Do you sleep with your cat?

sanoah01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All three cats stay in the bedroom at night with me, but it's usually only the "middle child" that sleeps on the bed with me. He likes to use the top of my pillow to sleep on. The older one usually sleeps on their cat tree, and the youngest is usually on the cat bed, or under the human bed.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats sleep different places depending on mood. Usually the bedroom door is open and they can come in if they want to. One prefers sleeping on the cat trees or on his lamb skin, the other one loves a spot in the bathroom and the third kitty sometimes likes to sleep under the covers. 

Last edited:

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They nap during the day in their cat beds sometimes but at night they always, always sleep with me, either on the bed or near it. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 20 cats beds (8 cats). They use them. But at night, there's at least three or four in bed with us. Shel and Billy sleep snuggled up to my neck with my arm around them in their head in my hand. It usually starts with Billy there, and I wake up with Sheldon there. :lol3: Lazlo sleeps between Gary's legs, and Flowerbelle sleeps tucked in to the crook of my knee (although the last few nights she's been sleeping on my upper back by my neck. :lol3: ). Ming Loy sleeps between us by our legs, and Spooky sleeps between us snuggled up to Gary. Chum sometimes sleeps on the bed; often on the pillows over my head, and Tuxie usually sleeps at the end of the bed. In Winter, seven of them are usually here in with us and Tuxie's absent. Though now that he's taken over the end of the bed, I suspect this winter there will be 8 in here with us. :lol3:

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many of you got a bigger size bed to make room for the cats? I read in the local paper once someone bought a king-size bed to make room for their dog.

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many of you got a bigger size bed to make room for the cats? I read in the local paper once someone bought a king-size bed to make room for their dog.
Guilty as charged!! I had a full bed but got a queen cos I toss and turn in my sleep and would knock the cats of the bed and wake myself up. No such issues now. :)

How many of you wake up when you bop a cat with your foot, knee, shoulder? I wake up instantly, just like with a baby. LOL :)

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guilty as charged!! I had a full bed but got a queen cos I toss and turn in my sleep and would knock the cats of the bed and wake myself up. No such issues now. :)

How many of you wake up when you bop a cat with your foot, knee, shoulder? I wake up instantly, just like with a baby. LOL :)
I never figured out how Wilbur woke me up (except for the one time he sat on my pillow washing my hair). I just always blamed him because I saw him on the bed hours before the sun came up.

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never figured out how Wilbur woke me up (except for the one time he sat on my pillow washing my hair). I just always blamed him because I saw him on the bed hours before the sun came up.
Ha! Mine are more insistent. They will walk on me, jump on me, meow loudly or better yet, stick their noses in my ears. I even have one stand on my chest stick her nose to mine. 

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! Mine are more insistent. They will walk on me, jump on me, meow loudly or better yet, stick their noses in my ears. I even have one stand on my chest stick her nose to mine.
Reminds me of the zillion times Patricia sniffed my eyes, but that is a different story.

The one time meowing woke me up was actually Mom's fault. Emily was under the bed when Mom checked on me and she shut the bedroom door. Emily was hungry before I was awake, so the first thing I heard the next day was nonstop meowing.

nicaluboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yeah, it's usually four felines and a human!!  Snuggle bunnies!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats graciously allow me a small bit of THEIR bed. Much worse in winter when I have two large neutered toms, another slightly smaller, and Da Bad Goils all heaped around me. In summer, the worst they do is cut off the air from the fan.

donavatar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never let my cat sleep with me.  He shed fur so excessively that I never considered it.  When I inevitably adopt another cat though, I worry about rolling over onto him/her.  I've heard of folks suffocating infants this way and I guess a small adult cat or a kitten would have even less chance than a human baby.

Am I paranoid?  If the rollover event is slow, I have no trouble believing that kitty would wake me with a yell regardless of age, size, or whether kitty was sleeping at when it began.  The trouble comes from the fact that I have no way to know how fast I'm going to move in my sleep.  At stake is a precious life, so I shall be difficult to convince that it is safe to let a cat sleep with me, but I want to hear from you guys on the topic.

Believe me, if I could think of a way to test this scenario experimentally without running the risk of hurting a cat or damaging the bond of trust between us, I would do so

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad to see this thread. Jack sleeps ON me every night, usually between my legs or spooning with his head on my pillow. If I take a little nap on a Sunday afternoon his cat senses detect it and he is right by my side. In general, my sleep is ruined and I think I have developed a sleeping disorder. A small problem compared to the delight of having a warm furry cat touching the skin.

ibiscribe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There were a few times when Ana would crawl under the covers and snuggle up against my stomach. I'm a light sleeper though, so I couldn't allow it often--I couldn't doze off and on the way a cat does, and the spontaneous bouts of licking and purring woke me up. After we moved, while I was sleeping on a mattress on the floor all three of them would curl up on the foot of the bed. I didn't have much room for my feet but it was extremely cute. :p

Unfortunately, I ended up having to banish them from my bedroom shortly thereafter. Ana discovered that it was great fun to pounce on me in the middle of the night. I'd just be innocently sleeping and them FWUMP! Four (soft) paws pelting into my stomach, side or back, with the full 10-odd pounds of cat behind them. Then she'd go tearing off meowing (laughing?) down the hall to chase the other cats. She was such a scamp! After two or three instances of me waking up screaming from a dead sleep because I'd been "attacked", my mother insisted I sleep with the door closed so *she* could sleep at night, lol.

Last edited:

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blaze sleeps on my bed every night, as soon as I go to bed he jumps up on the bed or lays on my chest. He likes to sleep on my pillow, so I got him his own pillow that he can sleep on. Unfortunately he often will sneak off his pillow after I fall asleep, and onto mine so that I wake up with my head either on one little corner of the pillow, or my head will be off the pillow completely because he took over the whole thing.
The others will sometimes sleep on the bed (or on me) for part of the night and sometimes not.

jessp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girls, Piper and Pepper, love sharing/taking over the bed lol. There's nothing like a sleeping, purring kitty, though, so I don't mind too much :)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Boy Ruben goes to bed with my daughter. She bought him a luxurious pink fluffy bed that sits on the end of her bed. He loves it. In the night if I wake for any reason I accidently disturb him a little. Oops! Then he comes to sleep with me. I love the sound of purring in the middle of the night.