Do You Add Fiber To Your Homemade Food?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We really don’t know why cats eat grass. If it was for fiber they wouldn’t throw it up. :)
Depends on the situation, specter typically barfs yard grass; but oat grass is digested completely by her & I've never seen a cat barf up oat grass; or wheat grass. Specter though and a few other cat's I've looked after have digested yard grass as well, but that's rare. Catgrasses like oat and wheat; I've never seen it be rejected. For specter, it makes her poop. Plain and simple; so if she's stocked up; that does the trick.

Will add though that there is a difference between a cat eating grass to just eat it or for the sole purpose of vomiting. Mostly, if they're trying to barf, they seem to not stop eating it UNTIL there's a barf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the situation, specter typically barfs yard grass; but oat grass is digested completely by her & I've never seen a cat barf up oat grass; or wheat grass. Specter though and a few other cat's I've looked after have digested yard grass as well, but that's rare. Catgrasses like oat and wheat; I've never seen it be rejected. For specter, it makes her poop. Plain and simple; so if she's stocked up; that does the trick.

Will add though that there is a difference between a cat eating grass to just eat it or for the sole purpose of vomiting. Mostly, if they're trying to barf, they seem to not stop eating it UNTIL there's a barf.

I still don't think we know why they do it or whether it has any benefit for them. It could actually be a rather pointless act.

For example, someone mentioned in a different thread that their cats like to eat mushrooms. This led me on a search to find out why, and I found some research showing that cats can taste "umami" and are actually drawn to foods with this taste, not because it has any health benefits for them but because they are on the hunt for protein and the umami smell tickles their protein instincts.

This is all to say that it could be a similar explanation with grass - like the mushrooms, it could serve little or no purpose whatsoever.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I incorporate 2-3% pumpkin into my cats homemade food (turkey). There is also some pumpkin in the canned (boxed) S@C that i feed. And some fenugreek seed in the Rawz turkey that I feed.