Does anyone else have a cat with a smooth tongue?

natalia f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are sweet but really energetic Tabbitha on the left is skittish Skittles on the right well lets just say sometimes it sounds like there is a pack of Doberman in a fight with bears

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are sweet but really energetic Tabbitha on the left is skittish Skittles on the right well lets just say sometimes it sounds like there is a pack of Doberman in a fight with bears
   Love that pack of Dobermans fighting with bears description.  
     Given Mouse manages to sound like a herd of elephants all on his own I'm not surprised your pack of kitty paws can put on such a fine performance.  
  It looks like they are pretty good friends too.  

Does one of them have a smooth tongue @Natalia F  ?   

Koukouchaos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sebastian's is the same way! He licked me a few times and I noticed it was quite smooth. He has difficulty eating wet foods that aren't just the right consistency, and it ends up just all smashed down in the bowl because he tongue isn't rough enough to grab the food.
My cat is the same! I thought I was only going crazy as people were always telling me there's no such thing as a cat whose tongue isn't sharp enough to grab wet food. Let the cat be hungry for few hours and he'll eat normally... But he always seems to lick the food, and as you said he smashes it down the bowl. I had to make any wet food into paste form by using the hand blender that's the only way he could eat, by licking his food. Now I am so relieved 😌

Koukouchaos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This might seem weird but ever since I adopted Mouse when he was about 15 weeks old I noticed his tongue was quite smooth. It's like he only has soft, short barbs so it feels more like a human tongue. When he gives me little kisses or licks my hand it doesn't feel all raspy like it would with other cats. For a while I thought maybe this was a Russian Blue trait (which he is) but when I asked about this I was told Russian Blues usually have really raspy tongues, presumably to cope with their dense fur. It fits with his gentle nature but I can't help wondering if it might be significant in some way.

Has anyone else had a cat with a smooth tongue, and if so did your cat have any health problems you thought might be related? (Mouse was quite sick with gingivitis and sores in his mouth for a while after he finished teething. Plaque still builds up really quickly on his teeth so he's on a special diet and daily dental care routine).
I got my cat "Sousou" at the age of 45 days. He always seemed to have trouble eating wet food, he would keep licking the food and try to eat but as a member mentioned in a reply, he ends up smashing his food the end of the bowl. I asked the vet and he said doesn't seem quite ubnormal, just let the cat be hungry for a few hours and eventually he will eat. I tried everything but nothing seemed to work until I started blending all his wet food with the hand blender and turn it into paste texture, that's only when he managed to eat by licking the paste. I've always said my cat has a softer tongue than other cats but no one ever told me their cat have the same issue! Now I know, other cats do have the same issue.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! This is an old thread, so I don't think that the OPs will reply, but glad to hear that your kitty was able to eat once you figured out how to fix his food.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Gee, sorry everyone, I've not been on site for ages! Mouse and Millie keeping me really busy with scoop duties. Never knew 2 cats could produce SO much waste. 😂

Hopefully everyone is now feeding well. Mouse has been feeding a bit too well and is now far more spherical than is healthy and so chilled out I doubt he will excersize any weight off, even with Millie chasing him about. 😂

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
A friend of mine's young tortie had a litter of 5 kits 2 weeks ago. She has introduced at least one new blue kitty to our world and possibly 2. There's one blond albino, one ginger, one black, one grey and one either black or dark grey. 😻

Attachments

Jeanne41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is the same! I thought I was only going crazy as people were always telling me there's no such thing as a cat whose tongue isn't sharp enough to grab wet food. Let the cat be hungry for few hours and he'll eat normally... But he always seems to lick the food, and as you said he smashes it down the bowl. I had to make any wet food into paste form by using the hand blender that's the only way he could eat, by licking his food. Now I am so relieved 😌
My Maine Coon also has a smooth tongue - which quite surprised me! It doesn't seem to impair his eating in any way but I do notice that he much prefers dry food to wet.

Bluelett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering a unsocialized cat, and when I finally got him to lick wet treats off my hand I noticed his tongue is not rough as a typical tongue. I wondered if its a sign of aging, but can't find anything about that. We don't know how old he is, so I thought that might be a. helpful hint, but doesn't sound like it so far. Also wonder if there's a mouth issue going on, as he also drools a lot when he eats hard treats from my finger. So maybe the drool is a sign of extra saliva in his mouth which coats his tongue? Who knows. Interesting to hear on this thread about other people's smoother tongued cats. Be well.

catleesie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, a decade has passed but I too have a chartruex rescue (not a Russian Blue as her beans are black not pink) that has a smooth tongue. She's going on 10 years old this year and has to be brushed out regularly because she's terrible at grooming. We call her our silly smooth-tongue. Glad to know she isn't alone, even if it's been as long as her lifespan since you posted haha.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine's young tortie had a litter of 5 kits 2 weeks ago. She has introduced at least one new blue kitty to our world and possibly 2. There's one blond albino, one ginger, one black, one grey and one either black or dark grey. 😻
That colour is actualy cream not albino. It is the dilute form of orange/gold. albino is white with blue eyes.

Now back on topic. Both my cats have rough tounges which really hurts because they love to give kisses. But it is like being kissed by a belt sander.

My old cat had a fairly smooth tounge but she rarely gave kisses. Not baby's butt smooth but more like a ring polisher.

SaraBJT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m glad I found this thread! I’ve been wondering many times lately why my black cat Bu has a super smooth tongue compared to his calico sister, and to our other white and grey cat.

I didn’t notice this before because he only just started getting into the habit of licking my hand (which is very cute!). I though that maybe age had something to do with it since he will be 8 years this year.

Now reading this thread I understand a few things more. For example, the fact that he didn’t clean his coat very well sometimes, or that with some type of wet foods he left a lot behind on the plate sometimes even though he was still hungry.