Do Stray Or Feral Cats Grieve?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I"m such a worrywart. This is my first time with strays/feral cats so everything sets me into worry mode. As most of you know I have been trying to trap these 3 cats for TNR an shots (if not done already) so I can tame and adopt. And from my posts you can tell that Shaman (the calico) and Treasure (the tabby) are best of friends. Shaman disappeared 18 hours ago. Please assure me that she's probably hiding. If something did happen to her (whether taken by someone or sorry for thinking injured/killed) would Treasure be showing signs of grief? I'm running 3 cams from my phones watching the yard and no sign. Usually Shaman would have been here 3 hours ago. I"m so distraught as I am so close to earning her trust. We honestly think she and Treasure are spayed (maybe not by TNR) as here it's optional for ear tipping. So may have been spayed by owner but then dumped. Neither her or Treasure show male parts, hang around together, been in neighborhood for 3 years and no kittens during that time for either one or desire to mate. So just a bit confused. Also all 3 are deadly afraid of traps. I've tried stinky fish but none of them like fish (go figure) and no matter how much I cover the traps or camouflage they won't go anywhere near it. They seem very scared of confined spots, even with a entrance an exit.

Edited to add: Treasure showed up to eat and I saw Shadow in the distance (gggrrr wish they'd go in these traps) but Shaman never showed, although Treasure acted like nothing was wrong.

Also do groundhogs pose a threat? Normally Shaman lives in the bushes where the groundhog is and I've even seen them lay side by side before so I"m just grasping at straws here. One was here like 5 minutes before Treasure came to eat.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats can grieve. Scientific belief is that the emotional part of a cat brain is much like a human one. If a cat is grieving then try to offer it soft talk and extra attention. I know that’s harder with ferals but you may find it actullay makes the feral turn to you more. Sitting outside nearby when it feeds and talking to it can help. Give it a try.
A Groundhog might not be the aggressor but if threatened it has sharp claws and teeth. A cat isn’t likely to be happy about other critters being around. I don’t know how you would keep it away but feeding the cats up on a low table or something that is in a secure area might help. You could try being outside from the time you put the food down until the cats have eaten. Take up uneaten food before dark. Keep the dishes up as well except for water. Do you know if the Grounhog was after water, just passing through, etc,?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats can grieve. Scientific belief is that the emotional part of a cat brain is much like a human one. If a cat is grieving then try to offer it soft talk and extra attention. I know that’s harder with ferals but you may find it actullay makes the feral turn to you more. Sitting outside nearby when it feeds and talking to it can help. Give it a try.
A Groundhog might not be the aggressor but if threatened it has sharp claws and teeth. A cat isn’t likely to be happy about other critters being around. I don’t know how you would keep it away but feeding the cats up on a low table or something that is in a secure area might help. You could try being outside from the time you put the food down until the cats have eaten. Take up uneaten food before dark. Keep the dishes up as well except for water. Do you know if the Grounhog was after water, just passing through, etc,?

Ok so Treasure not grieving is a good sign? I really don't know if the groundhog was after food or not. I sit just inside the door working when I saw him/her on cam. Went to door and groundhog took off. 5 minutes later Treasure showed up to eat but didn't show signs of grieving or anything. I"m just confused why Shaman is gone. The guy who feeds her is out of town at the moment.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably Treasure knows her regular person is not around. They don’t like changes. Treasure is probably waiting for his return. If the cats are not spayed/neutered it could also be that they are dealing with cat hormones. Spaying and neutering is extremely important to do as it helps to keep them safe and healthy. They’ll be much more likely to stay close to home. When breeding time is around they are all at risk.
I expect Treasure is nearby. Probably watching from the bushes! The Grounhog May be keeping Teasure away as well. If you see it, just going outside might run it off. They can hurt or even kill a cat so Tresure May be afraid of it. Cats are smart. If they feel something is a threat they usually stay back. I will keep checking back in with you. Please keep us posted as to how things are going. Questions are welcomed here!
I love that you are watching out for these kitties! Bravo! :clap2::thanks:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably Treasure knows her regular person is not around. They don’t like changes. Treasure is probably waiting for his return. If the cats are not spayed/neutered it could also be that they are dealing with cat hormones. Spaying and neutering is extremely important to do as it helps to keep them safe and healthy. They’ll be much more likely to stay close to home. When breeding time is around they are all at risk.
I expect Treasure is nearby. Probably watching from the bushes! The Grounhog May be keeping Teasure away as well. If you see it, just going outside might run it off. They can hurt or even kill a cat so Tresure May be afraid of it. Cats are smart. If they feel something is a threat they usually stay back. I will keep checking back in with you. Please keep us posted as to how things are going. Questions are welcomed here!
I love that you are watching out for these kitties! Bravo! :clap2::thanks:

Hmm. I've been feeding these 3 for many months. Shaman and Treasure usually never leave each others side. I do think I feed them more than the guy up the street. Not sure though why Treasure came here today but Shaman didn't. As far as being spayed both of these are girls or no male parts, been in neighborhood for 3 years, no kittens or mating attempts from them and all 3 are very familiar and deathly afraid of traps which makes it hard for me.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman maybe is in heat. They often disappear for days to get mated. It is that time of the year! Just keep at it, I know it's hard when things go on that are out of your control, but thank goodness you are trying, and you will be blessed for helping these little ones!
We think that Shaman is spayed. Tipping ears in optional here in St. Louis and 3 years in area with no kittens or interest in mating makes me think she's been spayed (maybe not through TNR).

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So far Treasure has been here 3 times. I only catch Shadow leaving, she slinks in and out but 3 times for her as well. I've looked through the cam replays and no Shaman. Shaman is still missing. And like mentioned above I don't think she's in heat. Treasure shows no sign of distress or grief (over her best friend Shaman). In fact Treasure is sniffing the toys at the moment. I take the food outside at 7:30 am central and bring back inside at 6:30 pm central so no food is left outside. And the guy up the street isn't the regular feeder I am. H just sets outside maybe once a week.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry. I switched the names. Shaman is the one not showing up. There is every possibility Shaman is out because of a cat in heat. Have you tried go to the other house and calling for Shaman? Even if you don’t usually call for them you might catch some movement in the bushes or something if you disturb anyone. It’s no uncommon for cats to be gone for a time. Just keep looking and be patient. :alright: I know it’s got you worried but it’s probably just a cat being a cat. You can always ask around too. Maybe someone else has spotted Shaman or is feeding.
If the cats are trap shy they may have seen traps before. I’ve had some luck with using different types of traps. A drop trap could work. My best luck has been getting the cats used to me sitting near them while they eat and putting their food inside a fair sized carrier. At first the food is just inside the carrier. Then I start moving it to the back. Once the cats are comfortable with me being there and the carrier, I just wait until they are engrossed in eating and shut them in. It’s worked for me with all the trap shy cats. You should also cover any trap of carrier with a blanket. I have even disguised them with leaves and tree limbs. Anything to make the space seem more secure and camouflaged. I have also fed cats in a room that I could leave a door open to the outside. It takes a bit before they trust coming in but once they know the room is safe, I shut the door. You have to make sure they have somewhere in the room to go to as a safe spot but not be able to go behind things like Dryers, washing machines etc. a garage can work. A large cage can work outside too. I’ve used those before as well. A cat that does not trust closed spaces sees a cage as providing a more open look. You still have to be able to shut the door so sitting with them during meals is a good idea to get them very comfortable with your prescence. Talk to them too.
Getting them checked at a vet would be great. Immunizations are then possible along with checking for any problems and perhaps determine who has been spayed or neutered. Ferals can be socialized/tamed if you want to be able to work with them more easily. Not all will totally tame but they can learn to trust and some become completely used to and enjoy human company. Try not to worry too much about Shaman. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Ground hog, mating or some other disturbance has caused a temporary vanishing act. It happens all the time.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry. I switched the names. Shaman is the one not showing up. There is every possibility Shaman is out because of a cat in heat. Have you tried go to the other house and calling for Shaman? Even if you don’t usually call for them you might catch some movement in the bushes or something if you disturb anyone. It’s no uncommon for cats to be gone for a time. Just keep looking and be patient. :alright: I know it’s got you worried but it’s probably just a cat being a cat. You can always ask around too. Maybe someone else has spotted Shaman or is feeding.
If the cats are trap shy they may have seen traps before. I’ve had some luck with using different types of traps. A drop trap could work. My best luck has been getting the cats used to me sitting near them while they eat and putting their food inside a fair sized carrier. At first the food is just inside the carrier. Then I start moving it to the back. Once the cats are comfortable with me being there and the carrier, I just wait until they are engrossed in eating and shut them in. It’s worked for me with all the trap shy cats. You should also cover any trap of carrier with a blanket. I have even disguised them with leaves and tree limbs. Anything to make the space seem more secure and camouflaged. I have also fed cats in a room that I could leave a door open to the outside. It takes a bit before they trust coming in but once they know the room is safe, I shut the door. You have to make sure they have somewhere in the room to go to as a safe spot but not be able to go behind things like Dryers, washing machines etc. a garage can work. A large cage can work outside too. I’ve used those before as well. A cat that does not trust closed spaces sees a cage as providing a more open look. You still have to be able to shut the door so sitting with them during meals is a good idea to get them very comfortable with your prescence. Talk to them too.
Getting them checked at a vet would be great. Immunizations are then possible along with checking for any problems and perhaps determine who has been spayed or neutered. Ferals can be socialized/tamed if you want to be able to work with them more easily. Not all will totally tame but they can learn to trust and some become completely used to and enjoy human company. Try not to worry too much about Shaman. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Ground hog, mating or some other disturbance has caused a temporary vanishing act. It happens all the time.

