Does anyone know what can cause such physical injury to a cat?

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my cat Seth had another peculiar thing happen to him and I'm trying to establish what could've caused the weird, injury to the skin on his head to perhaps prevent it happening in future.

Let me tell you a little background information first assuming you haven't seen or remember my previous threads. I live in a middle of nowhere with only few people in the area. Getting to the vet is a major trip so we do most of the stuff ourselves. I had a slight problem with a neighbor setting a trap some time ago, but I know for a fact he isn't doing that now (also both my neighbors are away at the moment).

Seth is a few year old neutered male, about 6kg,he was always very tame, but since few months ago he started fighting stray cats that sometimes come here. This resulted in a visit to the vet three weeks ago when he got an infection after another cat bit the inside of his front paw. This has healed since after a course of antibiotics.

Coming back to the point of this thread. Seth hasn't came back to eat in the morning, he is usually quite regular, but occasionally he comes in late so I wasn't that concerned. Few hours have passed I got a bit worried so I went around my place calling him (he usually comes). About 15 min later he came. I immediately saw he is acting weird/is perhaps injured, he was very stressed, crawling more than walking when I approached him. I assumed he fought other cats again so on the advice of my vet I started checking him out to cut the fur around any injuries and to wash/disinfect them when I found this (which definitely wasn't there yesterday) on his head! (picture below)

It looks very atypical, like some sort of long term abrasion. Like he was rubbing his head for a long time. It definitely doesn't look like a traumatic injury to me (based on a rather limited number of other traumatic injuries I saw, perhaps someone with better knowledge will correct me on this? ). There is no bruising, the fur and the topmost layer of skin is removed, but the skin under doesn't appear damaged.

This is how it looks like. When his skin isn't in tension you can't see it because his skin folds hiding it, that's why he is being held like this
Compress_20230621_123759_9415.jpg
Compress_20230621_123759_9582.jpg

Also he has a number of smaller injuries consistent with fighting with other cats plus a broken rear claw.

Have you ever seen something like this on your cat? What caused it? My first "guess" was he got locked in a building and rubbed his head trying to open the door until he was eventually released, but there are no people around here other than us (as mentioned neighbours are away). So I have no idea. If he was bitten by an animal (we only have wolves and very rarely a stray dog around here) this would be much worse. Likewise about being hit by a man I think. What do you think?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is an excellent photo of the wound. Can you send it to your vet to ask what they think? They could tell you whether or not you needed to come in about it. Or they could just say no, can't tell anything from a photo. However, you might get some useful information from them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is an excellent photo of the wound. Can you send it to your vet to ask what they think? They could tell you whether or not you needed to come in about it. Or they could just say no, can't tell anything from a photo. However, you might get some useful information from them.
Yes, I'll do that tomorrow morning when she starts work. In the meantime he has relaxed a bit, but is still very much on edge. It doesn't appear to cause him any pain when touched. It looks like a bold patch of skin. If he walked past you you wouldn't notice unless his skin aligned just right. See these few photos I just took, in one it is completely invisible, on the other one it is.
Compress_20230621_165445_5441.jpg
Compress_20230621_165445_5315.jpg

If I didn't knew for sure he didn't have it yesterday I'd say it looks like an old scar.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you received the best advice anyone on this site could give with the response above. The vet isn't likely to know what caused it any more than we can, but with that pic they might be able to recommend an appropriate treatment to try.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be more concerned about the way he is acting. Crawling is not normal in cats. If he were mine, I would get him to the vet ASAP. I know they are far etc but cats hide illness and injury. A cat that is displaying something wrong is usually very I’ll or very hurt.
The area on the head could be from a previous cat fight wound that closed over and the infection underneath caused the hair loss and it may or may not open. Or it could be that a section of his skin was lacerated but it stayed in place with the hair until the skin below healed enough for it to fall off. It could be a burn that healed also keeping skin and hair until underneath healed. It could be a fungal infection or a skin infection. It could be so many things.

side note, you aren’t cutting his hair with scissors right? You are using clippers. You can easily mutilate a cat by accident with scissors and you have to be super careful even with clippers. Their skin is like tissue paper and can feed into the blade.

