Do You De-Claw Your Cat?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 19 cats, and none of them are or will ever be declawed. We do consider it to be very cruel!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO! And this board is very anti-declaw!

georgiagirl8

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do not declaw your cats. It is cruel and it also hurts them. Plus, if the cat ever gets outside he or she can't defend itself or climb.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, positively, definitely NO! NEVER!!!

3 of our cats are declawed, only because they already were so before we adopted them.

Declawing is the equivalent of cutting off a human's fingers and/or toes. Not a pleasant thought, is it?

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the word de-claw! It makes me sick! I would never, ever de-claw my cats. I clip their nails weekly. When they were kittens, I taught them not to scratch or bite human hands. To them, my hand is god!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never declaw a cat. Peaches had a front declaw but it was done by her first family. Hmm! I think she's better off with ME!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Mom of 10 Cats
Declawing is the equivalent of cutting off a human's fingers and/or toes. Not a pleasant thought, is it?
Not just cutting them off but PULLING them off. Pretty sick, huh?

tarav

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok don't hate me, I have had one cat declawed about 3 months ago, but that was before I realized what declawing actually is, I just got a kitten 5 weeks ago and she will never be declawed, although my husband thinks that she is going to be, I am putting my foot down!

salemsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tarav,

I've been fortunate to have the situation where, even if I would like to ((declaw that is))I wouldn't because I lost one of my baby's to the surgery. She was 10 months old, and my boyfriend (at the time) took her to get declawed without me knowing. ever since then I haven't even thought about doing that with any of my furbabys... not to mention I diched the BF.

Declawing is the ultimate in the human perception of the need to control. If they cannot force the cat not to claw, they will take the claws away, showing the great power man has over the tiny creatures called Animals.

It makes me sick..

~ Salem

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work in a vet clinic and witnessed many declaw surgeries (mutilations!). They gave me nightmares...I would never do that to my babies, and always tried to talk people out of doing it to theirs, suggesting alternatives like training and/or softpaws.

Before my recent wedding, my cats were a point of contention - I had old furniture and never bothered to train them not to scratch. When my husband & I moved in together after the wedding, I put softpaws on all the cats & will leave them on until they learn not to scratch the furniture. Problem solved, relationship saved!

G

ghostuser

How to say “NO†in about 520 different languages.....

