Does Corncob Litter Cause UTI/Bladder Infections in Cats?

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three s/f ladies 12 yoa who have been using Nature's Miracle corncob cat litter for the last, eight months, I think. I use the disposable pressed paper pulp cat boxes for the litter [that way I can chuck the whole mess out when it's time for the litter to be completely changed out, monthly].

I've seen little flecks that look like blood [is it maybe wet corncob?], and am concerned. Before I take all three girls to the vet for UTI/Bladder infection I wanted to find out if Corncob litter has caused problems for other people's cats. I rake the boxes daily and add fresh litter. The girls seem happy for the most part, sleeping a little more than usual.

NB: I have a foster kitten sequestered in the bathroom who I let out occasionally under strict supervision, so perhaps the girls are stressed out about that, and that's leading to the problem. Jaysus I hope I don't have to take all three to the vet $$$$$

I really dislike bentonite clay clumping litter bc it gets positively SLIMY. Two of my girls pee down the inside of the kittybox walls and it's incredibly difficult to rake out and eeuuggghh. I have some difficulty hauling the heavy stuff [transporting, bringing in, and changing out the box] monthly. My foster is using lightweight clay litter in her little box but she pees right in the center of the box like a good girl, LOL. I worry about using clay litter near the wall to wall carpet in my apartment. If it gets damp it will be impossible to remove from the carpet fibers.

Input? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl, Hekitty, has been using a corncob litter for about 6 years now, and we've never had an issue with it. It is probably not that.

However, how old is that foster kitten? Until he's about 4 months old, he really shouldn't have clumping litter. By that age, they've realized that litter is not food. Personally, I think that they know it earlier, but like the young of ALL species, they explore the world with their mouths. Kittens are over it by 4 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's 5 or 6 months - she had had a litter by the time I got her from someone unable to care for her. I am hoping to get the kitten adopted -- she has impeccable manners, except with other cats :lol:

I had JUST started fostering her when the Coronavirus hit ...!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't heard of natural litters themselves being a cause of UTI's. Some people don't put down a thick layer of litter because they believe that can cause issues because more of it can get in the area that can cause issues. Stress can definitely cause bladder issues with cats. Vets have said that at the beginning of the lockdown because of the pandemic they saw a definite increase in cats that had bladder issues, losing their alone time every day stressed out the cats. My girl also pees down the side and always in the same area. She is 16 now and in the early stage of CKD. That means she pees more then she used to so I understand the issue you are having. She also doesn't do any digging or covering, she never did. My Rainbow Bridge guy always did the digging and covering but not Alice.

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Denice, I am so glad to know I am not alone with my "wall-peers." One actually has the *nerve* to get on her tippytoes and raise her butt above the edge of the litterbox. Lliterally pees on the wall [which I've had to cover with plastic]: Grrrr

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, try something like this:

1592619169485.png

Unless she has giraffe legs, even tippytoes won't get her over the edge, AND because the entry is on the side, they don't hang their butts over the edge. When they enter, their noses are against the wall, so they automatically turn sideways. This has saved a LOT of people a LOT of hassle!

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You would be amazed ... she got over the top edge of the Rubbermaid one that's about 12" high

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, that's a determined cat! In that case, forget a "litter box." Buy a Rubber Maid tote, one of the ones whose sides are at least 18 inches, and cut an entry door in it! It really isn't that hard to cut one like that.

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good suggestion. I used totes for a long time and may need to switch back. I really prefer the cardboard for sanitary reasons and weight reasons. Washing out a tote is heavy work bc they hold so much litter to be dumped, and liquid as you wash. Plus they get to smelling after a while with scratches allowing pee to penetrate the plastic. [sigh] I may seek some steel bins like they use in steam tables ....