Does anyone know how to make catnip bubbles?

Moonshade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby boy, Echo, loves bubbles but I'm worried about regular bubbles getting in his eyes. I tried looking elsewhere for instructions on how to make catnip bubbles, but didn't find any straight answers. Does anyone here know how to make them?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those "bubble guys" that you see in the park or on the beach, making giant bubbles.

I get a lot of kids who like to play and chase them. One of the main things that concern me is kids getting soap in the eyes.
Thankfully, I has only happened to me one time in the several years I have been doing it. Hundreds of kids have played with bubbles and some of them get covered, head to toe, with bubble juice. Still, I have only had one incident.

The good thing is that it's only soap. Soap washes out with water. Even a giant bubble, the size of a school bus, only has a few drops of soap in it. Bubbles are 95% water and 5% soap.
Since I often make bubbles at the beach, the answer is simple. Just run down to the water, jump in and wash the soap off. :)

With cat's, I would say the same. Just wash the soap off with water.

Now, how to make bubble juice...

Use Dawn dish detergent and hot water. 8 fl.oz. of Dawn per 1 gallon of hot tap water.
Use ordinary, blue Dawn detergent. None of that "fancy stuff." None of that "Potpourri Scented" stuff. Just the plain, old, regular stuff.

Fill a gallon-size, plastic jug, about 1/3 full with hot tap water.
Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder. (Not baking soda. Baking POWDER.) Cap the jug and shake until it's all mixed in.

Add in 1 or 2 tablespoons of K-Y Jelly. (Yes! K-Y!)
You can get the generic stuff. Don't get any of those fancy kinds all of the flavorings or coloring. Get the "cheap stuff."
Start with 1 tblsp. and only add more if you need it.
Add the stuff to your partially full jug of hot water, cap and shake well until it's well mixed.

Next, add your Dawn detergent. 8 fl.oz.
Cap the jug and mix GENTLY. If you shake the jug too much it will all turn to suds and you don't want that!

If you want to put in some kind of catnip scented extract or oil, now's the time.
I can't recommend a brand. Just use whatever you like the best. Use your own judgement.
Start with a small amount and work up.
Maybe only add 1/4 tsp. to a gallon and see what happens.
If you need more, it's easy to add but you can't take it out if you add too much. Right?
You'll have to experiment to see what gives you the best results.

Top the jug up to a gallon. Cap the jug and mix carefully to avoid suds.

Let your bubble juice cool to room temperature before using. Even better if you let it sit overnight.

Use whatever bubble dippers or toys you like to make bubbles.
If you want to make your own dipper, make a hoop out of coat hanger wire and wrap it with yarn to absorb some juice. You'll get better bubbles that way. Use a shallow dish or pie plate to hold your juice.

Once you get the hang of things, go ahead and experiment with the recipe.
Add a little more water or soap if you thing it needs to be stronger or weaker. Same goes with your K-Y. Experiment for best results.

Consider this recipe to be a starting point. Different recipes work better for different locations.
Things like temperature, humidity and wind will affect how well your bubble juice works.
There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" solution.

Have fun! :)

If you are worried about Kitty getting soap in the eye, keep a wet wash cloth on hand, just in case. :)

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
My baby boy, Echo, loves bubbles but I'm worried about regular bubbles getting in his eyes. I tried looking elsewhere for instructions on how to make catnip bubbles, but didn't find any straight answers. Does anyone here know how to make them?
Some places sell premade catnip bubble blowers, but they are really hard to actually blow the bubbles. I agree with Caspers Human Caspers Human in making your own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonshade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm one of those "bubble guys" that you see in the park or on the beach, making giant bubbles.

I get a lot of kids who like to play and chase them. One of the main things that concern me is kids getting soap in the eyes.
Thankfully, I has only happened to me one time in the several years I have been doing it. Hundreds of kids have played with bubbles and some of them get covered, head to toe, with bubble juice. Still, I have only had one incident.

The good thing is that it's only soap. Soap washes out with water. Even a giant bubble, the size of a school bus, only has a few drops of soap in it. Bubbles are 95% water and 5% soap.
Since I often make bubbles at the beach, the answer is simple. Just run down to the water, jump in and wash the soap off. :)

With cat's, I would say the same. Just wash the soap off with water.

Now, how to make bubble juice...

Use Dawn dish detergent and hot water. 8 fl.oz. of Dawn per 1 gallon of hot tap water.
Use ordinary, blue Dawn detergent. None of that "fancy stuff." None of that "Potpourri Scented" stuff. Just the plain, old, regular stuff.

Fill a gallon-size, plastic jug, about 1/3 full with hot tap water.
Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder. (Not baking soda. Baking POWDER.) Cap the jug and shake until it's all mixed in.

Add in 1 or 2 tablespoons of K-Y Jelly. (Yes! K-Y!)
You can get the generic stuff. Don't get any of those fancy kinds all of the flavorings or coloring. Get the "cheap stuff."
Start with 1 tblsp. and only add more if you need it.
Add the stuff to your partially full jug of hot water, cap and shake well until it's well mixed.

Next, add your Dawn detergent. 8 fl.oz.
Cap the jug and mix GENTLY. If you shake the jug too much it will all turn to suds and you don't want that!

If you want to put in some kind of catnip scented extract or oil, now's the time.
I can't recommend a brand. Just use whatever you like the best. Use your own judgement.
Start with a small amount and work up.
Maybe only add 1/4 tsp. to a gallon and see what happens.
If you need more, it's easy to add but you can't take it out if you add too much. Right?
You'll have to experiment to see what gives you the best results.

Top the jug up to a gallon. Cap the jug and mix carefully to avoid suds.

Let your bubble juice cool to room temperature before using. Even better if you let it sit overnight.

Use whatever bubble dippers or toys you like to make bubbles.
If you want to make your own dipper, make a hoop out of coat hanger wire and wrap it with yarn to absorb some juice. You'll get better bubbles that way. Use a shallow dish or pie plate to hold your juice.

Once you get the hang of things, go ahead and experiment with the recipe.
Add a little more water or soap if you thing it needs to be stronger or weaker. Same goes with your K-Y. Experiment for best results.

Consider this recipe to be a starting point. Different recipes work better for different locations.
Things like temperature, humidity and wind will affect how well your bubble juice works.
There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" solution.

Have fun! :)

If you are worried about Kitty getting soap in the eye, keep a wet wash cloth on hand, just in case. :)
Ooooh thank you for the tips😸