Does any one know what kind of cat my princess is?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is apparently a tortie of some sort, possibly even a torbie (ie tortie and tabby)

There is tabby markings seen on her red / creme part, but one forumite (@Kat Hamlin ?)  explained to me these doesnt really count, because all red cats are tabbies.   But on one of the small pics I wonder if I see a classical tabby swirl in the black??

So more good pics of the whole body are welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snoopysmommie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have to catch he Lul butt to take some more...he mother is all black with white paws tho so I'm confused on her color

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snoopysmommie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is apparently a tortie of some sort, possibly even a torbie (ie tortie and tabby)

There is tabby markings seen on her red / creme part, but one forumite (@Kat Hamlin
?)  explained to me these doesnt really count, because all red cats are tabbies.   But on one of the small pics I wonder if I see a classical tabby swirl in the black??

So more good pics of the whole body are welcome!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting, her red spots are red, not creme.  But on the behind there is a band of creme...  I think its this I though as possibly classic tabby bulls-eye.

Im not sure, its bewildering, but its still possible...

Its my experience re tortoiseshells, if they are bewildering and you barely make  "where is the head where are the legs",  so they are torbies, ie tortie + tabby...

Sweet girl, I must add!

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think torbie, because the cats that I call torbies, anyway, are brown tabby where the black should be on a tortie.  Admittedly, since "brown tabby" is actually a black tabby with a high reddening factor, if you see tabby stripes in the black portion of her coat, you'd be justified in calling her a torbie...but usually they come out looking brown tabby with orange splotches mixed in.

She's an interesting tortie, I would say, I like the orange mask.

Yes, @StefanZ, as I understand it, red is genetically linked to the tabby pattern, so you can't have a solid red cat, only a red tabby of various types--classic, mackeral, even tipped or agouti (Abyssinian like).  So simply having tabby stripes on the red part of a tortoiseshell doesn't make it a torbie.  It's when the tabby appears on the black areas (usually, as I said, in the form of a brown tabby color) that you have a tortoiseshell tabby, or torbie.

As far as having a black mother--I'm not really up on cat color genetics, but I've seen plenty of black mama cats have colorful babies...and plenty not.  It depends partially on dad, too, of course, and within a litter you can have multiple fathers.  I only know that black and red are at the same place on the X gene.  Guess that means that for a black cat to have a tortie kitten, dad must have been red.  So mom had two black Xs, and kitten got one black X from mom, and the one red X from dad.  That's also why more males are red than females....they only have one X gene.  For a female to be red, she must have two red X genes.  And why male torties are sterile Klinefelters (XXY).  They have a red X and a black X and then a Y which is what makes them male.  But usually sterile due to the heavy influence of the X genes.