do kitties respond to name like a dog?

cman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Casey used to come no matter what when I called her name.

Smokey is finally learning his name and will come if he wants to. A lot of times, he'll look at me when I say his name though.

Abby, well, she's just "clueless" (you would understand if you met her). She just comes and I'm not sure if it's because I said her name or if it's because I'm making noise and she loves attention.

~C

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 2 kitties respond to their names. LILO is 1 year old and GARFIELD is 9 weeks old. I think it just depends on the tone in your voice. If my babies know I am mad they respond alright .... by running the opposite direction.. hehe. But no really ... when I am ready to put Lilo inside for the night and she is out somewhere playing and I have no idea where she is ... I just make a kissy sound with my lips really loud and call her name and she meets me at my feet in no time!! Garfield is just learning his name but he recognizes that it is HIM.
PS. I LOVE the name SPLAT!! Different and cute.
When my girls and I received LILO from someone for free.. we also got her brother STITCH. So we had LILO & STITCH!! hehe

Which I loved dearly. But STITCH left us way too early about 4 months ago.

Kepp your babies name ... it is his/her identity now whether he/she seems to respond or not.

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my boys respond to their names. Sam always talks to me when I say his name, but Frodo's usually a little more picky as to if he feels like coming or talking to me. Honestly, it may have to do with tone of voice. I talk to my cats in a higher voice than my husband, who can't seem to get their attention if he doesn't say it like me.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixel will look at me when i call her name, & sometimes come. Cable, too - but Pixel also looked & came when i called Mouse. i'm not sure she realized which one was her, but she knew those were her & Mouse's names. since i got them as kittens together, they both heard both names all the time.
but they never respond the way a dog does - just too independent!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats respond to their names, especially the bobbrats. Amber and Boris also respond quite well to the word Chicken!! All I have to say is, "who wants chicken"? and I hear a strom of bobcat feet come running

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It talks alot of training but it can be done. Use a clicker and food to reward good behavior. It takes alot of patience. There are books out there that will give you step by step instructions...good luck

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, at least my Marsh does come when i call, although i do have to run around the house and scream "MAAARRRSSSHHHH" for about 30sec for him to show himself

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

I thought ALL cats responded to the "Mom" tone of voice. you know, when they've done something they know they shouldn't, and you catch them. . .

BelLAAA!!!!

Bella actually responds to "down" as in "get down off that counter NOW!"
LOL- Smokie responds MUCH faster to "SMOKIE GET DOWN!" than "heeeere Smokie..." She's like, "Yeah, right..."

But wiggle that treat bag and you've never seen a cat move so fast!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dori definately acknowledges that she hears me. Her head always perks up when I say her name, even if I am just having a phone conversation about her and don't want her for anything. BUT I would say that only 30% of the time does she actually get up and come to me when I want her to. She usually just stares at me no matter how many times I call her and I always end up going to pick her up and get her myself. So I think that she is doing some sort of mind trick and really calling me over to her

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grizzly always comes, Ox well I never really never have to call him, Bobber she's never comes and Bakker hardly responds at all. So I'm not a good resource.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovey always comes running to his name.
But then he likely thinks I have food in hand

And if we are in the same room, his head whips around to see what I want now.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats respond to their names. Charlotte will come faster if I say either "Charlotte...hungry?" or "Charlotte...wanna play?". Izzie will come running out of no where if I raise my voice. This includes singing!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuls99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Splat responds to wanna go outside....outside meaning leaving the room to go play somewhere else in the house. As soon as I say outside she responds with a lil chirp and runs for the office door.
She also likes to come sit on my lap when singing certain groups like rush or jim croce for some reason.
She absolutely hates the drum room though...lol

andeshan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Isis definitly knows her name. ( Isis stop that! Isis get down! Isicle!!! Isis leave that alone! Grrrrrr Isicle!!!) Of course Isis is a Traditional Siamese and has a mind of her own. She talks back when she hears her name (like most teenagers) and tends to ignore you most of the time (like ALL teenagers).

Samona I can not tell one way or another if she knows her name but most of the time will look at me when I say her name.

Jazz definitly knows her name. She also knows the words: outside, no, milk, inside, food, and can opener.

The 5 Boys (kittens) are learning but they are only 6 weeks old.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Oliver will come running alllll the way across the house if he hears his name...but Emma can't be bothered! She's responded to her name a few times, so I know she knows it...I think she just can't be bothered! Lol! She's definitely our spunky one!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just realized this morning, that mine have a name they share: "YOU TWO" it's only ever two -- as in "HEY, YOU TWO, CUT THAT OUT!!" And their heads swivel in my direction and they DO "cut that out".
More often than not it's directed at Cindy and Suzy, but sometimes at Cindy and Fawn.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sasha responded to his name almost immediately, but I've had him since about day 3 of his life.
Saba just joined us this past winter and she now knows her name.....but she's very independent and won't let us know she understands, but she does. Food time gives that away. I can say "Saba! Dinner! Saba!" and she'll come running even before she hears anything in the kitchen. But if it's a different moment and I say "Saba!" she won't even flinch or acknowledge me.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Peaches, responds very well to her name. Even if I am just talking about her to someone here in the house and mention her name, she pops her head up and looks over at us. It's funny. My other cats do too but it's more sporadic and depends more on my tone of voice.

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine definitely know and respond to their names. They also respond to the sound of a can being opened!
Cats are very smart, and they use that to their advantage, not yours.