Do my 5 month old kittens need an E-Collar after spaying?

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The doctor just included it in our proposal. But it looks like with the absorbable sutures it should be ok? I am also thinking they spay feral cats and kittens and just let them go without any e-collar. How is this different?

Also, how do I make sure the incision is small? Is there a different type of procedure they do? What is it called? Thank you! :heartshape:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the vet and have a talk with them. Some vets do a smaller incision (sometimes called keyhole) on a regular basis, and some charge extra (it takes longer).

As for cones, this is on a case-by-case basis. Most cats don't need a cone, but you should take one home with you just in case your cat starts chewing her stitches in the middle of the night.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
No cat likes a cone and I can't think of a one who tolerates them. If you have a persistent stitch chewing kitty, a onesie or a baby's t-shirt safety pinned at the collar will help.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never used a cone on a post-spay kitty and they've done fine. You could always use a baby onesie or sock to cover the area depending on the age and size of your kitty.