Do pregnant cat eat chicken bones?

cookiez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat used to liked to eat the chicken bones i used to leave for her in her bowl but since she got pregnant she does not eat them anymore.

Why is this?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you talking about RAW chicken bones?  I sure hope so, because you should never feed cooked bones to cats (or dogs). They can splinter and cause grave harm.

As to why she isn't liking them anymore, who can say.  Maybe her tastes are changing along with her hormones.  Pregnant woman supposedly crave all kinds of weird foods,...can't say, never was pregnant.  So maybe it's the reverse too...maybe some foods are a turn off, for both humans AND cats. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks,,, I have been feeding her cooked chicken bones since I adopted her. So I don't understand, because I brang her to the vet for a health check and they said she was fine.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be just fine.  Feeding cooked bones CAN cause problems.  They can splinter and perforate their intestines.  Doesn't mean they wlll, but why run the risk?  Feeding RAW bones is wonderful for cats.  It's great for cleaning their teeth,( although you don't want to feed them too many bones, because that would give them too much calcium.)  You could even toss her a raw chicken wing and see what she does with it.