Do Kittens Start Being Not As Social After 8 Months My Spencer Is Almost Actually Nine Months In A C

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Spencer is almost actually nine months in a couple of weeks. He’s always been a very friendly kitten. I had a lot of company today but in different intervals. But even when I just had my parents over him he’s usually super friendly and affectionate with, he barely stayed in the same room with us and barely show them any attention. He seemed pretty tired all day but would play when I will get the laser toy out. Do kittens have ups and downs in their behavior and affection level? I feel like he’s turning into a teenager. Will he grow out of this? I was hoping he would stay super friendly with everybody. Of course all the people that came over today were family and they’re all dog people so they don’t understand how cats are etc.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to all your questions. He also might have been slightly stressed over the amount of company you had over. Is he neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes to all your questions. He also might have been slightly stressed over the amount of company you had over. Is he neutered?
He’s been neutered since I got him at 3 1/2 months. He was like that when my parents were over first and he is usually really friendly with them because they’re older and very chill. Maybe he’s just going through the teenage years or something. Right now he is sleeping on my lap which makes me feel better about things ..Thanks for responding. I was just wondering if it was normal for the change of behavior.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat just went through the "I'm going to ignore you" phase. it happened around 7-8 months? now he's a year old, he's more clingy again. The change wasn't too dramatic though, he just didn't climb into my lap or snuggled as much anymore. I didn't really notice until he started hopping in my lap again. lol

• Purraise
Reactions: Jwa

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat just went through the "I'm going to ignore you" phase. it happened around 7-8 months? now he's a year old, he's more clingy again. The change wasn't too dramatic though, he just didn't climb into my lap or snuggled as much anymore. I didn't really notice until he started hopping in my lap again. lol
Thanks! He’s def going through a stage. Every day is different. I was just so shocked because usually when I have company even the week before he gets so excited to see people and he is so affectionate. This time he he acted like he could take or leave everybody. He stayed in the room which was good and went up to people eventually but not like usual. Plus like with me he hasn’t been as cuddly either except last night he did snuggle for a few hours on my lap.

Can’t wait for the neediness to come back ..haha

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep...got it first time out! He's a teenager, and almost anything is better than hanging out with the 'rents. Give him a few months, and he'll be himself again!

• Purraise

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep...got it first time out! He's a teenager, and almost anything is better than hanging out with the 'rents. Give him a few months, and he'll be himself again!
Ahhhh! Can’t wait!
Big thx to all who replied. And yes I feel so ignored!

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10 months old...not friendly at all with guests like he used to be...sits on my lap maybe once a week..
Waiting for my love bug to come back..
Not enjoying this stage at all. My Speedy that passed last November never went through this,,he was always clingy.....grrrr...
Just needed to vent to people who understood!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can go through an independence phase. My Apollo went from sleeping on or next to me every night to sleeping downstairs alone on our love seat. He also decided that he only wanted attention or cuddles on his terms. If you tried to interact with him when he was not in the mood for cuddles or pets he would run away from you. He is now a daddy's kid. He sleeps on my hubby and prefers to cuddle with him mostly. He will hang out on the couch or the bed near me but if I pet him at the wrong time he will run away. He is affectionate with me right after he eats in the morning before I leave for work. He will talk to me when hubby is not home to complain. I have discovered recently that he likes being brushed even though he has short hair that does need to brushed. I wash brushing one of my other cats and he kept getting in the way. I decided to brush him to see how he would react. He actually climbed in my lap and started purring when I brushed him. He only asks to brushed when I am brushing another cat. I have learned to accept that Apollo shows me love by being near me, talking to me and sometimes asking me to pet him on the couch or the bed.

I have found that the best thing to do is ignore Apollo when he is hanging out near me and let him come to me when he wants cuddles. He does tend to cuddle with me more when I do this. It is hard but do not force interaction and let Spencer come to you when he is ready. This independence phase will end when Spencer is ready for it to end. All you can do is love him on his terms for now.

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can go through an independence phase. My Apollo went from sleeping on or next to me every night to sleeping downstairs alone on our love seat. He also decided that he only wanted attention or cuddles on his terms. If you tried to interact with him when he was not in the mood for cuddles or pets he would run away from you. He is now a daddy's kid. He sleeps on my hubby and prefers to cuddle with him mostly. He will hang out on the couch or the bed near me but if I pet him at the wrong time he will run away. He is affectionate with me right after he eats in the morning before I leave for work. He will talk to me when hubby is not home to complain. I have discovered recently that he likes being brushed even though he has short hair that does need to brushed. I wash brushing one of my other cats and he kept getting in the way. I decided to brush him to see how he would react. He actually climbed in my lap and started purring when I brushed him. He only asks to brushed when I am brushing another cat. I have learned to accept that Apollo shows me love by being near me, talking to me and sometimes asking me to pet him on the couch or the bed.

I have found that the best thing to do is ignore Apollo when he is hanging out near me and let him come to me when he wants cuddles. He does tend to cuddle with me more when I do this. It is hard but do not force interaction and let Spencer come to you when he is ready. This independence phase will end when Spencer is ready for it to end. All you can do is love him on his terms for now.
Thanks so much. Your reply is greatLy appreciated...I’m still waiting! Haha ..now he’s trying to attack my feet at times with his mouth. He’s an aggressive one..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hiss at him when he bites you. yes, he's a teenager, but teens as children and adults need boundaries.

This phase goes much faster in cats than in human children which is something. Use it as a time to do all those little things you don't really want him to help with - cleaning out closets, the attic, the basement,
doing all the mending in the basket you've been putting off since he
wanted to play with the needle and thread...

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. Your reply is greatLy appreciated...I’m still waiting! Haha ..now he’s trying to attack my feet at times with his mouth. He’s an aggressive one..
I am glad I was able to help you.This sounds like it may be play to me. You could try re-directing him with a toy. Hopefully this is something he will out grow. The family cat we had when I was a kid loved to attack ankles with her nails and claws when anyone was walking. I carried a toy ball around with me and would throw it to keep her from attacking me. She was an under socialized young kitten at the time. Distracting her with something else to chase helped a lot. She did outgrow this behavior eventually. This was a long time ago so I do not remember how long it took her to outgrow this behavior. The shelter we adopted her from told us she was eight weeks old and she was only 3 weeks old. Our vet was not amused that the shelter adopted out a kitten that young. She was found as an orphan our vet called the shelter to let them know what happened during our appointment. They offered to let us return the kitten and our vet told them no and that he would teach us how to take care of her. My mom did not work and stayed home to take care of the kids so she was able to handle being a mommy to a young kitten too. He volunteered to go to the shelter and teach the volunteers and staff how to better estimate the age of kittens.

• Purraise