• None

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Which pets do you have other than cats? Use the poll to let us know what barks, chirps, squeaks or just quietly slithers or swims around your place. View media item 217164We're focusing on multi-species households this month. You can read about it (along with a wrap-up of last month's articles) here

Feel free to add pictures to this thread as well as stories of how your kitties interact with their non-feline buddies!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 dogs.  50lb 5yo mix who mostly can care less about the cats and 35lb 2 yo pit mix who wants to play with any cat even when it hisses at her.  She is VERY social with dogs but can no longer go to the park due to an injury and wants a friend. 

meownpurrher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two Ball Pythons in the home as well as our cats. They are only a few years old and not yet full grown.

They stay in the office/spare room, so the cats do get to watch them in their tanks for a few hours each day.

The cats LOVE when it's time to spray the tank (because these kitties love water!), and it helps that both of our ball pythons actually come out of their hides when we spray the tanks. 

They have only 'interacted' a few times, always supervised and not an exciting play date since the snakes remain coiled around our arms and the cats usually stare from a distance.
The snakes realize the cats are far too big to be food (just like us humans) but I fear the cats would be a little more rough than I'd ever be content with, so we prefer never to find out haha.

They do love to watch the snakes climb and move around their tanks, and the snakes couldn't care less. Half the time they don't even notice the cats (or us for that matter) and the rest of the time they assume they are going to be 'let out' so they push up against their tank doors, waiting for a chance to escape haha!

These are older photos, we've since upgraded the female pythons tank (top).

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three small parrots here!

If I had the time and money, I would love to have something like chinchillas or ferrets. I miss having hamsters too, and I've wanted a freshwater fish tank for a long time, but I just can't justify it when I have next to no time to spend with them all! :( I want a dog too, but that's a whole other story - the fellow human has admitted he would not take it downstairs to go out for potty or walks when I'm not home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Wow, such a wonderful variety! I have this theory that every cat lover is an all-animal lover. Sounds very simplistic, I know. What I mean is that there are people who consider themselves dog lovers, or bird lovers, yet literally hate cats. I have yet to see a cat lover saying they hate any other kind of animal.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
While I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate any other animal, I will say that there are some animals I am just not really interested in keeping as pets.

It's kinda like kids; I like 'em fine, as long as they're someone else's.  Birds, rodents, reptiles, and arachnid-types, fit into that category for me.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think any responsible pet owner is an overall animal lover who just goes looking for the specific things a certain pet can offer them. Just using this forum's population as an example, a lot of people are very concerned about health and nutrition - that's not a cat-lover-specific trait, but I consider it more of a nurturing trait. If you can nurture one creature, you can probably nurture many others but "cats are ____ to me" or "cats can offer/give me ____" whereas maybe "dogs/small mammals/exotics are a bit too _____ for my life right now". Fill in the blanks how you will. Lots of caring and good people with big open hearts. :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

While I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate any other animal, I will say that there are some animals I am just not really interested in keeping as pets.

It's kinda like kids; I like 'em fine, as long as they're someone else's.  Birds, rodents, reptiles, and arachnid-types, fit into that category for me.
I'm with you there. I love animals but wouldn't want to keep most as pets. What I was referring to is the way some people say they love a particular type of animal, dogs and birds come to mind as the most prominent example, yet also say they hate cats (often with a passion 
 ). I have yet to see someone who defines herself/himself as a cat lover move on to say "I absolutely loath dogs". Frightened of dogs, maybe, but not hating them in the same way some people seem to hate cats.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My ex husband? You want a picture?
He would count only if he's still part of your household 

Speaking of pictures, I'm sure everyone can guess by now what the theme for this month's Picture of  the Month Contest will be 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you there. I love animals but wouldn't want to keep most as pets. What I was referring to is the way some people say they love a particular type of animal, dogs and birds come to mind as the most prominent example, yet also say they hate cats (often with a passion :(  ). I have yet to see someone who defines herself/himself as a cat lover move on to say "I absolutely loath dogs". Frightened of dogs, maybe, but not hating them in the same way some people seem to hate cats.
He would count only if he's still part of your household :lol3:

Speaking of pictures, I'm sure everyone can guess by now what the theme for this month's Picture of  the Month Contest will be :pix:   
I'm afraid to say he is.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid I wanted to be a vet and had almost every animal I could, cats, a dog, mice, lizards. fish, pigeons, racoons, skunks, snakes, horned toads, tarantulas, turtles, a pony and even two baby bats. And a LOT more, it's just too many to list! Now that I think about it, I must have drove my parents crazy! (I do remember her screaming when she found my stash of mealy worms I had inn my drawer to feed my lizards!)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

..... I must have drove my parents crazy! (I do remember her screaming when she found my stash of mealy worms I had inn my drawer to feed my lizards!)
Eeeeew! 

Good collection!  Did you ever charge friends and family entry fees like you had a mini zoo?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I had to pet sit my friend's chameleon and bearded dragons over the years. Those meal worms (and silk and wax worms) give me the shivers! I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking they could creep out and crawl all over my room. *SHUDDER*

I wanted to be a vet too, but my parents were so firm. I totally grew out of that when I realized I'd never want to see animals in pain or deal with owners who didn't want to provide proper care. It's the human aspect I abhorred, lol.

Last edited: