Do rainy days make your kitty sleepy?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am curious on something it started raining last night in WV where I live. It’s still raining today it’s like muggy outside today. During these type of days both Casper & Scooter do nothing but sleep all day. They will get up long enough to eat, drink water, & use their litter box. But then go right back to sleep. I know there is nothing wrong with either them I’m not worried or anything. I’m just curious if anyone one else have kitties that sleep a lot on rainy/muggy days?

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My outside cats do, there is nothing else! My inside cats sleep all day regardless, maybe you notice it more because you are having nothing to do! LOL

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't have to be rainy, just a day with no sun will be cause enough to be lethargic, depressed and make her sleep her day away. Today is such a day and she is pestering me until I let her go on the sun(less) porch and turn on her heat mat so she can sleep now that her tummy is full.
November and April are 2 months of sleeping and depression for my cat.

tomcat60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cheyenne sleeps all day and roams all night. Rain is o.k. but he is not to happy with thunder.......

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't have to be rainy, just a day with no sun will be cause enough to be lethargic, depressed and make her sleep her day away. Today is such a day and she is pestering me until I let her go on the sun(less) porch and turn on her heat mat so she can sleep now that her tummy is full.
November and April are 2 months of sleeping and depression for my cat.
Maybe she needs a SAD lamp. Idk if they work on cats but mine works on me.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Betty seemingly has seasonal depression. Although she's strictly indoors, she does seem to sleep more and eat less when the weather is gloomy and gray--my gray Garfield barometer. Her lunch is plated at noon and sometimes she just doesn't wake up for it before dinner. Other days, I'll pull the covers off her around 3:30 to encourage her to take at least one pass on lunch before dinner gets served. She likes to burrow under the blankets to sleep. She does this in good weather too. But she seems to come out from her nest on sunny days.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willy is actually more active on dark, rainy days.

He is a sundial and sleeps in rays of sunshine whenever they come through my windows (I live in an apartment building with another building across the alley, and the sun only hits my windows directly for maybe 4 hours a day).

Willy always knows exactly when the sun is coming through, and sleeps on his cat tree for most of it, then moves to one of his beds as the sunlight shifts onto it.

So on days that are cloudy or dark, he actually sleeps less, and is more active and bored.

Attachments

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 16 year old cat wouldn't leave my room and would sleep all day if it was rainy. During the winter he would also stay in my room all day. Sun spots weren't warm enough in winter. On sunny days during the spring, summer and fall he would move from spot-to-spot sleeping in sunshine patches.

With my kittens its less clear. They are usually active regardless of weather. If I stay in bed, they will stay close by.

Pi's_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think because if they were living in the jungle they would stay where it was dryer and rest during a lot of rain. Because they probably wouldn't catch much food anyway. And their inner jungle cat remembers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love all of the responses here! Glad it’s not just my two boys. I mean both are more active after dinner, late night and early morning. But on days when there is no sun or it’s raining they rather sleep all day. They will only get up when they are hungry, need to use the litter box or they know I am getting treats. I mean I don’t even have to touch the treat bag soon as I open the cabinet door where it’s at they come running or appear out of nowhere! Today was a non sunny day they did play a little but then napped til dinner they are napping now. They will probably get up when it’s time for their 2nd wet food feeding in a few hours. Glad to know everyone’s kitties are lazy like mine 😂

oh I forgot the strays that are outside only 3 stay in the cathouse I redid for them for winter. Even they sleep more on rainy/non sunny days. If I go on my back porch I will maybe see one unless it’s feeding time.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to know everyone’s kitties are lazy like mine 😂
Even though my cat Willy has the opposite response to no-sunshine weather, he is still lazy. But he gets a pass... he's in chemotherapy right now (and doing great).

But he always has been sleepier in sunshine than in darkness. All his life, even as a young cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even though my cat Willy has the opposite response to no-sunshine weather, he is still lazy. But he gets a pass... he's in chemotherapy right now (and doing great).

But he always has been sleepier in sunshine than in darkness. All his life, even as a young cat.
Aww I hope your kitty keeps doing great. My boys are usually 50/50 depending on if they feel like causing chaos or not. Maybe it’s cause they both are indoor cats or maybe it’s just how they are for an orange and white cat. 😂 Now my last kitty Skeeter even though he was an indoor/outdoor cat no matter where he was whether it’s indoor or outdoor he was always lazy. You couldn’t bother him at all even food wouldn’t make him move. He would only move when he wanted to. I miss my grumpy old man Skeeter passed at 16 in 2021 before I found Casper.