Ôda/K'amaj/C'am/N...taj/Tsaa/Haw/Hawaa/Maley/Nee/Geen/Gai/Ci/Mah
nguh/Indi/Ãnkobi/Jo/Ne/Jok/Yelem/Aydelem/Aye/Ie/Cuwa/Ti/Na/Dah/Ma/Lay/
Laa/La/Lela/Jo/Jo/Maiçá/Voch/Che/Nu/DaabÃ:censor:/Ma/La/Non/Nun/Iyat/Mam/Ba/
WÃ:censor:n/Ahq áho/Aqa/Janiwa/Janiw/Jani/Janixay/Janixä/Gatu/Yox/Sinalubiri/
Ahah/Nangwa/Enna/Ayi/Hais/Katai/Kutai/Yok/Ez/Daong/Ne/Nie/Awe/Na/Bobo/
Ni/No/Saa/Te/Ao/Ne/Hm/AwÃ:censor:je/Nann/Ket/Nope/Mu/Teo/Taawe/Ne/Momo/
Mahou'hpu/Mahou'pabu/Bee/Be/Bee ya/E/Ee/É'e/Dooyee/Kily/E/KÃ:censor:'i/Ma...ta/Maan/
Mhai/Nie'/No/Ô/Ahe'/Ãndi/Ná/Ohò'm/Haan-haan/Haa-ha'/Dac/Ka'c/Ka'cu/
Katcokma/Tla/V'-tla/Tla-hv/Hová'âháne/Iyayi/Iyaye/No/Halo/Wake/
ÃÃ:censor:i/Iyayi/Ani/Pepe/Keyu/Ahanh/Chikimba/Iksho/Mach/Ma'/Ma'anic/Ma/
Mach/Xá'ñÃ:censor:/HañÃ:censor:/Ma/Ohom/K'amu/Ma/K'amu/Ohóm/Sewilx/Amo/Se/Anictu/
Museil/Pwo/Chuk/Ohom/Nyi/Kai/Keka/Ko/TocusÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]/La/Vê/Nani/Kai/Kamu/Kepu/
Nageus/Na/Nagusy/Non/Innò/Kue/Akwi/Akwe/Ekwe/Elekic/Eka/Mwâc/Namôya/
Mola/Kus/Mónkos/Hekúst/Non/Ne/Sa/Su/DÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]ta/Ne/Ai/Nej/Kaha'/'Andooh/
'Awundooh/Noon/Umaaw/Aliu/Hani/Ohóm/A'ou /Nee/Neen/Yimba/Aa/
Kha-/Gadu/Daá/No/Nope/Uh-uh/Nut/Naw/Nah/No way/Na/Nese/Ne/
Me'tea/A'na/Maal/Ei/Ep/Es/Eiba/Eih/Õih/Ein/QuÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]ta/Aan/Aach/Aachin/Koa/
Koko/Aaha/Nei/Nah/Ne/Xai/Sega/Ei/Eo/A'a/Non/Nee/Nò/Ala/Jikai/WÃ:censor:/Xai/
Diyl yola/Non/Nenni/Nona/Nani/Gamil/Nedda/'Aa/'AaÃ:censor:/Nani/K'amu/Ão/Óhv/
Ahra/Ara/Nein/Nö/Nie/Naa/Nee/Nei/Naa/Na/Maya/Nau/Ochi/De'ngje/Nã'ã/
Ahaniri/Nahániri/NahiiN/Naa/Ma/Biway/Gurrangung/Aya/Mo/Me/Babu/A'a/
'A'ole/Lo/Desa/Nesats/Ji nahi/Nahin/Hye/Ji nahin/Naheen/Na/Tsis/Chúi muá/
Hina/M hai/M si an-ne/Msi/Bo/M tioh/Mmsi/Uhun/Qa'Ã[emoji]169[/emoji]/Gae'/K'ae'/Aè/Ib/Ngwüy/
Ngome/Ngo/Ka-/Nem/Nei/Ntondo/No/Saan/Haan/Ne/Tidak/ndak/nggak/
kagak/Jangan/Belum/Bukan/Aa/Maawaach/No/Non/Naaga/Naamik/Aagaa/
Aakka/Naagga/Naaka/Naamik/NÃ:censor: hea/No/Engga/Ma'/Omba/'A/Na/Ani/Ye'/
Mach/Isha/Iie/Nne/Iya/Yanda/Ingeno/Mboten/Ora/Sanes/NannÃ[emoji]174[/emoji]n/Kayon/
Nau/Ak/A'ou/Ahani/Ãni/Lawnga/Kuru/Ne/Moh/Mao/Mako/Uga/AnitÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]/K'amaq/
C'am/Beda/Illa/A a/Ali/Deeai/Jo/Ãni/Ei/Mwe Ã[emoji]169[/emoji]/Ne-keh/Ma/Aricne/Ka'ya/Lawnga/
Kètô/KiÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]p/-eÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]m/Zhoq/Ohom/Ink'a/Ma/Ink'a'/Chox/Te/Ot te/No/Moh/
Ingaaha/Vê/Aca/Tiguo/Aa/Oya/Acha/Jok/Oya/Yo/Hapana/A-a/?awa/Ãniko/Ni/
Bebe/Aga/Abu/Naa/Aniyo/Animnida/Ajo/Ajej/Moh/Non/Nomo/Wiya/Suli/
Pûuhara/Na/Ne/Neu/No/Mala/Mats/Gooran/Aaye/Ahawe/Ahowe/Man/Biduk/
No/Ãni/Mah hey/Ñi/Hiya/Shnee/Bo/Non/Nullus/Minime/Ne/Kapwa/Ku/
Mata/Kuta/U mayay/Ta hashi/Ta chich/Mahchikwi/Alalan/Ku kesi/Ku nkesi/
Ku ktakohchi/Ku ntakohchi/Okeksene/TÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]/No/Non/Ne/A'a/M'm/Äb/Ät/Äb/
No/Nee/Nee/Ne/Qay/Gai/Inehi/Ngaaha/Nangwa/Kwaha/Ooyo/XwÃ:censor:?/Kagute/Neen/
Nee/Lawnga/Ne/Ikai/Dele/Tsia/An, an/Tidak/Bukan/Le/Mi/Min/Ai/Yimba/
Waka/Aku/Bu shi zhe yang/Bu dui/Meiyou/Bu shi/Hani/Aat/Aita/Kao/
Kare/Mü/Nahi/Uke/Jaab/Mme/Nanga/Aepotá?a/A-a/Nole/Gâmu/Noo/
Pa miyeur/Mv [+ subject]/Maiv [+ subject]/M´i mái/Moqwa/Ao/Indak/Hë'ë/Apia/
Ewutû/Hama/Hella/Huma/Ken/'Ewyty'/'E'eh/Hela/Ewutu/Ka'p/Kiáp/Ka/
Ña d+u/Tú'/Túu/Ekshu/Q'ay/Nau/Hùe;'/Non/Ügüi/Bish/Karu/Gadu/Garu/
Ayo/Ma'/Aras/Ajaš/Aš/Amo/Hiya/Edi/Ana:/Achicha/Iòk/Deò ei/Dooda/
Ndaga'/Me waq/Hayi/Ya'ngo/Ahaa/Hoina/Chaina/Makhu/Jowandjan/Ã[emoji]8482[/emoji]ú/
Warrayi/No/Nei/Næi/Deai/ÃÃ:censor:/Àwâ/Ohò'm/Juat/Ni/Gaawesa/Kai/Ana/
Hon'-ka-zhi/On'ka-zhi/Nö/Næ/Noun/Mbu/Vuo/Vuol/Vuel/Ya'a/K'ami/Mwi/Pame/
Ning/Neng/Pia'a/Roba/AnÃ:censor:/Nãhã/Na/Nakhayr/Kotama/Konotiri/Ne/Iniani/
Hari'a/Ãni/Karu/M'khu/Ãmbe/Ãstarhu /Ãsi/No/Nomoa/Pia'a/Inte/Tesu/Tee/
Wiya/Eeno/Nau/Nee/Ma/Ntaj/Ntax/Ta/Maa/Ma...ta/Nie/Si'ai/Siei/Kui/Da'/
Caj/Não/Co/Non/Nani/Naheen/Nahi/Yaapw/Mmm/Yeehee/Manam/Mana/Manan/
Ama/Ma-/Man...taj/Mana/Ina/Kare/Haeñum´/Na/Na/Nu/Na/'Igka'i/'Igke'i/Nyet/
?ewe/Taj/Ãle/Ii/Ij/Ij/Tae/Täto to/Tahatna/MerÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]/Öhö/Leai/Kai/Ipo/WaÃ:censor:/No/Na/
Nde/Ee/Naw/Nae/Na/Mo/Aowa/Ne/Saate/Nou/Non/Tjhe/Tjhee/Aikona/Nyaa/
Õiõ/Ahha/Mecheye/Me sheki/Uh uh/Gè/Neh/Aiwa/Kwete/Kai/Atsa/Nuddu/Nessunu/
Baatili/Na/Ma/Natha/Qa/Ha/Nie/Ne/Do/Maya/Ayi/Ne/No/Tá/Heunteu/Sanes/
Ulah/Na/Noe/Nej/Ohom/Hindi po/Hindi/Aita/U'a/Wu'a/Ne/Nono/Kala-kala/Illai/
Venda/Baety/KÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]/Que/Quetasi/TásirapÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]/Tasi/TarapÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]/Akêa/Nay/Yuk/Boomi/Gom/
Umbae/Bae/Kaddu/Ledu/Maitague/Lae/La/Mai/Maidai/Maichai/Maioua/Maja/
Yo/Marey/Meyin/La'/Lala'/Ay/Tailpa/T'akwha/Klek/Tleix/Miyuc/Mi/Nogat/
'Ikai/HÃ:censor:-ekh/Nichuna/Gala/Te/To/Wik/Haic/Mbe'ae/Anhan/Ijji/Iddi/Mbaa/
Naani/Naanikwaw/Naani-mia/Hayir/Yok/Chok/DaabÃ:censor:/Ju'uk/Ma'yuk/I'i/Mo'oj/
Mu/Muc/Ma/Maan/Övöl/Ni/Ana/Nahin/NehiiN/Anin/Ta'/Kach/Ka-/Jyok/Yaq/
Yuk/Yöq/No/Ei/Không/Thua không/Awigi/Dili/Tifale/Ei/EB/Ep/Wihya/Mi/Neis/
Aye/Wandi/Lawa/Walku/Wangaay/Ès/A/Aitsa/Wayil/Ohòm/Na/Naddo/Nage/
Nagoes/Nac ydw/Ya'a/El-eh-oh/Min/Mina/Wirraay/Kia/Ohom/Deedeet/
K'amu/Anrê/Ñiá/Hayi/Nne/Ngava/É'e/K'amu/Ohom/Nit/Neyn/Anhan/K'ami/
K'amu/K'amu /Ohom/Rara/Oti/BÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]è kó/Ma'/Maa/Yahq/Tan/Mi-tang-keh/No/Ganga/
Que/Ka'á/Ko'/Akti/Bi/Bito/Cabi/Abi/Bi/Bibi/Bitw/Cabi/Bow/Ejxe/Watkáh/
Ja'ne/Cha/Tsha/Haai ngeko/Ella/

