do you think long haired moggys are

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
usually calmer and less likely to fight or wander than short haired moggyies? someone recentally actually at the vet office claimed this was curious what you guys think?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. An unaltered cat is going to have the urges to do that no matter what it's coat type.

My own neutered long hair is currently racing around the house... nothing calm about him. And really each cat is different. Sometimes with your moggies you'll get some temperament from the parents but usually you don't know what you have until you're around the cat.
With breeds you have a bit of predictability because they've been bred for temperament and looks - so what people may be saying is a calm DLH could really be a cross with a parent that's a persian, ragdoll, or another long hair breed that's a more sedate breed.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DLH is very calm and even though she goes outside, she never leaves the yard any more, except for one day a couple weeks ago when she chased another cat out of the yard and over the fence!

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bella was the only long-haired kitty I ever been owned by and she was the MOST affectionate, laid back, loving moggie I have ever had. BUT I think that was more about her personality than her long hair.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking long haired breeds are less active than shorthaired (think Persian or Ragdoll vs Bengal, Ocicat, Siamese etc.). Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve only had 4 shorthair moggies and 3 long hair moggies but the l/h were less active.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a combination of short haired and long haired moggies. The short hairs seem to be more active and wander somewhat more than the long haired ones but they seem to try to avoid fights whenever possible. The long hairs seem to be more relaxed and calmer except one (who I hope is just going through an adult phase and settles down when she reaches seniorhood - she is calming down a little) - Lil' Jag (she's a Persian cross and is the fiestiest one in the family so far - she will chase stray cats if she sees them).

Our calmest three so far are/were Sphinx (DSH), Kuce (DLH) and Luvbug (DLH).

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DLH is literally comatose most of the time. He has been like that since he was a kitten, he never really played or acted fiesty. He has his moments where him and Gigi will play or the other kitties will antagonize him but most of the time he is snoozing on the bookshelf, in a window, or the back of the couch. I never have to worry about him when I do a headcount he is my dependable old man kitty.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two DLH gray (or blue) cats. The female is high strung to the extreme. I've written about her several times. Her name is Ariel and she now lets me touch her - pet her - at times, after I've had her a year. She likes other cats much more than people. She likes to play.

My male DLH, Harlow, is the most curious of all my current cats. He is always interested in what is going on. He is also my most outgoing cat. He actually won't hide when visitors come over. He's also very playful and quite often he asks me to take out Da Bird from the closet. He is often in conflict with my DSH male, Claudio. Also, he had problems with other male cats at the shelter where he was for over 2 years. So, I don't think I'd say he is calmer than other cats I've known. And if he were allowed outside I'd think his curiosity would make him wander and his aggression would come out more with stranger cats. He is nice to people, though.

And Ariel is definitely not calm, though not aggressive - to cats.

So, I don't know.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I would disagree. My DLH, Isaac, is the bully of the house. He is a sensitve cat and a bit high strung. None of my cats go outside, so I can't comment on that part.