do male cats spray once they have been neutered

layla 100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there this is my 1st time on here my 1st ever cat Misty who is 9 months old gave birth to 4 of the cutest kittens on tuesday afternoon i new there was a possibilty she was pregnant as she escaped once while in heat she will be getting spayed a.s.a.p now i have 3 boys and 1 girls im considering keepin 1 but as i would like to keep him or her in doors im a bit conserned about cat spray and would like to know if i keep a male will he spray once he has been nutered?

Last edited by a moderator:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. My males do not spray and Miagi was neutered at 1 year old after we got him. I am not sure when Tiger was neutered as I adopted him at 4 years old and he was already fixed. But he has never sprayed. 

My aunt's cat Oliver (RIP) sprayed and he was never neutered. It is more of a behavioral thing but I think neutering the cat reduces the chance of spraying since he won't have testicles and feel the need to mark.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you talking about a male that was neutered before he became sexually mature?  If so, the answer is no, they won't.  If you mean a male that was full grown before being neutered, mostly no, but some keep trying to do it.

The best thing is to have the kitten neutered before 4 months.  Then keep them indoors, unless you have a screened-in porch or something similar.  This is to make sure they don't get killed by cars, predators, or cat-haters.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you talking about a male that was neutered before he became sexually mature?  If so, the answer is no, they won't.
It can't really be said with certainty that they won't. Some will. Some females will spray, too, even those spayed young. Usually it's stress or rivalry that sets them off. But a neutered male is no more likely to spray than a female, and spayed/neutered cats of either gender are far less likely to spray than intact cats. Probably 99% of intact toms spray, and quite prolifically!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

layla 100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there this is my 1st time on here my 1st ever cat Misty who is 9 months old gave birth to 4 of the cutest kittens on tuesday afternoon i new there was a possibilty she was pregnant as she escaped once while in heat she will be getting spayed a.s.a.p now i have 3 boys and 1 girls im considering keepin 1 but as i would like to keep him or her in doors im a bit conserned about cat spray and would like to know if i keep a male will he spray once he has been nutered?
Are you talking about a male that was neutered before he became sexually mature?  If so, the answer is no, they won't.  If you mean a male that was full grown before being neutered, mostly no, but some keep trying to do it.

The best thing is to have the kitten neutered before 4 months.  Then keep them indoors, unless you have a screened-in porch or something similar.  This is to make sure they don't get killed by cars, predators, or cat-haters.
im talking about 1 of the kittens i am considering keepin they are 6days old at the moment i shall get him done as soon as i can thanks 4 that x

layla 100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
looks like a double appoinment for my kitties then not taking no chances lol thanks hun

layla 100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your help n i shall get some pics up on here 2moro :-)

layla 100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ewww he sure will be gettin nutered then cat pee reeks cheers 4 the help x

layla 100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. My males do not spray and Miagi was neutered at 1 year old after we got him. I am not sure when Tiger was neutered as I adopted him at 4 years old and he was already fixed. But he has never sprayed. 

My aunt's cat Oliver (RIP) sprayed and he was never neutered. It is more of a behavioral thing but I think neutering the cat reduces the chance of spraying since he won't have testicles and feel the need to mark.
very helpful thanks

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful. Getting them both fixed will let them retain their kitten playfulness, instead of the hormone-driven need to mate. My Silly is 13, and still plays like a kitten sometimes.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  <snipped> It is more of a behavioral thing but I think neutering the cat reduces the chance of spraying since he won't have testicles and feel the need to mark.<snipped>
. I also, want to add my
, that, are based off of my personal experience. So, please keep that in mind. I have a eight (8) year old DSH. Shadow, was, spayed when she was about two pounds. However, she, is still very capable of spraying. She spends a great deal of time, spraying/marking, her territory. Shadow, does not spray indoors, thank God. But, anything new in her territory, that is outside, will get sprayed/marked on to "high heaven".

thetigerden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my cats are spayed/neutered and none spray. I hear it can sometimes still happen for the males, but more often than not, it doesn't. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats are spayed/neutered and none spray. I hear it can sometimes still happen for the males, but more often than not, it doesn't. 
It can still happen for females, too. . .trust me ;). But it is true that neutered cats usually don't spray. But I don't want anyone thinking that neutered cats of either gender can't spray (I've heard people say that), or won't ever spray. I'd hate to give anyone false expectations.

Last edited: