Do your cats finish up their food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guy is a grazer. He gets 4 small meals of 1.5 oz a day. He also eats 1/8-1/4 cup of dry food per day (depending on if he dislikes his meal(s) or not.) cats can’t eat a whole can in one setting.
I think my cat is most probably a grazer too. She can't even finish 50 Grams of wet food. But she'll never fail to finish up her kibbles, regardless of how many grams I gave her. But of course, I would like her to have more wet food than dry food. That's why I'm stressing out on how to make her likes wet food more 😂 guess it'll be a trial and error phase.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TeaMatcha My guy is a tuna addict. In all seriousness if you are in the USA you might want to hold off on including more wet. (Transportation issues since her pandemic started & been really bad since Dec.) Since Jan I have had issues getting my cats tuna fancy feast and he is rejecting a lot of his wet food now. I have noticed he eats less wet and more dry. I’m reducing him to 3 or 2 meals this month becuase throwing away the food for months is getting to me. I mean I’m trying 3-4 stores and websites looking for his preferred wet food for the month (& Amazon sells it for 2-4 times the price! 🤦🏻‍♀️)

If you start her on wet never let her try fancy feast or she will never eat the healthy wet food again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TeaMatcha My guy is a tuna addict. In all seriousness if you are in the USA you might want to hold off on including more wet. (Transportation issues since her pandemic started & been really bad since Dec.) Since Jan I have had issues getting my cats tuna fancy feast and he is rejecting a lot of his wet food now. I have noticed he eats less wet and more dry. I’m reducing him to 3 or 2 meals this month becuase throwing away the food for months is getting to me. I mean I’m trying 3-4 stores and websites looking for his preferred wet food for the month (& Amazon sells it for 2-4 times the price! 🤦🏻‍♀️)

If you start her on wet never let her try fancy feast or she will never eat the healthy wet food again.
Ain't that the truth!

When I first adopted Betty, I failed to ask the shelter what she was eating before. I figured I'd start her on Fancy Feast and move her to something else. "I have the rest of her life to guide her to better food choices," I told myself. Well, here we are two months on and it was only this latest hairball that I was able to reset her on Hills I/D. I am surprised how much she likes this food. It looks even junkier than FF, though. That probably explains it. 🤦‍♂️

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine are super bad about finishing their food. They want to graze and that can't happen with their wet food.

Charlie and Gracie (and sometimes Milo) are usually pretty good about eating what they want, where as Jasper will snub it if it isn't what he WANTS me to put down for him.

Sammy and Mia want to be able to eat when they want to eat.

I've dabbled with the idea of just keeping some of the dry food (Dr. Elsey's cause they all REALLY love that) down consistently for them but I hate to do that, too. It's just becoming such a headache keeping up with them, lol. I feel for anyone with picky eaters.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I add a teaspoon or so to each 3oz can of wet food to make it stay fresh longer & to help my slightly constipated cat get more water. Still I only expect the wet food to last 8 hours max and I really only expect him to nibble at will the first 4 hours.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try different wet foods (flavors and brands). Minish, who gobbles up almost anything does not even come close to some wet foods despite the ingredients look great. Or you can try some boiled chicken, cooked fish etc
And calorie need differs a lot for each cat. Observe your cat for about 2 or 3 weeks when eating same amounts of food every day. If your cat is in good shape and active like before, doesn't lose weight, it means the portion sizes are right.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat also takes a long time to eat his wet. He has weird sleep schedule and basically has no interest in food from morning until evening. When I used to feed him twice a day, he would only eat once evening hits, even if he's awake during the day. The daytime food would end up dry and oxidated by the time he eats it. I tried feeding him his whole day's portion (5.5oz pate) at evening and he always finishes by morning. It's very different from the usual advice of many meals a day, but it works great for him and less food waste.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It takes Lydia 12 hours to eat 3 oz of wet food. She actually mostly eats it overnight. So I have taken to giving her a bit of kibble that sits out all day and then giving her a can of wet right before I go to bed. It's gone in the morning.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, one will mostly only eat dry food (he weighs about 8lbs), one will only eat wet food (she weighs about 12lbs), and the third will eat whatever is available (she weighs about 11lbs). I feed them all one 5.5oz (155g) can of wet food and about 1/3 cup of dry food in the morning and then two 5.5oz (155g) cans of wet food and 1/3 cup of dry food in the evening. There is almost always leftover stuff in all bowls. Sometimes it's a lot and sometimes it's barely any. I've always assumed it was because one or all of them didn't like that days food flavor that I gave them.

Donny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can try different wet foods (flavors and brands). Minish, who gobbles up almost anything does not even come close to some wet foods despite the ingredients look great.
Yeah, it's true. My cats are the same. However, here you should be very careful. Cause not all foods that your cat likes are good for their health. Sometimes a cat refuses food that is without flavorings and flavor enhancers. Me, for example, I precisely determined the amount of food my each cat needs for a day and follow this diet. I followed the guidelines at https://www.cаtfoodpoint.com/how-much-wet-food-to-feed-a-cat/ where I learned about the importance and connection of lifestyle and current health with the portions a cat needs. I'm sure, each cat is individual, like a human, but at least I have the general Idea if I feed my lovely pets right. I can also notice if each of them feel okay if they left food during a day.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My female cat would not touch wet food for 16 years. I tried probably every single brand and texture out there over several years. I wasted a LOT of money. She just wasn’t interested. She only wanted her dry food and nothing else. She has started eating some wet only because I got some kittens and she’s decided she likes it since they eat it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My female cat would not touch wet food for 16 years. I tried probably every single brand and texture out there over several years. I wasted a LOT of money. She just wasn’t interested. She only wanted her dry food and nothing else. She has started eating some wet only because I got some kittens and she’s decided she likes it since they eat it.
I sometimes have to mix in freeze dried treats the brand Orijen has treats a different texture than pure bites,they're softer and look like treats

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Boys eat what's Put out for them or go hungry . I don't purchase Inexpensive Food. I try to purchase the Best quality Available . Now some flavors they like better than others. Turkey Pate wet food takes longer to be consumed. Their favorite Is Blue Buffalo Wilderness "Red Meat". I have feed them Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry Chicken /Hairball control. The older boy likes this . They get Wisker lickens frequently as a treat.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat started to REALLY hate the Wellness Tiny Tasters that I gave her every day during lunch (different flavours). I tried giving her in the morning instead but she just sniff and air buried. I chased after her with the food and she will get really really annoyed at me and she will starve herself till I give her whatever that she wants that day 🥲

I think I should give her 15 grams of kibbles in the morning at 5am, and for lunch, I'll get my mom to give her some freeze dried chicken with some freeze dried food, around 12pm. For dinner, I'll be back home and give her 80 or 50 Grams wet food around 8pm. And some more kibbles before I go to sleep (if she is ever hungry). Not too sure if that's too little. What do you guys think? 😊😅

I'm just concerned that she don't take much water (she does drink but not all the time) and I heard giving kibbles is bad for the kidney in the long run. But ultimately, she really hate wet food.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat started to REALLY hate the Wellness Tiny Tasters that I gave her every day during lunch (different flavours). I tried giving her in the morning instead but she just sniff and air buried. I chased after her with the food and she will get really really annoyed at me and she will starve herself till I give her whatever that she wants that day 🥲

I think I should give her 15 grams of kibbles in the morning at 5am, and for lunch, I'll get my mom to give her some freeze dried chicken with some freeze dried food, around 12pm. For dinner, I'll be back home and give her 80 or 50 Grams wet food around 8pm. And some more kibbles before I go to sleep (if she is ever hungry). Not too sure if that's too little. What do you guys think? 😊😅

I'm just concerned that she don't take much water (she does drink but not all the time) and I heard giving kibbles is bad for the kidney in the long run. But ultimately, she really hate wet food.
I have male cats so I don’t give them dry food except very rarely. I don’t know the metric system very well but for my 4 cats I use 4 5.5 ounce cans a day. It’s not necessarily the amount you’re feeding, but it should be by calorie. Depending on age, activity and current weight, a cat needs a different amount of food. Mine are all around 7 or 8 pounds so I aim for 200ish calories a day for them spread over 2 meals.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have male cats so I don’t give them dry food except very rarely. I don’t know the metric system very well but for my 4 cats I use 4 5.5 ounce cans a day. It’s not necessarily the amount you’re feeding, but it should be by calorie. Depending on age, activity and current weight, a cat needs a different amount of food. Mine are all around 7 or 8 pounds so I aim for 200ish calories a day for them spread over 2 meals.
Mine is 4kg. I think it's 8.8 pounds? She's not very active. She sleeps most of the day except when I'm home playing with her. She's 1 year 1 month. I'll try to calculate the calories of food. Thank you!

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds pretty similar to my cat :') I tried almost all the brand that's available in my country. She just doesn't want wet food that much. She isn't very food/treats motivated. She wants to finish the dry food at her own timing and not at one sitting. At first I was quite concerned as I do feed stray cats twice a day, and they'll usually finished up a 80grams wet food with no issues. But my cat, can't even finish a 50grams wet food despite adding in treats or etc.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine tend to like fancy feast or friskies pate with a shredded mixed in. One of mine has loose poop and it smells god awful so I am switching them to Koha. I have read really good things about it but it is kind of pricey. I am not sure what country you’re in or if they ship there. I ordered a trial pack directly from their website and should get it tomorrow

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats ever finishes their food.