Do you brush your cats' teeth?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering - how do you take care of your cats teeth? I have been trying to take care of Bugsy's with Biotene Antiseptic Oralgel (from the vet) for a couple of weeks, then start him on Pet Gel, but God, it is TOUGH! it traumatizes him! He is a tough boy, my Bugsy!
What about your cats - do they let you clean their teeth? Do you do it? Suggestions?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't brush because they eat bones and chunks of meat.

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to start brushing my babies' teeth soon. I'm trying to work out which method is the most beneficial and cost effective.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried the whole brushing teeth thing with Harvey but could never find a brush/paste combo that he would tolerate and seemed to work well. Couldn't find a tiny enough toothbrush and the little finger brushes he would just think was a game and chew on.

I do however put OraVet on their teeth every 2-4 wks. Harvey and Danny being the 2 wks and Luke being once a month because he hates it so much and it's a big time two person job.

Luke is coming up on 3 and he'll probably get a dental within the year. His teeth aren't bad at all but I'd much rather do it before they get bad. Especially since I'll be the one actually doing his dental,
. Saves me time and my back some pain if I do it before they're really in need.

Harvey and Danny both just turned 1 last month so it's several years before they need serious teeth care.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is the thing to do but I just don't want to. So far their teeth look good. Rockos teeth have even improved since I got him my vet told me....who knows why?

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't brush my cats teeth, they look ok, they eat Go Cat indoor kitty food which has something in it to help with keeping the teeth clean, gosh I don't know if I would like to try and attempt brushing them
x

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not allowed to, I'd be dead if I tried. I've tried some of the water additive for dental health type stuff - IMO it didn't work enough to justify the expense.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I voted brush regularly, but it's only for Spooky. The others have had no problems with their teeth, and we just get them cleaned every year. Spooky does NOT chew ANY food, and she has a horrible problem with plaque ALL the time. Fortunately, she LOVES being brushed, so she just sees having her teeth brushed as another form of brushing.
We don't bother with paste, the vet said it doesn't really change much. Spook has to go for a dental every 6 months, and though she's only 7, she's had four (five?) teeth pulled already.
She'll probably be toothless by the time she's 11 or 12.

We also put the plaque remover additive in the distilled water.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started with brushing about 10 years ago then switched to the pet gel a few years back. None of my three is crazy about having their gums rubbed with the gel, but they tolerate it.

luci_sushi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try to bush. Right now I'm using Petzlife Gel & Suzie's Tartar Liquid.

I brushed Luci (7yo) teeth every other day until I got lazy. I need to start brushing his teeth again.

Sushi's(7months) breath smells really bad and I need him to get used to brushing. I see food stuck in his teeth because his adult teeth aren't fully in and the gums are still weird from the baby teeth.

Sully(1yo) doesn't like to get his teeth brush but he really hates the Petzlife gel. He has some tartar on his teeth that I'm trying to get rid of.

jsmla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't even imagine trying to brush Iggy's teeth! When he doesn't like something he's like a puma. It took two of us wearing gloves just to get hime into the carrier last week. The vet said his teeth are fine, thank goodness.

Jennifer