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I raise Persian cats and have it in my contract that they are not to de-claw my kitties. If they do they must forfiet the kitten and pay a $1000.00 fine to a no-kill shelter in their area.
If they sign a contract, they must follow it to the letter. I was told to include consiquences for the court to enforse. This was the best thing I oculd come up with.

mandoplayer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I do not declaw my cats, I do have some who are declawed but thats what you get when you rescue. These people declaw their cats, then the cat begins to urinate on the carpet or any number of other problems, then they bring them to me. Poor babies, they never asked to be declawed, I did have one who was declawed by a monster of a vet, he cut off 5 WHOLE toes, three on the left front paw and 2 on the right front paw, he did a better job on the back. Normally a vet only amputates the first diget not the whole darn thing

Originally posted by DragonLady
I raise Persian cats and have it in my contract that they are not to de-claw my kitties. If they do they must forfiet the kitten and pay a $1000.00 fine to a no-kill shelter in their area.
If they sign a contract, they must follow it to the letter. I was told to include consiquences for the court to enforse. This was the best thing I oculd come up with.
That is an excellent idea, I plan on raising kittens next year sometime (after 5 years of research and showing) and have heard horror stories of people letting cats out, declawing them, ect. I dont want that to happen to any of my babies. Putting the punishment in writing and making the new owner sign it is a great idea.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have claws for a reason. God gave them claws, he wouldn't give them claws if he didn't think they needed them.

I have never had a cat de-clawed and I never will.

Has any one had a cat de-voiced?

G

ghostuser

NEVER EVER! NOT EVEN MINI! Which is saying something because Mini couldn't scratch as bad when she was declawed, now could she? I would never have her declawed though. I hate declawing. It involves something though I can't remember what.
I hate declawing tough most shelters do it. I thought shelters were supposed to help cats. Not cause them pain? Declawing is very painful.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a dog once that was de-barked, but she came that way. I would never do an unnecesarry surgery to a cat. Feet and voice can stay they way God made them.