I would get him to the vet. Keep him inside please.
The crawling is very concerning.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Possabley could be a road abrasion. Could he have narrowly avoided being hit by a car?

Could also be ringworm idk ringworm is very contagous and can be spread to humans and other animals.

Last edited:

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies.

Yes, there are owls and plenty of other birds of prey, I didn't consider them a source of harm for a big 6kg cat, but maybe? We do have owls, ospreys, buzzards, kestrels, even an odd golden eagle here and there.

The other ideas for what couldve caused it are interesting.

Yes, I'm using medium sized scissors. I guess I should buy clippers, thank you for the tip. Both our cats are usually not moving when I have to disinfect small wounds(I use non burning disinfectant)/cut the hair around so I didn't think of it, but you're right of course.

Also let me say Seth was only crawling when I, my wife or other cat approached him, he behaved like this before after fighting with other cats(or any other stressfully situation), he has calmed down by now(overnight). Still a bit on the edge, but that's not unusual for him. He does walk normally when no one is bothering him.

He eats normally, he has normal temperature. He doesn't appear bothered by the lack of fur on this patch of his head, the area isn't inflamed, no redness surrounding it (a small scratch on one side), no flakiness/powdery/reddish appearance fungal infections sometimes have. He's not going to get sunburn, because the skin folds over it usually (as on one of the photos). He gets flea/tick treatment regularly. I can't see it causing him any imminent harm now.

So About the vet, of course the correct answer is always to go to the vet when in doubt. I do have a good client relationship with my vet, but I don't feel that great asking for free phone advice unless in emergency. She is pretty much busy non-stop (she's the only good vet in a large area and doesn't charge a lot). So it would have to be over text messages (we all know the image quality MMS convey). The bottom line is always, am I sufficiently concerned about Seth's wellbeing in his current condition to make up for the extra stress of the trip(this means putting him in a locked carrier in a car for an hour, while he is wailing all the way there, then when we return he will be stressed, running, hiding, crawling for 2~3 days as he always is when we have to go to the vet, more about it later) The answer is no, at the moment.

I'm pretty sure we're dealing with two things that happened. One, he went fighting other cats. This explains his behaviour and other little injuries for example a scratch on his nose(as it happened before). The second is this bold patch that appeared overnight.

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more thing to add as I don't thing there is an edit button on the forum. It's not easy to keep a cat inside during the summer here. It's 32C (90F) now and very humid, so many windows are open all the time (no aircon in my house yet unfortunately).

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, owls and the rest of the birds you mentioned can and will take cats. A kestrel would be over estimating what they could carry but they might try. Many of the others could grab and fly with good sized cat or small dog. They can strike the ones they don't manage to lift. However, with a bird attack you would probably find talon slashes in the cat.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a similar situation, hot humid, no a/c. After waiting for the cats to come in from on the roof, the second time, we went for a solution. We bought chicken wire, small openings heavy gage, and screwed it into the window sills of the windows we wanted open. Our cats were on the large size, so we only had to cover the bottom half of the windows. Some we could put the screening on the outside, which made opening the sash easy, some had to be on the inside, which meant leaving enough room to reach in and pull the sash up. WD-40 helps with sticky window sashs.

User5566

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update. Seth has calmed down and he's behaving normally now. There is no change with the bold patch on his skin. It looks pretty much the same. He still isn't bothered by it. I will ask the vet what she thinks next time we have to go when that time comes (hopefully not too soon).

Regarding birds of prey other than eagles, I have to admit I'm a bit doubtful, at least in my area. Perhaps it could happen if a bird was hungry, starved, or was defending it's nest? There are so many small critters here I can't see a bird smaller than an eagle attacking a cat for food, but I can't say for sure of course.

Regarding meshing the windows etc. I have other reasons for not wanting to keep my cats inside permanently, but sometimes I do have to (when one is ill or injured). I don't think I'd go as far as meshing my windows. Thankfully such hot weather doesn't last for long here. Maybe a week few times per summer (it just happened so now). So hopefully I'll not have to worry about it.