Does Anyone Have Experience With Cancer In Young Cats?

JessK128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am heartbroken because I have just found out that my cat has masses in her pancreas and liver that the doctors suspect are cancerous. We are awaiting biopsy results. My shock comes from the fact that my kitty baby is only 3 years old. I thought that cancer was typically found in older cats. I am in tears at the thought of losing her so soon. Has anyone here heard of cancer in a cat so young? Please share your experiences. Any advice or support is welcome.

Thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through that. Three years is just too young to be going through that, not that it doesn't happen or there really is a great age for it, but your baby is just so young. :vibes::grouphug:

I've been down the road of cancer with a 9 year old. It's not easy but the good news is cats handle treatment much better then humans do. We did chemo and my boy barely showed any side effects. The actual vet visits seemed to be worse then the treatment for him. My only advice would be to do what you can live with. I have never doubted for a single moment the money I spent treating my boy. The months of top ramen and pinching pennies was worth it. The only thing I've ever regretted was how hard the actual visits were on him because of the drive. But if I had to do it again, I would.

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry. Sometimes these things just happen. I had a friend whose dog died at 3 years old.

If it is cancer, consider all your options and decide how much money you are willing to spend treating it based on what the prognosis is. I would also ask the vet how likely the cancer is to come back if you do treat it. I work with someone who spent thousands of dollars on chemotherapy and radiation, and the cat died a year later anyway. Pancreas and liver cancer sounds really serious, if that is what it turns out to be.