Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Do Male Cats Understand A Female Cat Is Spayed?

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by MissClouseau, Jun 12, 2019 at 5:49 AM.

1. MissClouseau

MissClouseau Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Feb 20, 2019
    Istanbul, Turkey
    There are two female stray cats here. One is for sure spayed as her ear is clipped. The other we are not sure -- she never showed typical signs of heat and never gave birth. Intact male cats ignore the spayed one. But they do "serenade" the one we are not sure.

My best guess is she's not spayed but there's infertility issues, or a hormonal problem that makes her not want to mate while still releasing pheromones the male cats can smell (if it's at all possible.)

2. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Sep 6, 2016
    Southern California
    Male cats, and even the female cats themselves, wouldn't understand that a cat is spayed. They would understand if the female isnt producing the hormones, giving off a scent of fertility and/or not yowling to attract attention. Since cats don't mate for affection or self satisfaction there is no point in mating if the female isnt fertile and it won't produce offspring. If the males are serenading the other female she likely is still fertile and should be spayed.

danteshuman purraised this.

3. MissClouseau

Feb 20, 2019
    Istanbul, Turkey
    That's my guess as well but the vet says because she didn't get pregnant at least since 2017, she must be spayed. I find it more likely for her to have a hormonal health problem/infertility.

4. lutece

lutece TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 8, 2018
    Males can tell when a female is in heat by her scent, and they will be more excited when a female is in heat. But many sexually mature males will also try to mate with females that aren't in heat, spayed females, male cats, kittens, stuffed animals, blankets, etc. Male behavior isn't a definite indication one way or another of whether a female is spayed.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    MissClouseau purraised this.

5. lutece

Mar 8, 2018
    I'm not sure what you mean about cats not mating for self satisfaction? Intact male cats get really horny, have a powerful desire to mate, and they do seem to derive satisfaction from mating. It's pretty common for males to try to hump anything they can...

danteshuman, ArchyCat and DreamerRose purraised this.

6. MissClouseau

Feb 20, 2019
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Can they smell it's a female WITHOUT her being in heat? They don't serenade other male cats but they do serenade this female cat.

7. lutece

Mar 8, 2018
    If a female isn't spayed, but isn't in heat at the moment, she probably smells similar to a spayed female... but we don't know exactly what male cats can smell.

If I were you, I would take this female in to be spayed (and if she's an outdoor cat, have her ear tipped). She might have already been spayed, in that case they can find out for sure and close her up and she will not have to go through it again. Alternatively, she might have been incompletely spayed with some tissue remaining... or she might have never been spayed and just hasn't become pregnant yet for some reason.

8. MissClouseau

Feb 20, 2019
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Unfortunately I can't really do anything right now. Funny enough I'm in a very similar situation with my own cat as well and her health doesn't allow surgery still. (We are gonna do tests in September, if her health allows then. Fingers crossed!) With my cat at least I can say "Well she's outdoors only for couple hours a day" but this other cat, stray, she's outdoors 24/7. I keep scaring off male cats when they get close to her in case she's not spayed so I'm trying to figure out if it's for no reason.

9. talkingpeanut

talkingpeanut TCS Member Top Cat

Oct 12, 2015
    Please keep your girl who isn’t spayed 100% inside! It’s not worth the risk, especially if she has health issues.

CatLover49 purraised this.

10. lutece

Mar 8, 2018
    It literally only takes a few seconds for a cat to successfully mate... they can mate while your back is turned for just a moment. So, trying to scare away males isn't an effective birth control method for either cat, if they are fertile females.

11. MissClouseau

Feb 20, 2019
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I would if I could. Not possible.

ArchyCat purraised this.

12. MoonstoneWolf

MoonstoneWolf TCS Member Alpha Cat

Apr 15, 2019
    I don't know. When I grew up we had a spayed female (Mom took her to be spayed) and the male dogs still tried to mate with her. Not sure if the same with cats are not.

13. talkingpeanut

Oct 12, 2015
    Why not possible? You are risking her life if she gets pregnant with health issues.

14. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    She's a stray, not her cat.

15. MissClouseau

Feb 20, 2019
    Istanbul, Turkey
    No offense but I hear a version of this anti-outdoor every single time I mention the cats go out and you can imagine it reaaaaalllly got tiring to explain. But please understand not everyone in the world or their cats have the same circumstances. We all want the best for our cats. That’s why we are on this website :-)

16. talkingpeanut

Oct 12, 2015
    I am referring to her indoor cat, who has health issues which are preventing her from being spayed. Unless I have misunderstood, there are two cats here.

I am not referring to letting cats outside in general. I’m concerned for your cat in particular because of her health issues. I was also hoping we could help you to troubleshoot since you said you would keep her in if you could.

17. MissClouseau

Feb 20, 2019
    Istanbul, Turkey
    You are sweet to want to help in case there’s something I haven’t tried but no need. :-)

18. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Sep 6, 2016
    Southern California
    I have not had experience with unaltered cats, mine are always neutered. My understanding was they don't mate like humans do just for the satisfaction of it. If I am wrong, I stand corrected.