Do you wet your cats fur before brushing/combing?

straycat212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The groomer where I take my cat to get his nails cut says I should wet his fur beforehand
, because cats have very delicate skin. I never heard of this before, maybe that's why he's not very fond of getting brushed?

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I have never heard that either, Zeus has short hair and hates to be brushed!

Maybe I should try that too, I would think a groomer has more experience with brushing....thanks for sharing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straycat212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's true or not tho, that's why I posted hoping for more input.

I will say this tho, I started wetting his brush, and it glides more easily, he's not squirming as much.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting! I'm going to try this since my cat doesn't really like being brushed.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat is long haired I would not wet the coat first. If wet any tangles in the coat will tighten as it dries, making it nearly impossible to get them out. The only time I use water in grooming is to freshen the cats ruff by misting and blow drying and also on my dogs coat when combing him (a Sheltie).

frostie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried it! It's so much more efficient to brush my cat after her fur is slightly dampened. Before the brushing session, I would wet my hands and give the kitty a body massage to transfer the water to her fur. It seems to work like magic and definitely less static.