Do You Like My Cat Yurt?

thoughtfulocean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I just finished making this yurt for my cat. It’s just been a side project that I’ve been doing for fun because I wanted one. I’ve shown it to a few people and have gotten pretty positive reactions. I never expected to try to sell these, but would like to make them if people are interested. It is a cnc cut plywood frame that slides ogether fairly easily and the fabric exterior Velcro’s to the outside. Do you think this is something other cat owners would be interested in? I could do different color fabrics/patterns and I even designed a larger one for my dog. I’m just trying to get some general feedback/thoughts on them before I spend more time on them. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice:) If there's interest, you could set up an Etsy shop to sell the yurts (red and white for a circus tent?:lol:) and whatever else you come up with.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I'm watching my cats play with a cardboard box, yes I think ANY cat would love it. You are very talented, it looks like a lot of work! Can they be massed produced easily, or will it always be time consuming to make/ Of course made to order would be definitely worth it to the one ordering it! Please keep in touch!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love it! Could you make a removable matching floor pad for comfort?
A cushioned pad mat to go inside the yurt / tent would be nice :agree: One that is completely washable or has a removable washable cover would be best. Maybe an optional dangly toy could be hung from the top inside the yurt / tent for added entertainment.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Love it! My boyfriend and I are trying to build ourselves a cob house. When we finish, maybe I should make a miniature version for my cats. :D

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I'm watching my cats play with a cardboard box, yes I think ANY cat would love it.
As someone who currently has about a dozen boxes of various sizes strewn in the living /dining room, I would totally go for a yurt / tent if it means I can get rid of most of the boxes and not feel embarrassed when I have non-pet people over:paperbag:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thoughtfulocean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cushioned pad mat to go inside the yurt / tent would be nice :agree: One that is completely washable or has a removable washable cover would be best. Maybe an optional dangly toy could be hung from the top inside the yurt / tent for added entertainment.
Thanks for the feedback. A matching mat/bed is something I’ve definitely considered as an option and a toy is a great idea as well. I guess my biggest concern at this point is price. Right now I think I would need to sell them for like $150 for it to be worth the time and effort. I have a feeling that is way too expensive.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like it. Especially the idea of different colors and you could offer to sell additional covers so people could have a replacement to put away. Or maybe different colors for different seasons. I don't no much about selling stuff online or pricing it so I can't offer you feedback on pricing or marketing. I hope you do well with it because I really like it and even through I don't purchase stuff online maybe one day I will see one in a pet store:)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
$150 isn't bad for a handmade item:think: You need to cover some of the material cost and shipping. Why don't you take a look online to see what similar handmade items sell for. Etsy has a lot of handmade and customs made pet items. You can also ask other pet owners for their interest and how much they would willing to pay. FB has tons of pet groups if you use that.

Maybe you can make a few and take them around to craft shows, pet shows, etc to gauge interest.

Last edited:

thoughtfulocean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This new Etsy seller has pet yurts: Tree Wise PETS by TreeWisePets

The yurts look smaller than yours and not quite so nice looking. The price is similar to what you are thinking of.
Wow, that looks way too similar to be a coincidence. I've shared pictures of mine on reddit before so maybe that's where they got the idea.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I mean, it could also just be that yurts exist in the world, and people who make things and love cats also exist in the world...

More than one person can have the same idea separately. It does sting tho, for sure.

But stay classy and just focus on making yours high quality, and for a high end market. :)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's really cool. I agree it needs a matching floor mat. It's worth a try, selling them and see how they do.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The holidays are coming up so make a few and see how well they sell :) Maybe @Anne would consider one of your yurts as a prize for a future contest.

More than one person can have the same idea separately. It does sting tho, for sure.

Like pet teepees. Etsy has numerous sellers with pet teepees and they're pretty much all the same. Many other web sites sell pet teepees, too.

But stay classy and just focus on making yours high quality, and for a high end market. :)
:yeah: I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount for a high quality handmade item.

thoughtfulocean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies! I guess I will try to put a couple together and either put up a quick website or try Etsy and see how it goes.