Do your cats take care of you when you're sick?

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I came home sick from work today, and as soon as I laid down Ruby was under the covers with me, curled up against my stomach and purring up a storm! She even started washing my hand when I went to pet her. :)
Can your kitties tell when you're sick/take care of you?
I know cats sometimes purr when they're sick/hurting, do you think they do it to help us, too?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All four of my cats take care of me when I am sick.  Starbuck my oldest is daddy's girl but when I am sick she will actually climb under the blankets and lay next tome. If she is not in the bed she is laying next to my head on my pillow.  Sonny will lay on my feet to keep them warm.  Apollo will either lay down on top of the bed next to me or lay across my legs on top of the bed.  Casey will usually lay on me or next to me when I am sick.  All of them come up to me and groom me or snuggle on me purring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ruby is daddy's girl too, but she loves being a caretaker. :lol3:
Lucky you, with so many snugglers! I had four at my parents house, but it's just Ruby (and Jasper for a bit) since I moved out.

Last edited:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! My recently over the bridge Sidney always took care of me...she laid on my bed with me all day when I was home sick, she laid beside me when I injured my leg and she even got up and checked on me in the bathroom when I woke up in the middle of the night in crazy pain with kidney stones! Not to mention all the times she warmed my heart when I was sad. She was so good at taking care of her momma I hope I was just as good to her! 

narelle

Lover of Cats and Catfish
Young Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to cats (getting allergy shots though) and my allergies cause flu like symptoms - massive headche, weak to the point I can't lift my head, and lots of vomiting.

And my kitties try to come see me when I'm sick. ^^;; As much as I love my kitty snuggles, I have to chase them away so they don't make me worse. (Its usually not them that sets me off in the first place, but extra allergens certainly don't help.) But any time I fall asleep I wake up with someone sleeping on me.

I have very snuggly, affectionate cats though, and they don't normally get to sleep with me (because of my allergies - they do get in plenty of snuggles whenever I'm hanging out on the couch, which is usually where I am when I'm sick). So I always just assumed they just wanted to sleep with me while they had the chance. I like the idea that they're concerned about me being sick and trying to help, even if their helping probably makes things worse. ^^;;

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky always did. Not sure so much about the others. I've not been that sick with them (other than migraines and colds). Lucky didn't hang around me for those either, but he did when I had the flu. I'm willing to bypass this experiment if it means I don't get the flu :lol3:

I will say that when I'm sad, Oscar in particular gets very loving, rubs on me a bit more, comes over and looks at me as if he's asking, "Are you ok?" He was very much like this after Lucky died, and when I have my massive crying sessions. He's a lot like his Uncle Lucky in terms of his personality, actually. Especially how Lucky was when he was a kitten.

samrosa-re25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You bet they do!  I was sick for quite a few months and a stray cat would come and visit with me every morning.  She would hear me outside and I would hear her walking on the roof of the patio to come and visit!  I adopted her since then!  Her name is Mama, my nurse!

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Archie is very nurturing.  He cuddles up when I'm sick in bed, occasionally licking my hand or arm.  And he takes care of Lucy when she isn't feeling well.  Archie will curl up around her and snuggle for hours.

Lucy is more aloof; she generally keeps her distance when someone in the household falls ill.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a bad stomach bug about a month or so ago and it kept me in bed for the better part of 4 days. Lilith stayed right by me for the majority of the time. There were quite a few times when I woke up to find her stroking my arm with her paw. :heart4:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had a three day stomach problem, Boris slept with me much more than usual.  It was comforting.  Also when I'm sad he will stand with his paws on my leg and look at me as if to ask what is wrong.   Love them kitties!

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These stories are all so sweet!

I don't get sick often...the first time I got sick since I adopted Felix was about 2 weeks ago, when I got some sort of virus. I do remember him curling up ON my face for a bit, but otherwise he was his normal self...vocalizing loudly for me to get out of bed to feed and play with him, etc. 

Last edited: