Do these look like purebred himalayans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not actually sure where this should go so if it does not belong here, feel free to move it to where it needs to go.

For a couple of years a friend of mine has been wanting a himalayan, or himalayan mixed kitty.

her birthday is coming up next week, and I came across these on my local craigslist, I have talked to the lady and she only wants 100$ for them, and claims they are purebred himis.

the mother supposedly being a chocolate point and the father being a blue point (I am actually waiting for her to email me pics of the parents) she said they don't have papers, which I don;t care about and neither does my friend.

admittedly we have not been getting along well lately (my friend and I) because of her new boyfriend and I am sucking up LOL. but that's a story for another time ha!

I just would rather not spend 100$ I really don't have on a mixed breed, when you can get mixed breeds much cheaper.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Byb's should not be supported

you need to ask if the parents are health tested. PKD and whatever Persian breeders test for

Better off getting a shelter cat rather than a byb bred kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Byb's should not be supported
you need to ask if the parents are health tested. PKD and whatever Persian breeders test for
Better off getting a shelter cat rather than a byb bred kitten
plan on it, thanks. but I am not paying 100$ for a mixed breed

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't look purebred to me. I wouldn't have guessed they're supposed to Persians if you hadn't mentioned it.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The lady mentioned that one of the parents has a flat face, the other has a "doll" face? I dunno.

I don't know anything about persians/himalayans except that my  godmother  had one when I was a kid and it was the meanest cat I had ever seen lol.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lady mentioned that one of the parents has a flat face, the other has a "doll" face? I dunno.
Run! The term "doll face" is something only BYBs use, and I'm probably speaking for all the breeders on this site when I say it has generally a very negative meaning to people who are into breeds and breeding in a serious and 'reputable' way.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wouldn't support backyard breeding.... Will your friend have the money to take care of a cat with potentially a ton of health issues? Because this happens quite often with badly bred purebreds. Let alone in a breed like Persians, which can have PKD and other serious diseases. Do not save your money there, not a good place to do so. It can be heartbreaking in the end.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's not so much worried about health issues, as she has the money to deal with anything that could pop up, what I am most worried about is getting cheated out of 100$ for a cat who isn't what the person says it is.

Here are the pictures of supposed parents that she sent me

she said that the kittens are older than in the pictures, about 11 weeks old now, and she claims that they have had their first shots.

top is supposed to be the mother, bottom is supposed to be the father

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're set on a Himi then find a good breeder and do it properly, otherwise get a pointed long hair domestic at a shelter - that way you'll have all vet work already done

Going through a registered breeder who provides papers is the only way not to pay for a breed that isn't

Having money for health issues really isn't
the issue, if people didn't buy these byb bred kittens they'd have to spay/neuter their pets instead as there'd be no market for the kittens

Last edited:

himis4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No! FIRST, Neither parent is a BLUE point! I've owned himis since the early 80s, and I am familiar with the term doll-faced it refers to the traditional longer nosed Persian/himilayan shaped face. I like the doll face better than the flat or peke face, which has health/grooming issues. Those kittens might be himi mixed or other similar long haired color pointed kittens like, rag dolls, Burmese, etc. Persians and himilayan kittens with have blue eyes but as Persians age their eyes turn color to copper or others BUT himilayans will stay blue their entire life. I had a flame-point (red point) himi-Siamese mix and he was beautiful and the Most loving and wonderful cat i've ever had. he was very healthy all his life until the last couple of months. When he was 13, he got cancer in his mouth, and we had to put him down. Our first set of Himi's were papered champion lines etc, traditional or doll faced and they were wonderful and we've had mixed himi- siamese, And persians over the years from breeders and non breeders. We've had several flame points a couple of blue point (my current one (14yrs old) I paid 100$ from the newspaper). I had a papered purebred flame point himi that died at 3 years old after emergency surgery for crystals in his urinary tract. So health issues can occur to any pet even with the best breeding.
. I have a pure bred beautiful torti-point I adopted from a breed rescue group, she was abused and not socialized well by the original owners, and it's taken awhile to teach her not to use her claws and swipe. My point is that the breed gives the basis for a docile pet but the nurturing and handling of the kittens really makes the cat's personality, plus each cat has their own personality regardless of breeding.
But looking at the adults, the father looks more Persian smoke colored but I'm confused by the grey or (blue) shading of the body with the seal or what really looks like black colored points and that's not a combination of himilayan pointed coloring I'm familiar with. The mother looks like a chocolate point. If you want to see some beautiful examples just look up some breeders online, they have lots of pictures. The color of the points will darken with age. If your friend doesn't mind a himi-mixed kitty then the price is about the same as what you'll pay in adoption fees. You will never find a professional breeder that will sell himilayans for only 100$. Most start at 500$ up to 2500$.
So a lot to think about, but good luck.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No! FIRST, Neither parent is a BLUE point! I've owned himis since the early 80s, and I am familiar with the term doll-faced it refers to the traditional longer nosed Persian/himilayan shaped face. I like the doll face better than the flat or peke face, which has health/grooming issues. Those kittens might be himi mixed or other similar long haired color pointed kittens like, rag dolls, Burmese, etc. Persians and himilayan kittens with have blue eyes but as Persians age their eyes turn color to copper or others BUT himilayans will stay blue their entire life. I had a flame-point (red point) himi-Siamese mix and he was beautiful and the Most loving and wonderful cat i've ever had. he was very healthy all his life until the last couple of months. When he was 13, he got cancer in his mouth, and we had to put him down. Our first set of Himi's were papered champion lines etc, traditional or doll faced and they were wonderful and we've had mixed himi- siamese, And persians over the years from breeders and non breeders. We've had several flame points a couple of blue point (my current one (14yrs old) I paid 100$ from the newspaper). I had a papered purebred flame point himi that died at 3 years old after emergency surgery for crystals in his urinary tract. So health issues can occur to any pet even with the best breeding.
. I have a pure bred beautiful torti-point I adopted from a breed rescue group, she was abused and not socialized well by the original owners, and it's taken awhile to teach her not to use her claws and swipe. My point is that the breed gives the basis for a docile pet but the nurturing and handling of the kittens really makes the cat's personality, plus each cat has their own personality regardless of breeding.
But looking at the adults, the father looks more Persian smoke colored but I'm confused by the grey or (blue) shading of the body with the seal or what really looks like black colored points and that's not a combination of himilayan pointed coloring I'm familiar with. The mother looks like a chocolate point. If you want to see some beautiful examples just look up some breeders online, they have lots of pictures. The color of the points will darken with age. If your friend doesn't mind a himi-mixed kitty then the price is about the same as what you'll pay in adoption fees. You will never find a professional breeder that will sell himilayans for only 100$. Most start at 500$ up to 2500$.
So a lot to think about, but good luck.
thank you, I think you have actually helped me out the most out of anyone who has posted.

