Do some alpha cats feel sympathy when another cat is injured?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some people believe we shouldn't liken human emotions onto animals. But I just thought it was interesting how my alpha cat has been acting. Normally Kitty gets annoyed if I give Elsa attention. If Elsa walks by her when we are playing she will slap her and chase her until Elsa ends up lying down exposing her stomach. But when I got Elsa home she kind of looked at her with her eyes bugged out and stayed away from her. She would watch her from a higher spot.

Yesterday we all played together and I got scared Kitty might try to go after her when Elsa joined us, but she never did. Even if Elsa walked by her she just left her alone.

I know animals are intelligent so I know she must realize that Elsa is injured (she had a tooth extracted and a mass from her neck removed.) I'm just wondering if she's avoiding hurting her, or if she's just staying away due to her smell being different after the procedure.

Just thought this was an interesting discussion and wanted to see how other alpha cats respond to a cat they live with being injured. I should clarify that my cat's aren't related. I got Kitty from the pound, and Elsa is a street cat that my mom took in.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She might be reacting to the smell of the vet. My Willow hates it when she can smell scary vet smells, she hisses at Tigger when Tigger smells of the vet.

She will comfort Tigger by licking her though, if Tigger is having a day when her bad leg is sore (due to cold weather)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be reacting to the smell of the vet. My Willow hates it when she can smell scary vet smells, she hisses at Tigger when Tigger smells of the vet.

She will comfort Tigger by licking her though, if Tigger is having a day when her bad leg is sore (due to cold weather)
Aww your cats sounds like they are close. :heartshape:

I've taken Elsa alone to the vet before and Kitty didn't act this way. So who knows?