Do You Give Bath To Your Indoor Only Fur Friend?

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, at least with my long hairs, the coat starts to get a little greasy if not bathed. I think the long fur is beautiful and I know Oliver was proud of his long coat. He would knead the air when I had him on his back to comb his belly. Getting one of these extreme cats is a responsibility we take on and we cannot slack or the cat suffers. Matts are painful and they can cause health issues as well if left in the coat. They tighten as the coat moves and cause sores. Plus the skin does not breathe. So, never take on one of these cats unless you are sure you will stick with the program. The cat gets used to the daily routine and it makes the bond even stronger.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I pick up Theo and carry him to the kitchen sink and set him in the sink. He sits while I wet him, lather, and rinse. He never has cried. The blow dryer is where he gets agitated and I have to hold on. I talk calmly to him the whole time. He sleeps much of the day after but is just fine in now time a nd rarin' to go again.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No. Cats hate water, and there's no reason to bathe them. They will start shedding in a few weeks, so get a flea comb and start combing them to get the loose fur off.
not a flea comb. I use a stainless steel "Greyhound" comb. And, no, cats do not all hate water. I have not had one yet. But, then again, I buy show quality cats (Persian & Himilayan) from breeders who bathe them and comb them every day. I continue the regiment. It is more work but, the payoffs are a big plus. They are more like a dog in some ways.

They are a bit more expensive but last for years. I bought mine in 1981 so I did not pay as much. I have a smaller copy of this comb and the breeder gave me a black copy of the original Greyhound comb. So, I have 3 as well as 2 flea combs. I NEVER use a brush on them!
'Greyhound Vintage' 20 x 3.5cm 7.875 x 1.375 - $38.00 :: Ashley Craig Pet Products, Inc - Original Greyhound Combs

Last edited:

Nursemike3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat never bathes herself. She does not even lick her paws to wash her face. She gets a bath once a month or so. It makes her fluffy and she doesn't stink up the whole apt so bad. The cat in the picture cleans herself but she gets dandruff so she gets brushed every day, but I do wash her from time to time. Tough if they don't like it. Poop and pee on their fur attracts pests.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is my arsenal of weapons to tackle his coat. The small one is a good one. The top two are Greyhound combs 7.5 inches long. The flea comb is good for cleaning his fur around his eyes.