let's also let it be known that while 100$ is barely within my "spending for leisure" budget at the moment, I can get by, where as, as Himis4ever said, 500$-2,500$ is NOT, I would never pay that much for a cat in the first place, if I wouldn't pay that much for a dog I sure as heck wouldn't DREAM of paying that much for a cat, it's why I haven't gotten myself a Munchkin or Bengal yet.

my friend doesn't want a cat for showing, she simply wants one because her last himi mix, Artemus died 8 years ago, and she finally wants to try another.

a couple of years ago she looked into getting one but due to certain things in her life, decided against it at that time, She and I have been talking about it for well over a year, ever since her last birthday when I promised her I would find her a himalayan kitten, she said she'd even be ok with another mix.

SO would it be a good idea to go ahead and pursue these kittens or not? they may not be purebred, but neither of us care (even if they are supposed to be) and even though spending 100$ on a mixed breed cat doesn't sit well with me, I will do it for my friend.

what EXACTLY are the risks? because them being unhealthy, which obviously in the pictures they do not look so.

Last edited by a moderator:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO would it be a good idea to go ahead and pursue these kittens or not?

what EXACTLY are the risks? because them being unhealthy, which obviously in the pictures they do not look so.
No it would not, as already explained. 

You cannot see PKD, FIV, FelV

If you can't afford the price of a properly bred kitten, then perhaps save up for a few more years, or go with a shelter cat - there are many pointed domestics available. 

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not so much worried about health issues, as she has the money to deal with anything that could pop up, what I am most worried about is getting cheated out of 100$ for a cat who isn't what the person says it is.
If she has enough money to deal with the health issues then she should have enough to get a pet-quality from a registered breeder.  I'd also suggest your first concern should not be getting cheated, but jointly encouraging BYBs (remember the price - if it looks to good to be true etc.) and landing your friend with a cat that might develop serious health issues. 

PKD stands for Polycystic Kidney Disease.  It's inherited, it used to be rife in some Persian lines until first ultrasound scanning (has to be a higher-frequency scanner than usual) and now gene testing came along.  It's a horrible disease and cats can develop CRF at any age from 3.  You can't tell by looking at a kitten if it's affected and of course if you ask the 'breeder' they will say they don't have a problem with it. 

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another thing to keep in mind, aside from whether or not your friend can pay for any health complications, is the question of if it's ethical to support breeders whose cats will be susceptible to known sicknesses. A person might be able to afford the cat, might be able to pay for expensive vet bills... but is it fair to the cats that have to live their lives with kidney disease or worse? The money that BYBs make from selling kittens encourages them to keep breeding cats for money, not for love of the breed and with interest in breeding healthy, strong cats by weeding out certain genetic lines. Would you want to give your hard earned money to someone producing illness-prone cats for profit? Especially considering that the cats are the ones that have to live with the consequences?

Do think about getting a cat from a shelter. Yes, those ones might have health issues too, but by adopting them you won't be supporting the breeding of more cats with unknown genetic issues and questionable health. It might take a while to find the right one, but in the long run it'll be worth it--for you, for your friend, and for the cats, too.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also it would be quite sad if the kitten ended up being sick, and the friend would have to go through the loss again. I had a situation like that where a friend had just lost her cat and I needed to rehome one of mine, so she took him, and a year later he was put to sleep. So she lost 2 cats in a short period of time, both cats were young (around 3 years). Obviously she was devastated. (Then a a homeless kitty found her so she didn't remain catless).

Last edited by a moderator:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know nothing about breeds (I rescued Ritz from the streets).  And I certainly don't support cheaters of any shape, size, etc.

But one of the biggest regrets I had was when I bought a used car from a co-worker.  Shame on me, I didn't get the car checked out before I bought the car.   I had nothing but problems -- and expenses -- with that car from day one.  Caused a lot of bitterness and hurt feelings.

NorthernGlow has a point--money aside, what hurt most was loss of friendship (or, in this case, a beloved pet).

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah yeah, health problems.

or it could turn out to be healthy.

as I said I will NOT pay over 500$ for a CAT, that's the most ridiculous thing anyone could do IMO, added to the fact that I am not going out of state just to get a cat either.

I think I will take my chances on a 100$ cat that will likely be the healthiest cat you've ever seen, sorry if that ruffles any feathers, but then again no I'm not. this post can be closed now, my final decision has been made.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No feathers ruffled here. You asked for opinions, opinions were given, you made your decision. Each one has to choose their own priorities, and you have chosen yours.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No feathers ruffled, can't expect a byb themselves to have ethics on not supporting another byb

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
true dat,yo! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.