Do your indoor cats wear collars? Why or why not?

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jacob wears a collar (he loves his pretty collar with it's shiny tags) but Loki refuses. They're both indoor boys, but are microchipped.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats wore collars. Felicia is the only one that fought them. On the other hand, if Shadow lost hers, she would keep meowing at me until I put it on again.
Inky, Cleo and Beau all wore collars. But it didn't matter one way or the other to them.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are neither microchipped, nor do they wear collars. They HATE the outside and run hide if they think I am going to take them out.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, because I live in a large, busy city with tons of people and tons of dangers, even if my cats have to get past a minimum of 2 locked doors to get outside. If they somehow ever did make it outside, they need to look owned, otherwise there's no end to the list of terrible things that could happen to them. They are microchipped and one of their tags says something like "If I am outside, I am lost." the back says "AVID microchip-reward for my safe return"

Mine also have always done just fine with collars...no shredding, no hair-loss, no nothing. Maybe I'm just lucky!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No collar. I like things "au natural". If my grandmother was still alive she would tell you that if God had wanted cats to wear collars they would have been born with one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Trout doesn't mind the collar, but my ex always said she looks cuter without it...I don't know though...hmmmmmm..

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are all micro-chipped but no collars, with the long hair it would not work and they would have a fit. Did try to keep one on Joey because he's indoor/outdoor but he loses it everytime. Teddy our cat at my husband's office wears one, he doesn't mind it

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats all wear collars. I order the Ragtime collars and have them personalized with our phone number, so I don't have to hang tags on them. (I also usually cut the bells off, because I know I wouldn't want to listen to a bell jingling every time I moved!) Blue just lost her collar somewhere in the house and I couldn't find it, so I ordered her a new one when I ordered our new boy Thomas' collar.

I also microchip all my kitties. Delilah and Midget have their chips, Blue will get hers on Tuesday when she gets spayed, and Thomas will get his when he goes for his initial check-up tomorrow. Chipping is wonderful if kitty ends up in a shelter, but I'm afraid that if my indoor kitties got out they might be taken in by someone who never checks for a chip. Hence the collars!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoors only and don't wear collars. I'm the only person here so chances are very slim they would ever get out. They are all microchipped though.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our girls all wear collars. Mainly because if they do and they get found with no collars, I'd hate people to think they were strays and just keep them. If they get found with a collar, people (I hope) would be more likely to look for an owner.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those that just microchip another thing to think about is some people are not "up with the times". Many do not know about micro chipping or think about taking to the vet to scan them. So if you have a tag that says Micro-Chipped and the vets # at least they will be inclined to look into it. Remember not every person who finds a cat is going to know everything about cats or animals for that matter.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine wear collars as I know the humane society doesn't check for microchips often. They are breakaways, but I feel better. Twitch, Lily, & Ophelia have ID tags, while Damita & Dorian still just have rabies tags. I think the collars look nice, but my whole reasoning for collars was so Damita could hear who was coming & each cat has a different bell, so she knows exacly who is approaching her(people in my house wore bells on their socks for awhile too
).

There is a .5% chance of mine getting out as well(esp. being deaf/blind/etc), but I figure there's always that chance!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Trout doesn't mind the collar, but my ex always said she looks cuter without it...I don't know though...hmmmmmm..
Post pics & we'll give you opinions if she looks cute with a collar or not!
Although I say she's gorgeous either way!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Abby does wear a collar with her rabies tag on it. It has her vets number on it and she can be traced from the rabies ID#. She is an indoor cat, but I feel more comfortable with her having the collar in case she ever does manage to slip outside. She is not microchipped, as there is little education on that in my immediate area. The service isn't widely offered, but I believe it is slowly becoming more popular. I will ask Abby's vet about it during our next visit.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

For those that just microchip another thing to think about is some people are not "up with the times". Many do not know about micro chipping or think about taking to the vet to scan them. So if you have a tag that says Micro-Chipped and the vets # at least they will be inclined to look into it. Remember not every person who finds a cat is going to know everything about cats or animals for that matter.
I also think that if I saw a cat outside with a collar on -- I'd be more inclined to think he is owned and leave him alone. Our neighbor has an indoor/outdoor cat with a collar on -- to me that means "I am not a stray -- don't try to catch me"

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dori doesn't wear a collar now, but she used to. I woke up one night to her thrashing around on my bed. I jumped up and turned the light on and found that she had managed to get her lower jaw caught up under the collar. She couldn't free it so her mouth was stuck open
It took me a while to let her wear one again.... when I finally put a new one on her I made sure it was snug enough not to allow her jaw to fit underneath, but loose enough not to choke her (insert 2 fingers between the collar and kitty), but she STILL managed to get her jaw caught. She hasn't worn a collar since.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ceci doesn't wear a collar anymore. She did when she first got free run of the house, just so I could hear where she was because she was always hiding. Then I just left them on her because they looked pretty
Finally I cut the bells off because they were plain annoying.

She doesnt wear them anymore because she was starting to get a ring around her neck and I didnt want to mess up her fur.

The new girl will be wearing a collar once she has full acess to the house, just because I want to know where she is at, and until I know how she reacts she will keep wearing. I wouldnt want her to get out without any ID.

I dont worry much about Ceci because she runs and hides and soon as the first door is open. By the time you open the screen door she is gone!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cassi and Ivory both wear collars, the rest will wear them if they have to travel, but otherwise they don't.

Although they are microchipped, Cassi is a former feral, and though she shows no interest in going outside, I know that if she got out, she would be very hard to catch, so she wears a bell, her rabies tag and a tag with the 800 number of her microchip carrier.

Ivory having only one eye and no fear could get into some big trouble outside, so she wears a bell, her rabies tag and her microchip tag, the microchip also links to her medical records as she has glaucoma.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I always go back and forth, and am not really sure if I should have a collar on Trout..Do your indoor kits have collars?

There is like a 0.5% chance she would ever get outside.
mine all do. it's not likely they'll ever get out [altho both Java & Chip have run out briefly] but 'better safe than sorry' is my motto. i use the Ragtime collars - they're breakaway collars, cotton, very light. they also have Boomerang id tags with their names, my home & cell numbers & the sentence - 'If you see me outside I am lost - Reward'. that way i can be contacted, but my name & address are not available.