Do You Recognize This Type Of Wound?

Leo_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple of days ago my cat (about 6 months old) got an injury near his mouth. It happened indoors.

I've tried to figure out how it could have happened, but so far I've not managed to come up with any clear answers. If I can find out what happened, I can take steps to try to prevent it from happening again in the future (if possible).

So my question is:
Can anyone here recognize the type of wound (as shown in the attached photos), and try to deduce how it could have happened? Any help would be appreciated.

My theories so far:
  • He likes to run like mad around the apartment at certain times. I was thinking he might have run into something and hurt himself, but I don't really see anything that could have torn his skin like that.
  • Is it possible that he could have injured himself? Could he have clawed himself in the face by accident?
I discovered the wound shortly after he got injured, but I wasn't present when it happened. I know for sure that he's not been in a fight with other animals, because he's the only animal in my apartment.

The wound was dry and clean, and there was no loose fur. It's as if the patch of fur was ripped clean off his skin. He hasn't show any signs of pain, sickness, distress or fatigue. In fact, he's been behaving completely normal. I have of course tended the wound and will talk to my vet tomorrow when the clinic opens again.

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leo_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The photos were taken shortly after he got injured, by the way.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since you said your cat is indoors I wonder if he bumped into something, it doesn't have to necessarily be sharp. Or maybe he caught the side of his face on something when he had the zoomies. Either way I'm glad you having been tending to the wound and will be talking with your vet tomorrow to give you peace of mind. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :alright:

Leo_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, he might have caught his face on something, although it's hard to say for sure. I've been unable to find the patch of missing fur.

I've also talked to the vet and the wound is healing well.

Leo_The_Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Doesn't seem to be possible to edit/update messages, so I'm posting an update here:

I now believe that the cat most likely cut himself by accident with his own paws (I don't really see any other plausible explanation). When he's playing, he sometimes kicks himself in the face, and it could be that one of his hind claws got caught by his fur.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, he might have caught his face on something, although it's hard to say for sure. I've been unable to find the patch of missing fur.
I've also talked to the vet and the wound is healing well.
Glad he is doing better and thank you so much for coming back to keep us updated on his progress. :thumbsup:
(Regarding the Edit feature, I believe you only have a 2-hour window to change your message.)