Does A Microchip On Your Cat Work?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we had gracie micro chipped as soon as she was big enough (10 weeks I think ) but do lost cats ever get reunited with owners even with these fitted? I had misconception they were fitted with some kind of gps tracker however alas no ! So if she ever went missing (she's an indoor cat however managed to get out once), your reliant on somebody finding her and taking her to vets to be scanned! I'm terrified of losing her already (only been 8 months). She manages to pull collars off so having a tracker on that won't work ! Are they any closer to inventing gps microchips do we even know?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, there have been many success stories with microchips.

Make sure that you have a tag on her collar with your name and phone number, and be sure to keep your info up to date with your microchip company. Most good samaritans that find lost animals take them to a vet ASAP to check for a chip.

I don't know if a microchip that would constantly ping a signal is something that would be safe to be inside an animal; microchips are inert until activated by a scanner, which is why they're safe. A GPS device has to have a battery, an antenna, and the entire GPS computer module, which means that even the littlest ones aren't very little. Until they figure out technology to make the module even tinier, create a 15+ year battery, and figure out a way to keep it inert unless activated by an outside source (probably a station in your home that would have an activate button), I don't think we can safely place an internal GPS locator.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are microchips available (I've been told) that can be used to track the location of your cat, presumably via GPS; however they're more expensive and the service to keep track of them is a long way from being free. With Home Again and similar services you pay a one-time fee and keep your information updated with the company. If you find yourself needing an extra Home Again collar tag you pay a few dollars to have another sent to you. The collar tag tells anyone who finds your cat that its humans care enough to have had it chipped and that this is a lost pet, not a feral.

A standard microchip is inserted in a standard location in the cat, which makes it easy for anyone with the proper equipment (i.e. vets, shelters) to search for and find it. This is the first thing any reputable shelter will look for when they receive a new cat, if only because reuniting the cat with its furever home gets it off of their hands.

If you want something to actually track the location of your cat, there are collar tags available that will give you GPS on your cat, separately from a chip. I believe these or other collar GPS devices are what's been used for the many YouTube videos titled "Where does your cat go when you're not looking?" or something similar.

Jasmine has a Home Again microchip and I receive their emails telling me of lost pets in my area, complete with pictures. When I go back to their website a week or two later and check on the pets I've received alerts on, I frequently discover that the pet has been found.

Margret

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I work at a shelter, and microchips very definitely help reunite stray dogs and cats with their owners, provided people keep their contact details up to date. A collar with an ID tag is added insurance, because some people won't bother to take a cat they find to a vet or shelter to be scanned for a chip. If she constantly removes her collar, you could try Beastie Bands.
They're the only ones our cat will leave alone, and other people have had similar success with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks ! I put a collar on her today and she seems fine ! She is older now though since last time I tried ! I know she is inside only cat however she did get out once and was so spooked ! My hubby ran after (which know shouldnt do) but did catch her ! I shudder all the time thinking if he didn't as she's never been out ! Think she rememebers her 'outing' as if she notices us go to open a door she runs away !