Does Anyone Have A 6' Or Taller Fence That You Keep Your Cats Within?

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd like to get one but not spend more than I need to and of course I want it to work. I don't imagine they could jump that high but I guess if have to get an idea of the average cat jump height. I'm quite sure one of my two couldn't jump a six foot fence but the other it's possible. I suppose the only way to find out would be to b hold a little test fenced area, which would probably be a good idea no matter what I end up figuring out about this if and when starting to build a fence or have one built. Any ideas/experiences?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need fencing leaning in and over so they can't just climb out besides, some people use like coyote rollers so they can't climb the top but I feel the overhang fencing is a better idea. You'd also have to dig down below a bit for the base, cats will dig their way out too. I have fencing for my dogs and the cats go out with me but the 6 foot fence alone would never hold them in, they can just climb the posts as mine is wood.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haev 8 foot tall privacy fences and the cats STILL climb over.We finally built a 24 x 24 covered enclosure, The only way a regular fence works is if you have supports that lean in towards the yard from the top of the fence and line it with plastic deer fencing, that is almost invisible once up. Just google cat fencing and you'll find several pictures.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A 6 ft. fence won't stop a cat from climbing over. What you need is a tall "cat-proof" fence where the top slants inwards, has rollers, and/or is electrified at the top.
My Feral And Rescued Cats
How cat proof 3.8 ft. fence?

FB_IMG_1524232515845.jpg

The above picture shows the cat-proof fence at our local shelter. It's 3 meters (9'10" ), slants in at the top, and the slanted part is electrified. Believe it or not, we've still had a few escapees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh you guys are awesome. Thanks for all the info. I don't expect there to be so much. Now I know how it's gotta be done. Thanks!