Do Mom Cats Usually Get Along With Their Offspring As Adults?

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are fostering a mom and 7 kittens. We are keeping two kittens for sure. We are considering keeping the mom. I am wondering what the likelihood of her getting along with her kittens as they become adults are? We are keeping a boy and a girl kitten. Would three cats make an imbalance? Or would it be ok because they are related? Also, Ive only had two cats at once before. How much harder is it to have a third cat? I think the shelter is willing to let me foster her for a bit after I return the other 5 kittens at 8 weeks. How long would be a good amount of time to make sure they will all get along? Momma Cat is such a sweetheart, and is soooo good with my kids (1.5 and 6.5). She is very good with her kittens, and gets along with them now of course. As of yeterday she just started jumping the baby gate and leaving her kittens (they are 6 weeks now, we have had them for 2 weeks). I suspect she may be entering a first heat, or maybe just needs space from them and to wean them. Anyway, any insight and advice on what I should think about when considering three cats would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience yes, mom cats do get along with their offspring. But there is a time, which can last months, when the mom cat is weaning and pushing her kittens to be independent when she may slap and hiss at them. You do want to get mom spayed as soon as kittens are weaned because part of this behavior is hormonal. As far as three versus two cats, not much difference except more litterbox cleaning. The kittens will play together and mom will join in so I think it will be a great family group.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats have their unique personalities, so I can only speak about my experience. We took in a very pregnant Jasmine who gave birth to 3 little girls. We kept them all. That was 9 years ago. They all get along fine except Zuzu occasionally will aggravate her mom. At 9 years she's STILL trying to nurse on her mom. Jasmine will give her a swat and Zuzu will stop (for a while at least).
Other than that, they all get along well. They groom each other and nap together. Happy family.:)
As for having 3 cats...well, we have 7 so all I can say is as long as you have the space, time, and money for vet care, the more the merrier!:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All cats have their unique personalities, so I can only speak about my experience. We took in a very pregnant Jasmine who gave birth to 3 little girls. We kept them all. That was 9 years ago. They all get along fine except Zuzu occasionally will aggravate her mom. At 9 years she's STILL trying to nurse on her mom. Jasmine will give her a swat and Zuzu will stop (for a while at least).
Other than that, they all get along well. They groom each other and nap together. Happy family.:)
As for having 3 cats...well, we have 7 so all I can say is as long as you have the space, time, and money for vet care, the more the merrier!:D
I can’t believe the 9 year old cats wants to nurse on her mom still lol, she is old enough to be a great grandmother! Nursing is another issue I need to think about as the mother will need to be spayed asap, but they said I need to make sure her milk dries up first, which will be hard as I’ll have to kepe them separated for a couple weeks.

Thanks for the replies. I keep wavering back and forth. It’s such a long commitment I want to be sure!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've seen Moms who are super sad when their kittens are rehomed. My Mom grew up in a rural area and her barn cat would cry looking for her babies for weeks when the kittens went to their new homes (which lead to my Mom begging her Mom to get the cat spayed but different times). On the other hand, I've seen Moms who come back from their spay surgery and want nothing to do with their kittens after just a few days apart. I think Beth Stern had one foster she had a home lined up for the mom and daughter to stay together; but the Mom full on attacked the kitten within a week of the surgery.

There is no way to know for sure until you get Mom spayed and see how she takes to the kittens after the surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I’ve decided to go ahead and adopt mom too. Fingers crossed everything works out between her and the two kittens. I feel fairly confident it will, she just doesnt seem like the type to ever attack her kittens. She is a real sweetheart. Thanks everyone for your input :)