Getting them inside at the moment is a no go until they're spayed/neutered or confirmed as such My very elderly mother is allergic to cats a I live with her. If she's spayed (which like I mentioned above no interest in before) I don't think she'd be in heat right now. We have tried all of these traps for 9 months and she avoids each one. She also won't eat right by me, so I'm at wits end with this. I love her and all but this is a very hard road with her.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok Treasure is starting to yowl for her and no response. I tried to call up and down the street and nothing. I'm fearing that something happened. So very heartbroken. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!

Sometimes cats just disappear for a few days. Who knows where they go. I once read a kids' story that said that all cats have to report to the mothership every now and then and that's why they disappear :D.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!

Sometimes cats just disappear for a few days. Who knows where they go. I once read a kids' story that said that all cats have to report to the mothership every now and then and that's why they disappear :D.

Shaman didn't come and eat but she did walk through the back yard so that's good enough for me to know she's ok. I just told Treasure to get Shaman so I can quit worrying, Treasure yowled, ran out of the yard and a few minutes later Shaman strolled through the back.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it! Cats are so smart! I figured Shaman was probably around. If Treasure is really in heat then Shaman may hide out a bit. I can tell you from past experience that if you make a habit of spending time just sitting around them, they’ll get so used to you being around that the bond of trust will strengthen. Obviously they already love you and have trust. Just reinforce that. Eventually they will allow you more freedom to work with them. One of the other new members here made a trap out of cardboard boxes. She had a cat that would NOT go in a trap. The box had a piece of board that she had put into a slit cut in the side of the box. When the cat went it she pulled it through. I don’t know if I can find her post but if I can I’ll send you a link to it. It was simple but very well thought out. Cats love cardboard boxes! If you decide to try and get her then you could try that. Have you tried any rescue groups in your area? They might be able to help to at least check for Spay and neuter. They may know other tricks to help you on site too. If you get babies there and they grow up to mate too..... lots of kitties. I can tell you really love those kitties. You just keep posting as things move along. Everyone here will do whatever they can to help you or answer any questions. I think you did great finding Shaman. Tell Treasure , thanks for helping! :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it! Cats are so smart! I figured Shaman was probably around. If Treasure is really in heat then Shaman may hide out a bit. I can tell you from past experience that if you make a habit of spending time just sitting around them, they’ll get so used to you being around that the bond of trust will strengthen. Obviously they already love you and have trust. Just reinforce that. Eventually they will allow you more freedom to work with them. One of the other new members here made a trap out of cardboard boxes. She had a cat that would NOT go in a trap. The box had a piece of board that she had put into a slit cut in the side of the box. When the cat went it she pulled it through. I don’t know if I can find her post but if I can I’ll send you a link to it. It was simple but very well thought out. Cats love cardboard boxes! If you decide to try and get her then you could try that. Have you tried any rescue groups in your area? They might be able to help to at least check for Spay and neuter. They may know other tricks to help you on site too. If you get babies there and they grow up to mate too..... lots of kitties. I can tell you really love those kitties. You just keep posting as things move along. Everyone here will do whatever they can to help you or answer any questions. I think you did great finding Shaman. Tell Treasure , thanks for helping! :)
I have sat outside anywhere from 10 feet and further from their food for past 6 months and none of them will venture near. Shaman will go to the food but I have to totally turn my back to them or "nap". Treasure doesn't. Once they finish eating they seem ok except no closer than 3 feet. I've even tried spraying catnip on my pants legs (sorry if that sounds silly) and no luck with Treasure especially with food and me being close. Maybe I need to step back a bit and start again? They know their names or what I call them. They seem to understand me when I say "Go get ....." or whatever. Am I maybe moving too fast?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Running after these cats today got me my steps for my stepbet challenge. haha

FarmersWife24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far Treasure has been here 3 times. I only catch Shadow leaving, she slinks in and out but 3 times for her as well. I've looked through the cam replays and no Shaman. Shaman is still missing. And like mentioned above I don't think she's in heat. Treasure shows no sign of distress or grief (over her best friend Shaman). In fact Treasure is sniffing the toys at the moment. I take the food outside at 7:30 am central and bring back inside at 6:30 pm central so no food is left outside. And the guy up the street isn't the regular feeder I am. H just sets outside maybe once a week.
Cats are quite stealthy. Just like another responder said, the cat could be near you but is choosing not to be seen. Even though you think there’s good reason to believe she is spayed, cats tend to go wherever the best “gig” is at the time. Yes, there are lots of terrible things that can happen but cats do like things their way. They can also be gone for quite awhile and just all of a sudden show up again. It will be interesting to see if she shows up when your neighbor returns.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are quite stealthy. Just like another responder said, the cat could be near you but is choosing not to be seen. Even though you think there’s good reason to believe she is spayed, cats tend to go wherever the best “gig” is at the time. Yes, there are lots of terrible things that can happen but cats do like things their way. They can also be gone for quite awhile and just all of a sudden show up again. It will be interesting to see if she shows up when your neighbor returns.
As I commented above she did return after I asked Treasure to get her. Neighbor returned btw but none of them bother with him now.

FarmersWife24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I've been feeding these 3 for many months. Shaman and Treasure usually never leave each others side. I do think I feed them more than the guy up the street. Not sure though why Treasure came here today but Shaman didn't. As far as being spayed both of these are girls or no male parts, been in neighborhood for 3 years, no kittens or mating attempts from them and all 3 are very familiar and deathly afraid of traps which makes it hard for me.
I read in a forum once to try canned oysters to lure the more resistant or trap-shy cats. It works. My own cats even went right into the trap a few times to get some, and they knew what would happen if they went in!