Does Anyone Have Experience With Fancy Feast Dry?

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn’t even know they made dry food lol...

To make a super long story short- Hills has done a 180 formula change on their sensitive skin and stomach dry food. My cat is a gastro nightmare and I’ve had him 100% stable since December on this food and friskies indoor formula wet (none of the ones that have fish). I have tried every single expensive, boutique brand of wet and dry cat food and this is what works. He is on no meds and stable.

The grain free foods go right through him. I’m pretty confident it’s the peas. I also have to be careful with chicken. He’s been doing fantastic on the turkey varieties of friskies which do contain some chicken.

He eats 90% wet and occasional raw but I do leave dry out as he’s a large, very active boy and likes to munch throughout the day.

With the SD formula change I have tried a bunch of new kibbles with the most similar ingredients I can find and he won’t eat it. I was browsing purina foods and saw the FF dry turkey and chicken formula and it reads similar to the SD except it’s poultry meal and fats instead of pork.

Yes I’m aware the food reads like garbage, but it’s the closest in ingredients to the one he does well on. The other one was the RC one but he wouldn’t touch it.

Anyone feed dry FF?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm like you, I didn't realize they had a dry food. Maybe your boy will be ok with it?
:vibes: :crossfingers: :goodluck:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have u considered dr elseys? It has no peas potato or veggie matter. Uses meat gelatin as a binder. Might be the best quality food for a cat that can’t handle most other grain frees. If he does ok with raw he’s probably do well on the dr elseys.
The fancy feast try is pretty terrible. It’s full of a lot of things ever worse than the original science diet formula. If you’ve really exhausted all options tho I suppose you don’t have many other options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can’t get it in Canada.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
707E8338-7E35-4F8F-AB41-E98C1F69AF23.jpeg
This is the FF and the Old SD formula. Again- I’m trying to find a dry at this point that is the most similar to what works.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is sensitive to chicken, and the Friskies has chicken meat in it, you might want to start off with say 5 pieces a day. Sweet Gum can't handle chicken meat, but does okay with chicken broth and fat. She can handle 8 pieces of the Dr. Esley's a day. Sometimes 10, but more than 10 and she barfs. Just a suggestion.

TriciaS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat was dying from kidney failure the Fancy Feast Dry Chicken and Turkey was the only thing I could get her to eat, so it must at least taste good.
I think Royal Canin has a sensitive stomach food, have you looked at that?

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr Elseys is not available in Canada.

I bought both of the RC sensitive formulas- he wouldn’t eat them. Brought them both back yesterday.

I spent the afternoon driving around my city and managed to find some of the SD. I’m good for a few months and can keep researching.

I’d be fine with the ff dry I’d it didn’t have all the dyes and artificial flavours.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty who had issues didn't like the Fancy Feast dry :( She did well on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach, though.

However the FF is fairly cheap and worth a shot if you think it'll help :)

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought it once as a treat a few years ago. The main problem I had with it was the shape of the kibbles. They are oddly shaped with rather sharp corners. We have a couple of cats that dont really chew the kibble. When they would swallow it whole, they would gag. I was paranoid that they would scratch their throat on it, so we tossed it out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours liked Fancy Feast dry and Purina dry. then we discovered she had an allergy to chicken meat, not chicken broth or chicken fat. So she ended up with Fromm, which has chicken broth and chicken fat in it. Okay it looks expensive and awkward - you have to buy an 11lb bag, but it lasts one cat three months and that's free feeding. when we open it I put it in sealable sandwich bags so I'm only opening one three times a day for 5 or so days not the whole big bag. I think this keeps it fresher. I could be wrong.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not the best. But look. If you have a cat with a sensitive tummy and he can tolerate that food, you gotta do what you gotta do. And it's only 10% of his diet so it can't be that bad.

If he stops tolerating FF, try Purina ONE Sensitive Skin and Stomach. First ingredient is turkey (although chicken by-product meal is second) so it might work for him.

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast is considered a lower quality food, I would recommend to go with a different brand. It's pretty confusing which is good or not because people have mixed reviews, but generally the grocery store ones are to be avoided.

Last edited by a moderator: