Do You Tip Service People?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I always tip the woman who does my hair; even when she had her own hair stylist business, I still tipped her. Now that she's at Ulta, I tip her. It's $12, which is only about 18%.

When the guy did my car, the bill was $1,000. I wrote the check out to him, but then I gave him $100 because I appreciated the time and effort he took to do a good job.

I've always tipped the guys when they deliver appliances to us. Usually ten dollars per guy; there's usually two of them. On Saturday, the guys delivered the dryer and they installed it. I went down to the basement and the guys were outside putting the old dryer in the truck. I asked Rick if he gave them anything and he said he didn't even think about it. So I ran outside quickly and handed each guy $10....told them to buy a spot of lunch or something.

When the guys installed our new kitchen cabinets, Rick didn't tip them. But he ordered lunch and had it delivered for them both days.

What do you do when somebody delivers and installs stuff for you?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
We tip. Jon always tries to tip whoever does our work. He tips the waitresses. I tip the groomer who does Honeybee. I haven't been to a salon for 10 years but I don't remember if I tipped then. I only went once a year or less. I cut my own hair for the past 2-3 decades. Jon cuts his own hair too with the clippers.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always tip at restaurants and hair salons. I haven't tipped when we have had furniture or appliances delivered. I think we've already paid $60-100 for the delivery fees around here.

I cut DHs hair. I'm going to tell him he should tip me. :p

RequestKen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Denmark where we don't really have a tipping culture, so generally I don't. I have done it on the rare occasion though when someone has gone beyond the call of duty to provide a service for me. Like once when I had a locksmith come out on a Saturday night because I had locked myself out of my apartment...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm never quite sure who to tip :/. I haven't tipped delivery people, because I'm already paying $100 for delivery and I guess I hoped that most of that goes to the guys who are actually delivering (probably a little naive there).

I do tip the haircut lady. . .usually $5 but I just get a basic $20 cut and wash so that's 25%! Of course I tip at restaurants. Other than that I can't think of any other services I use that might require tipping.

I do need to get my collie in for grooming. I've never had a dog professionally groomed before so I'm going to have to google how much to tip them.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tip everywhere that it's expected.
I also will tip for certain deliveries that don't. Like, if I got furniture, especially if it needs to be brought up or down a flight of stairs. Usually $10 per person.
I used to tip the cleaning people but stopped because every time I use them it's nearly $300 just for the company. They always send like 3-4 people and well, another $30-40 on top of the $300 is way too much for my pocket.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tip the people that deliver appliances $10.00 each and the women that does my hair, 20% even though she is the owner. It is a small shop and with only her and her daughter.

How much do you tip the people that deliver food and how much for the cashier that takes your carry out order? I tip 20% for the delivery and $2.00 for the cashier.

Muffy

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always tipped the barber for my son, and now that he's older, he can do it. I don't tip the pump guy or the car people though. They charge by the hour and are pretty expensive to begin with.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I tip for the services I use on a regular basis but not the delivery people if I paid for delivery upfront. We don't order out often but on the rare chance we do I always tip the delivery driver especially in inclement weather. I tip at my favorite coffee shop too. :) I always tip at restaurants no matter how bad the service but obviously more for excellent service and less for poor service. Instead of tipping the groomer at each visit I write a generous check at the holidays. I clean my own house and DH cuts our lawn so no tips there. :wink:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We tip at restaurants. Sometimes, if it is a fiasco, no tip, which doesn't happen often.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm never quite sure who to tip :/. I haven't tipped delivery people, because I'm already paying $100 for delivery and I guess I hoped that most of that goes to the guys who are actually delivering (probably a little naive there).

I do tip the haircut lady. . .usually $5 but I just get a basic $20 cut and wash so that's 25%! Of course I tip at restaurants. Other than that I can't think of any other services I use that might require tipping.

I do need to get my collie in for grooming. I've never had a dog professionally groomed before so I'm going to have to google how much to tip them.
You can actually google customary tipping and get lists. I do that when I have furniture or appliances delivered. I also did it when I hired someone to move my things the last time I moved.

Provided the service was good I always tip 20% at the hair salon. If I am with other people then I chip in 20% of my bill at a restaurant. If it is just me I usually tip a little more because I am tying up a server's table with just one order.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I always tip at restaurants, always. I occasionally do at coffee shops, bakeries, etc. Always for my hairdresser. Pizza delivery, etc is always. We haven't dealt with furniture and appliance delivery that often, but I know my husband has in more unusual circumstances. He also gave a lawnmower service guy a huge type for amazing service once. I always tip a hotel housekeeper.