Does anyone else have a cat that is obsessed with your hair?

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At some time every night I wake up to Mickey giving the top of my head a wash and then chewing and licking my hair.  It is short and I have wondered if they think I am another cat and am needing a friendly gesture.  I see them do this to each other during the day but I suppose night time is the only time they can get to my head.  Mickey is the only one doing the washing, but Sammi will come and pat and pet my hair with his front paw.  I have gently pushed them away and discouraged it but just was curious.  In case it is going through anyone's mind, I wash my hair every day.  I doubt that it is dirty.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're grooming you. Your hair doesn't have to be dirty for this to happen. 

Oliver has tried this to me periodically but my hair is so long it hasn't become a habit for him. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

At some time every night I wake up to Mickey giving the top of my head a wash and then chewing and licking my hair.  It is short and I have wondered if they think I am another cat and am needing a friendly gesture.  I see them do this to each other during the day but I suppose night time is the only time they can get to my head.  Mickey is the only one doing the washing, but Sammi will come and pat and pet my hair with his front paw.  I have gently pushed them away and discouraged it but just was curious.  In case it is going through anyone's mind, I wash my hair every day.  I doubt that it is dirty.
I am smiling and chucking at the same time as I read this .. How cute!

From what I have read about mutual grooming between cats for instance, it is a sign of love, comfort and companionship. While this may not be a welcome activity in the night, you can take this as a sign that your kitty is very comfortable with you and this is one way he is showing his love and affection for you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to have heard these answers.  I am not disturbed by it at all and due to the fact that the main one doing this is the cat that came from a shelter not too long ago and he hates being petted or even touched during the day so I am thinking that the love is warming his little heart and that makes me very happy.  He will come up and act like he wants to be held or touched but when I do he cries and shies away.  This has always broken my heart for him, but I do not mind him giving me grooming during the night if this is what he is comfortable with.  I was just curious as it has become a nightly ritual with him.

Both boys try hard not to be affectionate to each other when I am around.  BUT if I catch them unaware they show a lot of affection to each other.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my charlie does this to me too.

**sighs**

always right by my ear.

if the feeling of sandpaper being dragged across my scalp wasn't enough to wake me up....the sound of it definitely is.

oh, he's also recently started on my eyebrows, and my eyelashes. yes. eyelashes. he LOVES to lick my eyelids open -_____- (the eyebrows and eyelashes are a once in a while type deal)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember my dad's cat had a 'fetish' for hair, he would sit on the chair behind you, knead and suck your hair until it was soaked! I thought it was cute, but a lot of people didn't!

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Phase 2 has been initiated ....  I went in to take a nap and he curled up on my shoulder and poked his nose in my ear and every breath he took sounded like a hurricane ripping through my skull.  LOL.  I cannot scold him.  He is just too cute.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Phase 2 has been initiated ....  I went in to take a nap and he curled up on my shoulder and poked his nose in my ear and every breath he took sounded like a hurricane ripping through my skull.  LOL.  I cannot scold him.  He is just too cute.
LOLLLL they've mastered the art of being annoying and cute at the same time.

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

LOLLLL they've mastered the art of being annoying and cute at the same time.
True enough...now if I can just find a way to get him to be a heating pad when I need one.  He is WARM.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

True enough...now if I can just find a way to get him to be a heating pad when I need one.  He is WARM.
one of my cats LOVES to sleep on my book bag allll the time. its so nice and warm every time i reach for it! haha

psychocat0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little girl Kali LOVES my hair... it is kinda a play thing for her... I have pretty long straight hair... It can be rather dangerous for me to braid my hair like sitting on the couch... she will leap and try to grab it... She likes to chew it... ick lol... I try to discourage it because with long hair I don't want it to like I don't know I just think of it as like string? Dangerous to eat... My hair falls out A LOT too (because of hormone issues). She will even chew it in the middle of the night too... not really suck it like she does a blanket but yeah... I don't know lol... I still love her to pieces

Ohh and when I get out of the shower my other girl Ivory would try to chew on my hair but I think that is because it is wet.

meezertorbie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats likes to bite my hair, but only after I have just washed it, when it is still wet. He will get on my back or shoulders if I am sitting down. It will start as licking, but then he will get a big mouthful on the back of my head and bite really hard, and start moving backwards like he is trying to rip it out. It is like he is mad at my hair for being wet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats likes to bite my hair, but only after I have just washed it, when it is still wet. He will get on my back or shoulders if I am sitting down. It will start as licking, but then he will get a big mouthful on the back of my head and bite really hard, and start moving backwards like he is trying to rip it out. It is like he is mad at my hair for being wet.
Mooch does the same thing. She always has!  If it's up in a wet bun (well, when my hair was long enough for that) she would get behind me on the couch and bite the bun. That wasn't quite so painful as when she would get scalp!

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both my boys love wet and newly washed hair but unfortunately I do not give them much access to it when I am up and out of the shower.  It is funny that they love hair so much and hopefully they find some other thing they love to nosh on as well.  I was mainly concerned that it meant they had a medical issue when I started this thread but now I realize it is just a "cat thing"  LOL

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes my kitten Mumsy does this too. 
He doesn't suckle my hair he just wants to play with it. Mine is long too, and most of the time I have to tie it back when I want to snuggle with him or he will try to eat it. I worry that he could get sick from eating hair  so when he does it I gently blow in his face. For the most part his hair cutting skills are just not there so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

xxreadyornotxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is insane with my hair she will paw at my hair if it is up in a pony as if saying "Bring your hair down right this second" and when it is down and I am laying she will stick her head  right threw my hair. So you aren't the only one either ha ha. :-)

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Angel was. 

I am now looking for a picture of her worrying herself into my husband's hair.  She loved bleach and absolutely CLEAN hair.

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a good giggle reading this thread. 

Cairo shares the hair obsession to the point that if I want peace, I have to sleep with my hair braided and tucked under the covers so she can't get at it. When they were younger they (but mostly Cairo) would also try to groom the insides of my ears, nose, eyelids, and mouth. Ro will still go for my ears on occasion. I love the love but it does make it difficult to sleep! Miami does it too but not nearly to the same extent and mostly contents herself with an occasional nose lick. 

Ro also tries to sleep ON my face.