Do these look like purebred himalayans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as I said I will NOT pay over 500$ for a CAT, that's the most ridiculous thing anyone could do IMO, added to the fact that I am not going out of state just to get a cat either
Your logic is very odd. Not willing to pay $500 for a cat, but more than happy to be prepared to spend thousands into vet visits which may occur as the kitten's parents clearly haven't been tested. Oh, right, it's your friend who's going to have to deal with the vet bills (starting from the basics) so you're all good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your logic is very odd. Not willing to pay $500 for a cat, but more than happy to be prepared to spend thousands into vet visits which may occur as the kitten's parents clearly haven't been tested. Oh, right, it's your friend who's going to have to deal with the vet bills (starting from the basics) so you're all good.
exactly, and besides, just because you SAY the cat will be sick, doesn't mean it will, you see.

so let's think about this for a moment, shall we? paying 100$ for a PET cat who's chances of being severely ill, if at all, realistically is only about, say 50% compared to paying up to 600$ for a PET quaility cat from a breeder, and having the chances of it also turning up ill are once again, about 50%

having to MAYBE pay vet bills on a cat that only costs 100$ vs having to MAYBE pay vet bills on a cat that would cost me 600$? which one is the more logic choice, eh?

not everyone HAS the money to spend that much on a cat, not everyone WANTS to do so, if I HAD a ton of money I would not be using it to buy "fancy" cats when there are just as many good cats needing homes from "BYB"s

it's the same logic when it comes to buying a car, you see. you could go to a dealer and paying the outrageous prices most dealers want on a brand new straight out of the factory car and have it for a few years and all of a sudden *poof*  something goes wrong, and you end up spending half what you payed for the thing to get it fixed, OR you can go and get an old rusted up clunker from a private home, it may not run the best (as in the case with my car) but it lasts for years and years with not a single problem.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so let's think about this for a moment, shall we? paying 100$ for a PET cat who's chances of being severely ill, if at all, realistically is only about, say 50% compared to paying up to 600$ for a PET quaility cat from a breeder, and having the chances of it also turning up ill are once again, about 50%
Where are you getting your stats from?

You cannot compare an untested, poorly bred cat to a well bred, health guaranteed kitten from a registered breeder. 
not everyone HAS the money to spend that much on a cat, not everyone WANTS to do so
And that's what shelters or rescues are for. Those who want a cat of no particular breed.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two words of advice:  pet insurance. 

If your friend is rich enough to be able to afford vet bills, then she is 'rich' enough to buy pet insurance.  In this case, get the best (read: most expensive) kind available, with NO pre-existing illness clauses, or 'breed specific' exclusions, no deductible.  Friend may have to get a DNA testing on the cat to prove/disprove the cat is pre-disposed to certain breed-specific illnesses, like PKD. 

PS:  I bought my car from a co-worker, a private sale.  Worst. Car.  Ever.

PPS:  There are pure bred cats in shelters and cat sanctuary.  A ragdoll cat was dropped off at a Petco and was transferred to the cat sanctuary where I volunteer (since adopted out quickly to a furever home).  It happens.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two words of advice:  pet insurance. 

If your friend is rich enough to be able to afford vet bills, then she is 'rich' enough to buy pet insurance.  In this case, get the best (read: most expensive) kind available, with NO pre-existing illness clauses, or 'breed specific' exclusions, no deductible.  Friend may have to get a DNA testing on the cat to prove/disprove the cat is pre-disposed to certain breed-specific illnesses, like PKD. 

PS:  I bought my car from a co-worker, a private sale.  Worst. Car.  Ever.

PPS:  There are pure bred cats in shelters and cat sanctuary.  A ragdoll cat was dropped off at a Petco and was transferred to the cat sanctuary where I volunteer (since adopted out quickly to a furever home).  It happens.
The heck is pet insurance? don't even have insurance! it's JUST a cat! I granted I love my cats I would do anything for my cats, and as some of you know I recently spent 1,200$ on one of my cats inbetween two vet visits, but  if they get sick and there's nothing I or a vet can do and they die, they die, such is nature.

on the subject of cars, I got mine from a friend 5 years ago, it takes forever to start, the gas gauge doesn't work it only gets like 5 miles per gallon xD but it's still chugging along, compared to my dads brand new truck that's been in and out of the shop over a dozen times in 3 years LOL
Where are you getting your stats from?

You cannot compare an untested, poorly bred cat to a well bred, health guaranteed kitten from a registered breeder. 

And that's what shelters or rescues are for. Those who want a cat of no particular breed.
 Oy, Oh mo dhia -_- Ni ga duit e a fhail

just stop, seriously. I am amazed as always at the attitude on this forum towards certain things. you make something as simple as getting a KITTEN seem like a democratic freaking speech or something. I know one thing, you CANNOT garuntee the health of an animal, testing or not, it's as simple as that, if you could then explain to me why the people I know who have wasted money on cats from good breeders have had cats who have gotten sick and had to be put down.

like the person I knew who spent over 900$ on a siamese kitten and it constantly got URI's and ear infections and ended of deaf, or the couple people I've known with ragdolls with hip problems?

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know one thing, you CANNOT garuntee the health of an animal, testing or not, it's as simple as that
I guarantee mine, as do other breeders I know

I really don't know why you bother asking for opinions, you don't want anyone to reply against you so there's no point

Last edited:

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fail to see why you can't take your $100 and go through a breed rescue as many persians of many colors/types end up in these rescues simply because the persian is very popular.

$100 is about right for an adoption fee in most areas.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
URIs and ear infections sound like a problem with the care the cat was receiving; rag dolls are prone to hip problems and a good breeder would be aware of that.

The part I don't understand is this:
I just would rather not spend 100$ I really don't have on a mixed breed, when you can get mixed breeds much cheaper.
And:
Originally Posted by Gibbly  

<snip>

I am not paying 100$ for a mixed breed
People spoke up and said the cats in questions are, in all probability, mixed breed. So you are willing to spend $100 on a mixed breed cat after all?

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fail to see why you can't take your $100 and go through a breed rescue as many persians of many colors/types end up in these rescues simply because the persian is very popular.

$100 is about right for an adoption fee in most areas.

because there is nothing like that around here, THAT'S why.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The adoption fee at the shelter I got my cats was $150 - of course, they always have "specials".

They were in perfect health, already spayed, micro-chipped and had their kitten vaccines.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really not trying to be antagonistic, but regarding breeders who guarantee the health of their kittens, that means that if the kitten dies as a result of hereditary or congenital defects, the breeder will replace it with another kitten, no charge. Details would vary according to the breeder, but the point is that they have a vested interest in making sure their cats are as healthy as possible.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gibbly  

even though spending 100$ on a mixed breed cat doesn't sit well with me, I will do it for my friend.
Reread the thread & found this sentence. Now I understand better your change in thinking. Your friend must mean a lot to you.

That said, (and I'm not saying this to try to change your mind) people have raised legitimate concerns about buying cats from a BYB. We know it's your decision to make. But we raised those concerns to help you make an informed decision, not one that's based only on how soon a birthday is coming up or how "convenient" those particular kittens are. Again, I'm not saying any of this to convince you of anything; just explaining why your thread got the posts that it did.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the picture of the "father" was pulled from a Wiki page from 2007:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Himalayan_cat_percy.jpg

it would appear there's something a little fishy somewhere.
On several other webpages too

http://www.directoryofcats.com/himalayan_cat.htm

http://dogandcat1.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/specifically-type-of-cats-himalayan-cat.html

The chocolate point is apparently lost, poor cat requires heart medication too. And resides in Australia

http://centralcoast.olx.com.au/lost-himalayan-cat-chocolate-point-cat-iid-370523781

Last edited:

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since the picture of the "father" was pulled from a Wiki page from 2007:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Himalayan_cat_percy.jpg

it would appear there's something a little fishy somewhere.
I actually saw this a bit ago, I did email her asking her about it and

"I'm sorry, I should have explained a bit farther, the picture I sent you was not actually of the kittens father, but rather what he looks like as I do not have any good pictures of him himself"

is the reply I got o3o, she's been totally chill about it all, I told her I would give her my answer by next Wedsnday and she's been fine with it, not trying to push the issue any.
Reread the thread & found this sentence. Now I understand better your change in thinking. Your friend must mean a lot to you.

That said, (and I'm not saying this to try to change your mind) people have raised legitimate concerns about buying cats from a BYB. We know it's your decision to make. But we raised those concerns to help you make an informed decision, not one that's based only on how soon a birthday is coming up or how "convenient" those particular kittens are. Again, I'm not saying any of this to convince you of anything; just explaining why your thread got the posts that it did.
She does, we grew up together, having known one another since we..well, since I was 3, her being almost two years older than me. We've been through thick and thin together (a lot of thin over the years due to personal choices she has made, but like I said, that's on a personal note)

it's not about the kittens being convenient, though they are in my town which was a plus, and it wasn't about her birthday, it was me who wanted to get her one around her birthday, we don't see each other as often as I'd like anymore, and provided she doesn't skip out on me, she will be coming by the house so we can go out to dinner just as we have for years for her birthday, after I have no idea when I will see her again.

I understand that SOME BYBers can be a bad thing, particularly mill type situations, ran into that problem when I was looking into getting a puppy last year, a lady had some rottwieler puppies but upon arriving at the home, I found that all of her dogs were skinny and many of them were very aggressive (she had like 8 or 9 dogs) and ofcourse I reported the situation to the local shelter in that area, got the typical "we'll look into it" response and as far as I know they never did because the same lady was selling puppies again this spring.

But at the same time I personally (and again, this is MY personal opinion) see nothing wrong with getting a puppy or kitten from a personal home, I mean allowed to get pregnant or not, accidents will happen, I'll use my cat Emry for an example, her pregnancy was an accident, was it prevented? not exactly, after her getting out twice and me chasing her around for an hour, rhe THIRD time she got out (and by that time it was almost certain that she had mated atleast once) I just let her go. do I regret the kittens?  not at all. Was it a bad thing that they were born? no. Are they healthy? as little horses, these guys checked out 100% at the vets.

I got Finn from a lady who's cat had kittens, the ONLY problem I had was that the ladies elderly mother did smoke and I know how bad smoke can be for cats (and humans) the kittens were clean, in good wieght and friendly and having been to the vet Finn herself is 100% healthy, and the lady was genuinely hopeful about finding them all GOOD homes, infact she emails me every few weeks asking how Finn is doing.

I appreciate comments and people who would say "hey, maybe you should think about this" what I do NOT take kindly to is the incessant amount of bashing that goes on here about topics such as this, just because you don't support something, does not make it right to call someone out who does.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually saw this a bit ago, I did email her asking her about it and

"I'm sorry, I should have explained a bit farther, the picture I sent you was not actually of the kittens father, but rather what he looks like as I do not have any good pictures of him himself"
Oh of course, totally legit 

Care to explain the other pics being lifted?

Taken from the BYB sticky: [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]8. May be unwilling to show a buyer the entire litter or to introduce the sire and/or dam of the litter.[/color]

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/52744/accident-or-backyard-breeding

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Of course everyone with half a brain is against BYB's. From the forum rules : [/color][color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old.[/color]

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/239112/forum-rules

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]So to come onto this site, fully supportive of unregistered breeders is going against the very rules you agreed to upon signing up to this forum. [/color]

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really get around :)

l'm smelling a $100 cash grab. l'd run a mile - fast.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh of course, totally legit 

Care to explain the other pics being lifted?
maybe...MAYBE they are secretly rare breed of space kittehs from pluto..and no pictures can actually be taken of them because otherwise they will explode and cause world war 45?

I don't know woman, stop hasslin' me because you make me self combust!

unfortunately I have yet to find a cat forum in which it's members weren't, you know, how you say? complete and total nutcases

and besides I don't have half a brain, I lost most of it when I was married, (along with what was left of my fleeting bits of sanity and rational thinking)

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe...MAYBE they are secretly rare breed of space kittehs from pluto..and no pictures can actually be taken of them because otherwise they will explode and cause world war 45?
But, I thought they were Himalayans 
 Since that's what your friend is after I think she'll be rather upset with a "rare breed of space kitten from Pluto" 

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Check petfinder.com.  You punch in your postal code (or zip code) and it gives you a list of available cats in the area.  There's guaranteed to be a long-haired pointed cat needing a home somewhere and there's a good chance there's one within driving distance.    

I just have to say that I would never, ever, ever buy a cat from someone who wasn't a GOOD breeder.  

First and foremost, it's unethical.  There are so many more cats than homes for cats that the only justification for purposefully producing more cats is if they are healthy in every way and a breed is being preserved (some people think even this is unethical, but that's another story). 

Secondly, and more selfishly, you really get what you pay for.  People who thoughtlessly produce cats are either doing it for money or out of boredom.  They don't know what they're doing, they don't take any responsibility for the animals they produce, and they can't help you in any way other than to take your money.  If you're going to pay for something, get the best value.  Good breeders know about genetics, they've done health testing, they have enough experience to help you get the best match for your personality and lifestyle.  

I mean, sure, you might end up with a pet that's exactly what you were looking for and not have any problems.  You might also walk across the street in a blindfold and not get hit by a car.  Why would you, though?  Open your eyes.  Learn the facts and make the best decision.  

Status
Not open for further replies.