Does anyone have pics of Cymric with tail?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the cat I found a few months ago is a Cymric. However, he has a long bushy tail and I can't seem to find pictures of Cymrics with tails.
If anyone has one of these cats, would you mind posting a pic or at least letting me know if this breed can have a bushy tail?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking, finding a purebred cat randomly wandering the streets is terribly unlikely. Most purebred breeders keep their cats properly contained. Almost all traits found in purebred cats can be found in the general cat population, making purebred identification even more difficult. So there's not much chance of him being purebred Cymric. Most likely a lovely domestic longhair who came to make your life happier :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that's usually the case. I do know of a couple of purebred shelter rescues though.

In any case, I'll post a picture to try ro find out what he might be.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that's usually the case. I do know of a couple of purebred shelter rescues though.

In any case, I'll post a picture to try ro find out what he might be.
Many shelters have domestic look-alike cats and claim them as purebred or crosses thereof, in order to entice someone into adopting.   Not particularly honest but it does help get more cats into good homes.   I especially see "Maine Coon" listed a lot  and it's fairly obvious that most if not all, are not purebred MC's.  Once you start learning about breeds it becomes somewhat easier to identify if a cat claimed to be a specific breed, is or isn't that breed.

I have serious doubts this is possible since reputable breeders will typically take the cat back if there is any issue.  None want to see the cats they have bred and raised wind up on the streets or a shelter.   It does happen, I nearly adopted a purebred Ragdoll from a rescue organization, however, I met with the owner and was presented with all the papers to view.  However, the cat was ill socialized, due to trauma and we decided she wouldn't be a good fit for our family.

Once I ascertained she was purebred, I told the rescue person the right thing to do was to contact the breeder, which they did.  The cat went back to the cattery, instead to be resocialized for eventual adoption.  

In the case of  the Cymric, it's especially unlikely as Willowy mentioned.  I can find only one breeder listed on the TICA site.  They, are in Alaska.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, I think purebred Siamese and Persians are found in shelters/as strays fairly frequently. And Bengals, more recently. They're the most common cat breeds, so of course the more of them, the more likely one will end up with irresponsible breeders/owners. Other breeds. . .not too likely. I'm sure occasionally one will end up stray or at a shelter but it's not really a high likelihood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've owned dogs all my life and I'm much better at identifying dog breeds. He probably is a domestic mix of some sort.  A friend had suggested Cymric and when I looked it up, it seemed like a possibility but when i checked again, so did a lot of other things. At any rate, he's got a very soft coat compared to the other cats in the house and I really would like to know where his big bushy tail came from.