Does daily medication start to not have the same effect?

andy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat has epilepsy and the vet gave me phenobarbital to help control the seizures. Shes been seizure free since september but as of this past week, started getting small ones again, pretty much daily. she starts to look kind of panicky and one eye closes half way and she starts drooling. usually lasts about 10-20 seconds but in some cases she even pees. Is it common to have to go back to the vet to get her dose adjusted? shes on half a pill a day for now. fingers crossed i dont have to force her to eat double that :(

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's a great idea to go back and get her medication adjusted, particularly since she is having them daily. And yes, it is common for this to happen at first. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sadly shes been getting them hourly now. i took her to the emergency vet and they gave me another pill to give her ontop of what she already takes. i fear this is the beginning of the end for her. If shes getting this many seizures even on her medication, theres nothing else i can do. Shes only 4 which saddens me the most..so much more life left

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does the vet say? l wouldn't give up hope this early. There are also combinations of drugs she can take. I know it looks bad but in many cases it can be controlled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sadly i had to put her down yesterday. She had another cluster of seizures and didnt come out of them well. She was partially blind and didnt remember who i was or recognise the house. I took her back to the emergency vet and they wanted her to spend the night there again which she did just a few nights before but my money ran out. Spent 3500 dollars on her since september. The hardest part is she wasnt suffering but thats not exactly a high quality of life either, having seizures every day.

Im very sad to see her go and it was hard spending her final few breaths with her. House is lonely and depressing without her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose our furry loved ones.