Do you think Peanut is lonely?

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For about 10 months my younger cat Angel has banned Peanut from the bedroom. Peanut (who turned 13 yesterday - happy birthday) has been fine with that for the last 6 months. The only time he goes in there is when we're playing and I forget and run in there.Even when Angel is too aggressive that she gets locked in there, he has been ok with that too.

Last night Angel was being mean so she's in our room tonight and Peanut has been meowing at our bedroom door. He has not done this before. I was up until almost midnight. I'm not sure what time he started meowing but my daughter woke us up at 4am and he was sitting right outside the door. He followed us around while I got her medicine, and then pushed open the bathroom door when I was in there. He didn't come in, just sat outside the door.

I felt bad so I came out to sit with him. He layed on the floor for awhile and is now sleeping in his cat tree.

He has been a loner for quite awhile. Years. He spends all day in the basement or under my daughter's bed. He started that before Angel joined our family. Do you think he could be getting lonely? I know it's only one night but he relaxed so much when I came out here. Maybe we should try keeping Angel in the bathroom instead? She calms down faster in my room which is why we lock her in there. Any thoughts?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How were they introduced to each other initially? Personally I would try and do reintroductions between them. This article tells you a great way to do that.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

I would do this because it's a shame that either have to be isolated. Most cats can learn to get along with some effort. Even if they do not become best friends, they learn to tolerate each other. It's rare they can't.

Scent swapping and the use of food is one of the best ways to teach cats that being together feels good.

Many cats, as they age, do tend to start wanting more company. You will find cats who have never been lap cats, suddenly become one, ect.

And...
to Peanut!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They were introduced slowly at first. Sniffing through the door and we had one room that was Angel's durring the day and Peanut's at night. Finally we let them peek at each other through a slit in the door until they started getting along. After that they were buddies for 3 years. When the fighting started we did reintroductions. That was last December.

Do you thing doing introductions a 3rd time will help? Most of the time they get along.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It couldn't hurt. Do you do scent swapping and use feeding in your steps? These steps are the most effective. You may not need to confine either of them if they get along most of the time. Just rub them each down with 2 towels and place them under their food bowls. You could also use one grooming brush to groom each of them with. This helps them to associate good feelings with the scent of the other cat. You can also use socks or wash clothes with each of their scents, placed in places they sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They hate being rubbed with towels so I'll let my husband do that part. :) At this point I'm willing to try anything. I'll let you know how it's going in a few days.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest way to rub them down, would be to wait until they are ready for some lap time. Place the towel on your lap, then slowly use the edges to pet them. Do not try and go at them with a towel like your trying to catch them with it. lol. They will certainly just take off if they see you with this big towel coming at them. Use as small a towel you can. Grooming each with the same brush works well too. Using as many combinations of scent exchanging is best.

The process can take a while to start working. Some can take weeks to months. Don't get discouraged after a few days if you see no results. Consistency is key. Good luck, and definitely keep us posted.