Do Rescue Centres Restrict Adoption?

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My fiance and I should be moving into a new house in about early November and we would like to adopt a cat probably around Christmas time. I know that some rescues won't allow adoption of cats (especially black cats) around Halloween and I read somewhere that rescue centres are inundated with cats in January due to people thinking a cat would be a great present without fully understanding the responsibility. Do adoption centres restrict the adoption of cats around Christmas for this very reason and would we be expected to prove that except in extreme circumstances the cat would not be returned? My fiance and I have both owned cats before so are under no illusions about the cost and responsibility of caring for a cat. I have wanted another cat for very long time but have not lived in suitable area and it would be heartbreaking for me to finally go with the intention of bringing home a cat only to be told I can't have one. Also do all centres look up your location online. One rescue told my mum over the phone before she even visited that they wouldn't allow her to adopt a cat because she lives close to road, I understand that location is a factor as I said I would not have cat in my current location but my Mum lives in a tiny village that consists of 7 houses and a pub and the road is very quiet. She adopted two cats from somewhere else and they are very happy and the road is no trouble.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the shelter/rescue. Our shelter stops adoptions 2 - 3 weeks before Christmas. We also check out a home's location using Google maps (it can't be any closer than 150 meters from a street with through traffic) and do an on-site pre-adoption check.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you look for in your pre-adoption home check and what kind of things would give you reason to refuse an adoption? It appears rules have become stricter since I last adopted a cat. The first time I was 12 and my mums cat had died a few months previously, we saw a cat advertised in the local paper who lived just down the road so we went to meet him, we brought him home that evening and the lady just had a quick look around before leaving him with us. The next I was 16 and the cat lady took me all the way to Dulverton to get a kitten before even seeing the house, she may have just taken it as given cos we already had cat.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Basically we want to make sure the home is safe for a kitten/cat, i.e., that windows and balconies are secured, the adopters have room for litter boxes and food bowls, dangerous items aren't left lying around, and so on.