her. After successfully getting some treats out, Sophie decided to just go for the BAG of treats that was on the coffee table. We had it less that one day. It went right back. I'd use Pure Bites in it if they had actually liked it.
Of topic I guess, but it sound like you have picky cats to entertain. How do you entertain them? I'm struggling to entertain and play with my two young kittens, seems like they only want to play with the 4 da bird variants I have. Thoughts?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of topic I guess, but it sound like you have picky cats to entertain. How do you entertain them? I'm struggling to entertain and play with my two young kittens, seems like they only want to play with the 4 da bird variants I have. Thoughts?
Have you tried these?

Ethical Pet Wide Durable Heavy Gauge Plastic Colorful Springs Cat Toy
My boys LOVE them. Although I have to keep fishing them out from under the stove. Maybe it helps that my floors aren't carpeted, but these springs roll around and bounce like crazy. My boys go insane chasing after them. And my one boy that likes playing fetch will chase after them, dart back to me, drop it, and wait for me to toss it down the length of the apartment again!

Fat Cat Crazies Playrings Cat Toy
These also slide really well on hard floors and the boys can't get enough of them. I just keep chucking them everywhere and the boys keep chasing.

Or are you more looking for wand-toy type suggestions?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried these?

Ethical Pet Wide Durable Heavy Gauge Plastic Colorful Springs Cat Toy
My boys LOVE them. Although I have to keep fishing them out from under the stove. Maybe it helps that my floors aren't carpeted, but these springs roll around and bounce like crazy. My boys go insane chasing after them. And my one boy that likes playing fetch will chase after them, dart back to me, drop it, and wait for me to toss it down the length of the apartment again!

Fat Cat Crazies Playrings Cat Toy
These also slide really well on hard floors and the boys can't get enough of them. I just keep chucking them everywhere and the boys keep chasing.

Or are you more looking for wand-toy type suggestions?
Yeah I bought the springs like 4 or 5 times. My cats do like them, but they keep getting to god knows where, and I keep having to rebuy them.

Will check out the playrings, but are they similar to the springs? Kinda worried since play time is basically me rotating between 4 different wand-toys.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo only gets freeze dried treats, mostly Purebites chicken breast and Vital Essentials rabbit nibs and/or the chicken giblets. He doesn't get them every day, mostly just every now and then. Stevie, on the other hand, doesn't even understand treats. I've tried. She just doesn't "get it" so therefore she doesn't get any!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that Tom eats freeze dried meal worms maybe twice a week. I brought them home for the parrots and he broke into the bag all over the living room floor, so now they're in a plastic container and he asks for them all the time. "I'm not giving you worms right now, man, go play".

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I don't regularly but a treat to me is something you give now and then, not every day. I used treats for training purposes and something now and then. I have this little egg shaped toy with a hole in it that you put treats in and as the cat rolls it, it dispenses the treats. It is not easy to get the treats out of it, either, but my little female loves the challenge. I do that for her maybe once a month.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought Toffee and Fudge some dental treats which they seem to enjoy so they have them once or twice a day as well as their usual meals. We also have Dreamies for them. We usually give them treats when we're eating, so they can distract themselves, or if they have hurt themselves (for example, Fudge got his little paw trapped in a lift up footstool and I gave him a treat to comfort him and it calmed him down)/get scared (they hate the hoover so we often distract them with treats when its being used.